PDA

View Full Version : FAA CPL restriction musings

moonym20
2nd Mar 2008, 18:18
hi, based on the advice of various members here (thanks) i decided to head over to the US from the UK to gain my FAA CPL/IR.

can anyone offer me advice (or confirm my fears?) on somthing. due to a very minor issue with the Class 1 medical in the UK and the CAA acting as usual i had to take the FAA route to get my CPL ticket.

I know what i can do with 'N' reg aircraft in the UK but someone once told me that with an FAA CPL ticket i could also fly 'G' reg aircraft under Day VFR only conditions in the UK and still recieve potential payment for this. I have looked in the FAA's AIM but am still trying to decode an answer from that, i am reluctant to ask the CAA as i fear i will be nearing retirement before i get a deffinate answer from them.

any advice or hints would be great!

Thanks again :ok:

SNS3Guppy
2nd Mar 2008, 20:19
You appear to be asking if you can use a FAA commercial certificate to fly for compensation or hire in the UK in UK registered aircraft. that is a question to be ansered by the CAA...becuase you're talking about operating in the UK.

You will not find answers to that question in the AIM, as the AIM is not regulatory. It's a guide compiling information from various regulations, advisory circulars, etc, and serves as a standardization document detailing particulars of airspace, procedures, roles, etc.

You won't find that question in the United States Code of Federal Regulations, Title 14 (sometimes referred to as the "FAR's"), either.

You won't need a first class medical to obtain, or exercise the privileges of a FAA commercial pilot certificate, in the United States. How you use it and what's required in the UK, will be a local issue with which the FAA does not concern itself.

When you do use the FAA certificate, you are subject to the regulations set forth by the FAA, and to the regulations set forth by the country in which you are flying. The FAA does regulate and prescribe what can be done for hire when operating under an FAA certificate. It doesn't tell you what registrations you can fly, however.

moonym20
2nd Mar 2008, 20:43
thanks for your reply, your assumption is correct in that i wish to occasionally operate UK aircraft in UK airspace provided it would be legal, i looked in the AIM/FAR handbook to see if it will offer any information RE restrictions operating foreign aircraft

thanks again for the help :ok:

G-SPOTs Lost
3rd Mar 2008, 13:04
I'm not sure Malc4D has got it right, I will of course be gladly corrected.

If I was you I would get in contact with the IOM aircraft registry in addition to your efforts to get N reg work. Manx registry will validate FAA tickets (means you get paid).

They certainly dont want to start acting as a recruitment agency and are indeed very busy, but the DCA is a very nice chap who might know somebody who might know somebody if you get my meaning.

You stand a better chance of getting a reccomend whilst they have 40 aircraft on the register than when they are trying to look after 400! You might just get lucky but don't make a pain in the arse out of yourself - write first....

Best of Luck

moonym20
4th Mar 2008, 00:24
thanks for the advice :ok: i will look further into the IOM options, im sure i have heard from various sources about the FAA CPL working for remunation in the UK. I guess i will have to try and see what the CAA says as well, im going to speak to an FAA inspector as well to see if he can offer any advice

if I find anything interesting i will let you guys know, thanks again

pilotbear
6th Mar 2008, 01:05
You cannot fly commercially on a G-reg aircraft for reward on an FAA ticket, otherwise no one would bother with the long winded JAA route.
You can fly aircraft that just require a validation ie VP-B VP-C or indeed M reg
If you ring the CAA they will answer you over the phone. I suspect you haven't contacted them because you don't want to hear the answer:E
Why are you going for an FAA ticket? It severely limits your options for employment in Europe.
It is not a shortcut as some people think

moonym20
6th Mar 2008, 05:42
thanks for the reply,

as i said in the first post, due a very minor issue with the Class 1 medical the CAA wont allow me gain one, other wise i would be another happy inhabitent of JAA land,
also i am reluctant to speak with the CAA first off because getting an answer from them is usaually a long drawn out process of questions being answered with questions and so forth, i suspect you may not have made any recent enquiries with the CAA ;) added that fact that the guys on here are well knowlageble of aviation so why not ask for their assistance first.
because of this my only option has been to get an FAA ticket even if it means compromise in the limitation of work which im also well aware of, whats a guy to do? :(