PDA

View Full Version : Getting an FAA Licence

Bombay Sapphire
9th Sep 2000, 16:21
I've tried damned hard to get in contact with the FAA by e-mail. The website doesn't seem to be much help.

I want to get my FAA licence. Can anyone tell me who to contact re: foriegn licence validation?

------------------
If it's not Bombay, then it's not Bombay.

CONVAIR
9th Sep 2000, 18:36
This is for both inquiries on FAA conversion. You may convert whatever license you have to an FAA endorsement up to Commercial level by showing your ICAO license to the FAA and receiveing a restricted FAA license. This restriction will allow you to fly US airplanes of the same category as you are rated but you may not fly for hire. To get an FAA license is quite easy by European standards. Simply take the appropriate written exam and a few hours of training and a checkride. If you are really good, you could probably do it without much training. If you are receiving a type rating, the ATPL and type are the same ride and you only need to have the written exam and your type checkride and you will receive an ATPL with a type endorsement. At the worse, it might take a month.Much easier than anywhere in Europe I believe!!!

NIMBUS
12th Sep 2000, 21:55
For a PPL, all you have to do is present your "foreign" (any ICAO country!) licence and medical at any Flight Standards District Office. You will then be given an FAA PPL. No exams, training, etc. Normal checkout at any club you want to rent from, and away you go!

Kiwi Flyer
16th Sep 2000, 16:14
What about the FAA IR. I hope to go over to the states soon and convert to an FAA comm, but I also want to get the IR as well, which I dont currently have. Any ideas on the procedure? Cost? or good schools?

I have some IF training already, about 30 hours, just never got it finished so that might count towards the total.

[This message has been edited by Kiwi Flyer (edited 16 September 2000).]