PDA

View Full Version : Opportunities in the USA for Engineers

airsafetyreport
8th Feb 2000, 12:26
Can anyone please advise if it is possible for a lowly UK licensed engineer to obtain work in the USA. Do American companies hire engineers?

Any advice would be appreciated

Bubbette
8th Feb 2000, 19:05
You can't do it without a green card. And it's not likely you'll get one unless you marry an American.

weasil
9th Feb 2000, 12:01
actually there are plenty of ways around having a greencard. and the US is desperate for mechanics. The company I study at is crying out for mechanics...

You should start contacting a few with your resume and ring them up!!!!

------------------
"..You must ensure you don't cross his nose, give him a shot at you. That is critical!" Malan

airsafetyreport
9th Feb 2000, 12:08
Weasil,

So there is light at the end if the tunnel. Can I be brave and ask which company you are studying at?

Bubbette
9th Feb 2000, 18:39
What do you mean plenty of ways? Studying in the US is not the same as working in the US.

weasil
13th Feb 2000, 23:53
One guy I have met who used to study here came from Europe and he has stayed in the US working for several years under various visas.. b-1 c-1 etc..

You simply have to make contacts.

Cyclic Hotline
14th Feb 2000, 03:04
As previously mentioned, the difficulty is in obtaining a Green Card or any type of Work Permit, permitting legal employment. Although I do know of individuals who have been in on Work Permits, they are few and far between. (Some of them were one-way bogus deals).
Green Card lottery is one way in, not too many options beyond that. I occasionally get resume's from the UK, but none with the right to work. We cannot get work permits for maintenance personnel, OR pilots.
Try writing to Operators, you never know who might have something on the go, you won't find out until you try.
You should also look at getting your A&P licence as a pre-requisite for entering the US aviation business. The regulations are straight forward and clearly defined, all are available on the Internet. You can study tourself, and gain an A&P.
There are also A&P schools offering full time 1 year courses, leading to an A&P.
I am not sure if these schools are able to offer visa's that permit employment, but it might be worth looking into.
Good luck. Its a pretty good business over here, if you can get a decent job. There are excellent rewards, but you need to work hard to get them!

JJflyer
14th Feb 2000, 19:03
It makes it a lot easier if you have a speciality ... Say you are trained in an aircraft like th BAE146 ( Avro ) Or any other aircraft that is not that common in US.
So keep sending those CV's and contact the comoany directly. Best way is to visit the company that seems most promising in person.

For Visa information try the Immigration website. If I remeber it correctly it is www.ins.gov. (http://www.ins.gov.) There you get a brief description of all types of Visas available.
for any other info you need to contact your local consulate.

JJ

ironbutt57
16th Feb 2000, 11:11
over here we call 'em mechanics, probably lots of jobs, but not lots of dollars, same for pilots which is why i'm overseas...good luck marry a yank? well...maybe get a job at burger king before you do that....

airsafetyreport
16th Feb 2000, 12:07
okay it seems my best chance is to marry a young rich single male American. Any offers!

Thanks for all your advice.

ironbutt57
16th Feb 2000, 23:42
if they're rich, they're probably (not always) smart enough to stay out of aviation, or the wedding chapel (two places to turn a large fortune into a small one)...but good luck...