PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 medical and weight

iain32
2nd Mar 2008, 19:13
hi all,
I recently checked my BMI and it was around 28. I am 6ft 5 and almost 17 stone. You dont notice the weight due to my size. I wanted to know whether my weight would be a problem for my medical and if my BMI was accurate for my weight and height.

Thanks

parkfell
3rd Mar 2008, 05:13
BMI is purely a function of height and not the type of frame you have ~ "thin or stocky". The acid test I suspect is probably your blood pressure which can increase if you are "overweight". The BMI definition of overweight is exceeding 25.

At 6' 5" some aircraft flightdecks might prove to be somewhat tight.

Quintilian
5th Mar 2008, 10:27
Don't think it will be a problem :)

I'm aboutish 32 (BMIish), and I got my Class 2 withot the doc even mentioning it.

TH

MaxReheat
8th Mar 2008, 10:36
Don't worry. There are a lot of fat b.......ds holding Class1 medicals.......and I mean fat! Whilst BMI has been shown to a rather hit and miss measurement basis (I would have thought 6'5'' at 17st would not look at all out of place - probably the going rate for a second row, I'd have thought) I'm surprised that medicals are granted to individuals who are clearly carrying a lot of extra weight around. So, you can be a smoking, drinking, lazy, overweight couch potato on the verge of a heart attack - but as long as you haven't got one of the myriad of obscure heart blips you can be grounded for, the CAA is quite happy for Mr Lardy to sit up front.