PDA

View Full Version : US flight instructor pay?

polar bear
13th Jan 2000, 18:12
Hi folks,

I posted this already on the "Flying Instructors" forem, but got no response, so I'll give it a try here as well:

I'm curious about the pay a US flight instructor makes on average (per hour)? Thanks to anyone with info!

polar bear :)

------------------
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

-Ernest Hemmingway

DownIn3Green
14th Jan 2000, 22:31
Not good on average. Depending on the locale it could be as low as $8-$10 per hr or as high as $15-$20. This also depends on the CFI's qual's and experience.

I still maintain my certificates but haven't actively instructed for over 12 yrs. Even so, I won't get into a plane to do a BFR or IFR refresher for less than $30 per hour.

The main problem is the cost and liability of the Flight School. They will charge upwards of $25-$30 per hour with the CFI seeing less than half.

polar bear
18th Jan 2000, 12:37
Ok, thanks!! This was exactly what I was looking for. I'm probably going over to the states fairly soon for the "grand package" (CPL, CFI, CFII MEL) on a visa...

polar bear :)

V1-VR-V8
21st Jan 2000, 18:03
Polar Bear,
I instructed in Michigan and Texas a few years back. Think the average pay was 12USD/hour. Make sure you find a school where you are reasonably sure to get some time in. If you are a CFII and even CFIME, your pay will increase but not by much, but your job prospects improve a great deal with CFII. Buy some advance copies of Trade A Plane and target some schools that are always looking for CFII's so you'll know where to go look after you get your ticket. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by V1-VR-V8 (edited 21 January 2000).]