PDA

View Full Version : Airliner Graveyards in the USA!!!!

Victor Bravo
4th Sep 2000, 07:24
Just wanting some information relating to the "airliner graveyards" in the US at Mojave, and Tuscon. I am travelling to the USA for a holiday and would like to visit those places just out of interest. So if anyone has a website or details, please post them here if you don't mind. Much appreciated!!

Check 6
4th Sep 2000, 21:54
The graveyard in Tucson, Arizona is at Davis-Montham (spelling?) Air Force Base. They offer tours there I believe 1/2 times per week. Located nearby is the Puma Air Museum, which has many warbirds. Mojave Airport is just west of Edwards Air Force Base north of Los Angeles, and East of Bakersfield. I have only flow over it and have seen many old airlines there. Tucson Intl. Airport normally has quite a few old airlines on the West side of the field.

Check 6

------------------
Kick the tires, light the fires, first off is lead, brief on guard.

Tan
4th Sep 2000, 23:24
http://www.azstarnet.com/~chisox/index.htm

rick1128
6th Sep 2000, 06:02
There is another 'graveyard' near Tucson. Just north of Tucson is the town of Marana. The Marana airport is operated by Evergreen Air Center. There is a great deal of Federal activity on the airport and there is a large anount of security in the area. To my knowledge there is no public tours of the facility. Also at one time there was a 'graveyard' at Kingman, Arizona. Most of the aircraft there are regularly cut up. The folks up there are a little more laid back even when there are aircraft there.

Have fun.

gaterbait
11th Sep 2000, 08:18
I was in tuscon about 5 yrs ago & davis-monthan afb was pretty much off- limits to the public. however, the pima county air museum is fantastic. while it used to be small, dmafb gave it a lot of property & also one of everything that was in the graveyard. plan on 2 days to see it all.marana to the best of my knowledge is not open to the public.mojave is a few miles north of edwards afb on hwy 14 in the calif desert, & is definately worth a visit. gb

Victor Bravo
11th Sep 2000, 12:09
Thanks heaps for the info from all of you. If anyone else has any tips or pointers on this topic please put them here. I think I'm going to have to buy shares in Kodak for this trip. Cheers.

C140flyer
14th Sep 2000, 23:10
Mojave has a lot of stored aircraft, but I don't know how accessible the ramp is to visitors. Davis-Monthan has mostly stored military, the tour is necessary as you cannot see all from the perimeter.

Marana Air Park probably has the most airliners in storage, but is VERY offlimits to visitors, as there is but one road leading up to a guard post. Without official business you'll be turned away. You can't see much from the airport fence.

Tucson has cleaned up some of the old airplanes that were sitting on the west side.I think some went to the museum. There are some stored airliners, and some undergoing maint and/or mods at Hamilton Aviation on the west side at TUS.