PDA

View Full Version : Depression

Sooty
2nd Mar 2008, 13:56
was just curious whether any pilots out there suffer from depression and whether they take anti-depressants.

If so how does it affect their licence.

Am very curious about this cos have heard a quite substantial amount of cabin crew in a particular Middle East Airline are on anti-depressants.

It goes to say that if this amount of cabin crew are taking them surely there must be many pilots suffering from these symptoms who are either taking medication or are covering it up to protect their licences.

What is better? Getting treatment or covering it up??? :{:uhoh::{

gingernut
2nd Mar 2008, 20:29
Sooty, much as been written about this on this very network recently.

What is better? Getting treatment or covering it up???

It really depends how you define "depression."

If you've bought the rope and planned the rafter from which to dangle it, then you really do need help, and treatment, rather urgently.

If your a bit restless and agitated because something is upsetting you, then a brisk walk round the park with the dog may get your thoughts in order.

Trouble is, most of us sit somewhere in the middle, and you're problems may easily get "medicalised," if you seek help. This may mean you get put on a chemical to help.

From previous posts on this forum,such chemical agents seem to be frowned upon by the authorities.

What's on your mind?

Dream Buster
4th Mar 2008, 07:06
It is well established now that oil fumes in the cabin can poison anybody either in one big hit or over a period of time.

The general effect is to make that person feel ill and because they don't know how or why they got to feel so unwell, they tend to feel 'depressed'.

They eventually go to the doctor and mention the word 'depression'. Most doctors are still in denial about the ill health effects of breathing heated engine oils which contain toxic chemicals including organo phosphates and in their eagerness to 'help' and get on to the next patient......a course of anti depressants is prescribed.

So now we have chemicals already in the body being treated with more chemicals, which at best will mask the problem but can never cure it.

I know because I have been there, but I refused to take the anti depressants when I told the doctor that I wasn't 'depressed' and after reading the side effects!