PDA

View Full Version : possibly flying with aeroflot

flyin_phil
2nd Mar 2008, 11:34
hi guys. i might be flying with aeroflot from LHR to UFA via moscow next week. does anyone have any experience flying on the TU-154? and views on it?

also for checking in, are there self service machines or just the desks at heathrow?

many thanks for as much info as i can get.
im a bit nervous on flying on the tupolevs as i dont know much about them.

thanks. phil

JClassPAX
2nd Mar 2008, 13:54
Try not to. I flew SU many times, all on J or F class. There's usually no entertainment even in F class, and atmosphere is generally deplorable with scary PX coming in from the back to steal your pillows and blankets. Other problems encountered included dripping roofs, closed toilets, and flies onboard. Service is schizophrenic depending on luck (in general the men are more helpful than the females), and there were times they ran out of meats, and all I got was stale boiled fish for dinners. Ground service is even worse, good luck trying to amend the departure dates even for F class passengers, and from what I heard, the Russian government has serious problems with the management of Aeroflot, so not only do they not support the national carrier, they do whatever they can to make lives hard for anyone connected with the airline. Better pay more, take any other airline.

Pax Vobiscum
3rd Mar 2008, 16:02
My last flight in an Aeroflot 'Tridentski' was 22 years ago (when it truly was still 'SU') and hopefully that bird is no longer flying. It was in a really shabby condition with U/S seat recline and I recall having to move seats to find one with a working seat-belt - a fellow pax complained to a stewardess and she came over and tied a knot in it (the seat-belt, that is)!

On the positive side the wide-set undercarriage allows for impressively smooth landings.

SXB
4th Mar 2008, 10:14
Today's Aeroflot (international) services are unrecognizable from those in the 1990's. I've travelled from Frankfurt to Moscow with Aeroflot on a number of occasions and they are absolutely fine, they appear to be using modern A319/320 equipment and their business class service was more than acceptable.

However, Aeroflot domestic services may be different and I would do a lot more research before using them for such a route.

JClassPAX
4th Mar 2008, 10:49
Haha! :}
That reminds me of a trip I did on SU domestic on a TU-154 from Moscow to Petersburg. To begin with, you could hear the engine noise outside during boarding (boarding was via buses in those days, at sheremeteevo). I was in J class, and that was behind the flight deck as they had no F class available. A bluebottle had also gotten onboard and was buzzing all over the cabin, and when I pointed it out to the stewardess, she was like "tak?" in reply (Which means "so?") in English. Ok, so what the hell, it was an hour long flight, how bad could it get right?
Next thing we knew, a guy came rushing up from economy class, and he started chatting up the cabin crew, shaking hands and all. Suddenly, a young stewardess rushed up to him, and they started french kissing right in front of ALL the passengers!! Now this went on a full ten minutes, hands all over the place, you guys get the picture! The reaction from everyone in F class ranged from a few grins, to some pretty disgusted looks from the German executives, and I was like "Hey! Where's the popcorn and soda man??" I guess the horny couple took notice eventually, and they retired to the spot behind the curtain right outside the cockpit. The guy came out 20 minutes later adjusting his suit, face all wet and smudged (with what I don't wanna know!), and he was grinning like a cheshire cat! :E
The rest of the flight was cramped, suffocating and noisy, but the landing was smooth. I was pretty glad to get out at the end, and I would never take that TU series or SU domestic ever again! "Roll roll Rasputin, lover of the Russian queen" was going on and on in my head as I disembarked...:uhoh:

WHBM
4th Mar 2008, 14:21
Oh threads like this on Aeroflot always bring out all sorts of tales.

Aeroflot are fine. So are Rossiya, Transaero, S7 and the other Russian majors. And certainly on the first leg of your trip from London to Moscow if you are in business class the 4-across A321 cabin is light-years ahead of BA's 6-across B767 cabin. As are the furnishings, and the catering.

Arrival and transfer at Sheremetyevo is still something of a bunfight but you'll survive. Just smile.

You will probably have an A321 to Moscow and a Tu154 on to Ufa. If you haven't been on a Tupolev before do enjoy the experience, they are as robust as anything and give an experience of real flying. It's good to see them just roll on and on. Ask after landing if you can view the flight deck, it's very different to an Airbus, starting with everything being painted green. Apparently this comes from a Soviet-era psychology study of the crew.

Things like the seatbacks folding forward flat look different. They are designed to do so to help getting into seats. I have lost count of the numbers who say they are therefore "broken".

Down at the back other westerners comment on the noise from the rear-mounted engines. I guess they have never ridden in that position in an MD80 (which I bet the Tu154 will see out of service).

The number of comments on "smooth landings" in a Tu154 is notable; we all know you "don't" float it in and you "do" touchdown right on your aiming point. Somehow Russian crews manage both. The triple-axle bogies and the robust landing gear must help.

You will probably see quite a lot of alcohol consumed on board. May I assure you this happens in Russia whatever the airframe type !

JEM60
4th Mar 2008, 15:47
Went Moscow Kiev on a TU154. Basic, like a bus [London bus, not Airbus] Best brakes I have ever experienced. I thought we had hit a wall!. Seemed efficient, but not western standards. Also flew in a TU134, even more basic.[goat running up and down the aisle.] Was a few years ago tho, but I expect things have got better.[Flight crew wore flying suits, not uniform.]

JClassPAX
4th Mar 2008, 15:55
Oh threads like this on Aeroflot always bring out all sorts of tales.

Aeroflot are fine. So are Rossiya, Transaero, S7 and the other Russian majors. And certainly on the first leg of your trip from London to Moscow if you are in business class the 4-across A321 cabin is light-years ahead of BA's 6-across B767 cabin. As are the furnishings, and the catering.

Arrival and transfer at Sheremetyevo is still something of a bunfight but you'll survive. Just smile.

You will probably have an A321 to Moscow and a Tu154 on to Ufa. If you haven't been on a Tupolev before do enjoy the experience, they are as robust as anything and give an experience of real flying. It's good to see them just roll on and on. Ask after landing if you can view the flight deck, it's very different to an Airbus, starting with everything being painted green. Apparently this comes from a Soviet-era psychology study of the crew.

Things like the seatbacks folding forward flat look different. They are designed to do so to help getting into seats. I have lost count of the numbers who say they are therefore "broken".

Down at the back other westerners comment on the noise from the rear-mounted engines. I guess they have never ridden in that position in an MD80 (which I bet the Tu154 will see out of service).

The number of comments on "smooth landings" in a Tu154 is notable; we all know you "don't" float it in and you "do" touchdown right on your aiming point. Somehow Russian crews manage both. The triple-axle bogies and the robust landing gear must help.

You will probably see quite a lot of alcohol consumed on board. May I assure you this happens in Russia whatever the airframe type !

Transaero is ok, but kinda pricey these days. Pulkovo is good IMHO, but their butter rolls out of Petersburg really need some improvement! I do find the TU-154s somewhat primitive, but the IL-96s are waaaaay bigger. Took that once from SIN-SOV, was quite pleasant. Only thing was that when we were parked in WSSS, looked out the window, and next to us was a B-777 from JAL! Kinda demoralising...Russian pilots are always well-trained though, just wished they would boot all the babushka flight attendants. :}

flyin_phil
4th Mar 2008, 17:26
ive just booked my flight now. i decided to go with aeroflot, and give those tupolevs a go.
i read into ufa they used to fly tu-134 but theyre now retired. so i will have an A321 to moscow then 2nd leg a tu-154. a whole new experience for me, i think i will actually enjoy it. im seated at the back at moment behind wing which looks like ill get an ear full of the engine lol

JClassPAX
4th Mar 2008, 17:52
ive just booked my flight now. i decided to go with aeroflot, and give those tupolevs a go.
i read into ufa they used to fly tu-134 but theyre now retired. so i will have an A321 to moscow then 2nd leg a tu-154. a whole new experience for me, i think i will actually enjoy it. im seated at the back at moment behind wing which looks like ill get an ear full of the engine lol

Don't drop those earplugs! Good luck! :ok:

flyin_phil
4th Mar 2008, 18:37
Don't drop those earplugs! Good luck! :ok:

i think i should bring my lovely bright yellow ear defenders kindly provided for me by BA. lol
i was a little nervous of these but now im quite excited to go on one and hear that unique sound these soviet jets make

spiney
6th Mar 2008, 06:42
The improvements in Aeroflot in recent years have been dramatic - and you get your Sky Team Miles... I actually like the 154 and although I don't know the precise numbers it seems like a quick ride compared to the more modern families of jets. No worries.

flyin_phil
14th Mar 2008, 15:57
Hi guys, im back and i must say what a nice experience i had on the TU-154.

start off at LHR on the A321, what looked like brand new also when i disembarked it looked new by the engines, the exhaust looked like it was 'raked' smth i didnt see on any other A321 there. also had same aircraft on return to LHR.
The TU-154 (RA-85669 for anyone interested) was a bit nervracking boarding the flight but i soon settled down comfortably at the back row 24. i had such a smooth flight and one of the best take-offs ive ever experienced. landing even better, it felt like they power into the landing, it got faster the closer to the runway, and the landing u just about feel it touch down. then time to hold ur ears!!!!!!!!!! those aircraft can make some noise, worth flying on to hear those soviet engines, also noticed on landing the flaps retract as soon as it touches down. i also had same aircraft out and return to UFA. to my amusement all the 6 empty rows in front of me had the seats flying forward like dominos :}

i recommend anyone flying through russia who hasnt tried a tupolev before to do so, its an experience.

was a bit of a shambles on return flight to LHR though, the cabin crew as beautiful as they are, were not ready with the safety demonstration and aircraft was on runway just as they started. i thing the pilot held on as long as he could but we had to take off, so it was a bit rushed and unfinished. lovely flight and service though, scary moment on finals, aircraft suddenly went all over the place for about 10 seconds throught he thick fog last night arriving 30 mins late. (13th march).

essay over :}

barry lloyd
14th Mar 2008, 17:01
flyin phil:

Didn't have a chance to get my two penn'orth in before you left - I've only just read the posts. Glad you enjoyed (and survived!) the experience. Reassuring perhaps to see that the SU aircraft are registered in Bermuda!
My past flights in that part of the world have included just about everything they've ever built - TU104/134/154, IL86, An 24/26, Yak 40 /42, IL-18, and a few helicopters. Yes, a few of them have been scary, (people standing up throughout the flight because there weren't enough seats etc.,) but I've worked a lot with Russian pilots, and I've never ceased to be impessed by their flying skills, given they equipment they operate.
My long-held ambition is to fly in an IL-76, just for the hell of it!
Regarding the cabin crew not being ready, I posted an item a couple of months ago about a flight from VNO to TAS where the crew were too busy selling booze and sandwiches pre t/o to do a safety demo!

No doubt in years to come, the pages of PPRuNe will be filled with nostalgia for the -154!

WHBM
14th Mar 2008, 17:24
Aeroflot are taking delivery of a few new A321s at the moment so it was likely one of those.

85669 was built in January 1990 so newer than quite a lot of what you see at Heathrow every day.

The 154 has an ability to select reverse thrust in the landing flare. Sounds extraordinary but there are photos on the web of them flared for landing with the reverse buckets deployed. Possibly accounts for the soft touchdown somehow. Goodness knows what happens if they need to do a late go-around.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Pulkovo-Airlines/Tupolev-Tu-154M/0910024/M/

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Aeroflot/Tupolev-Tu-154M/0424701/M/

I'm on one myself in 2 weeks time !

the cabin crew as beautiful as they areMust have been from St. Petersburg not Moscow :)

scary moment on finals, aircraft suddenly went all over the place for about 10 secondsCommon at Heathrow, turbulence from an immediately preceding widebody.