PDA

View Full Version : Opportunities in the US

The Bullet
6th Jan 2000, 13:43
I'm an instructor/charter pilot in Oz with a job opportunity instructing in the US. Just wondering if there were many opportunities over there at the moment.

I'm thinking about going over there for a year or so, just for the life experience mainly, but if opportunities exist that would be a bonus.

Any information or advice would be appreciated.

Thankyou in advance.

Stiff Under Carriage
8th Jan 2000, 14:22
In reply to your message, I would like to know if you are taking the job in the US, and if so what are the possiblities of myself filling your position?

I am currently a Grade 3 (Junior) instructor and would like an instructor/charter job, yours sounds ideal.

------------------
Success is a Journey, Not a Destination.

weasil
11th Jan 2000, 02:36
Bullet,

When are you heading stateside? Where is the job? I am going there myself to san Francisco in a week.

My advice is don't get your hopes up about staying there working for too many years unless you plan to study or have a greencard.

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

------------------
"..You must ensure you don't cross his nose, give him a shot at you. That is critical!" Malan

The Bullet
11th Jan 2000, 10:23
weasil,

I'm hoping to be over there towards the end of next month, in Colorado. I think I've got the green card all sorted out with my employer, so with a bit of luck I'll be there for a while and see what happens.

Good luck!!

abroad
13th Jan 2000, 11:25
I have spent the last year in the usa after moving there upon completion of my degree in australia. I am now flight instructing for an aviation college in the northeast, and am really glad i made the move.
It was hard starting out, the biggest obstacle being the big financial side of converting all my licenses over to the us standard.
I completed a us instructor rating over here which was relatively simple, and the us is in such an economic boom at the moment that you can almost pick and choose a flight instructor position anywhere, seriously.

The majors are hiring the most pilots they ever have, which is spilling down to the regionals and the flying schools. All regionals are hiring alot of pilots to make up for those going to the majors. People are being picked up with around 1000hrs total time and 150-200 multi, some going straight into Embraers and Canadairs.

So long as you have the right to work in the usa, i.e green card or working permit, i'd say go for it, the bullet, you won't be dissapointed. Alot of flying work around,(twin work is very sought after, as you'd expect, so that will be a little more difficult to find), and alot of progression to the regionals/majors.

Just make sure you have some savings behind you to start out!
If you've got any more questions, let me know
With regards to the message by Stiff Under Carriage, a bit tasteless mate.

The Bullet
13th Jan 2000, 11:40
Thanks abroad. That's given me a bit of an insight as to what it's like over there. I don't really have any idea what I'm in for over there, but nevertheless I'm still looking forward to it. I hear the US is very aviation orientated and just the sheer size of everything and the number of people and aircraft over there, must really be an eye opener.

I'll be hoping that the first job is a bit of a foot in the door and other opportunities may present themselves as I get to know more people. As I say I don't really know what I'll be doing, but I'm going to give it my best shot. Like everyone I'll be hoping for a bit of multi time, but I think just the experience of being over there for the year or whatever, will be something else.

I don't suppose you could tell me a bit about what's involved with converting licences etc. I have a Gr II instructor rating, CMIR, and 1000hrs. I've been having some trouble finding out exactly what's involved. I'd like to get as many of the US qualifications as I can, if you think it would be worth my while. Also is there anything I could get done before I come over??

Thankyou in advance for your assistance. It really is appreciated.

[This message has been edited by The Bullet (edited 13 January 2000).]

abroad
14th Jan 2000, 04:47
With your experience, the bullet, you shouldn't have a problem with the licence conversion.
I spoke to the faa a number of times, at length, about getting credit for my australian licenses and ratings. Unfortunately, no luck there, all they did was issue me a commercial single with the limitation that i couldn't take pax or cargo for hire or reward, just a private essentially.

Unfortunately for us we have to sit both the theory and flight exams for everything over here. The theory exams are relatively simple, compared to our australian ones.
The freedom of information act over here basicly means that the faa has to publish any question they might ask you in a theory exam. Therefore there are a number of companies that produce private, commercial and instrument rating question books. It's just a matter of getting these from a local flying school or pilot shop, studying, (learning the questions is probably a better term), and taking the theory test. The theory tests are done on computer and quite a few flying schools have these computer testing facilities. The tests will normally set you back around $70 american.
However, you need a sign off from an instructor saying that you are ready for the exam, just a formality really.

Once you have sat the theory exam you will be able to schedule a flight test with the local faa or an ato--designated examiner,de, they like to call here.
I would suggest finding a flying school or training organisation and explaining your situation to them. They should be able to help you out, and find an instructor to help you through the process. You will probably need some time in an airplane to familiarise yourself with the manoeuvres and procedures they like to see there, so you will probably have to fork out some cash, but hey do it with a decent company and you might get a job offer from them at the end.
To get ready for the flight test it is just a matter of getting to know the many 'differences' compared to flying in australia. It's not hard, just time consuming, and studying the FAR/AIM, (there equivalent of the CAOs, CARs and AIP).
Also the flight test formats are obviously a bit different, and the majority of examiners are big on the Practical Test Standards or PTS. These are performance standards published by the faa, and if you pick up copies of the pts for the licences your going for, they will specify the required knowledge and airwork standards you will need to meet. The pts are available from all flying schools, pilot shops etc..

Pick up a copy of the FAR/AIM and maybe the pts for commercial + instrument rating, and start going through their regs and way of doing things. Flying schools over there should be able to send them to you or take a look at sporty's pilot shop, not sure of the web address.

Don't bother going for your private, jump straight to the comm..i actually did the comm/instrument rating in one go. Flight instructors can basicly pick an choose there workplace here at the moment so i strongly suggest doing one, i'm not a huge fan of instructing but hey, it's a means to an end and i'm learning a helluva lot.
If you do decide to do one, don't bother with these $2-3000 courses you will see advertised here, it's a waste of cash and definitely not worth it. I suggest getting friendly with a decent instructor and you should be able to organise to do a rating for the cost of the airplane plus his or her lunch or a six pack each flight. Alot cheaper, and most of the expensive courses aren't worth the investment - your australian rating no doubt would have been more comprehensive.

Anyhow, hope that sheds some light on the topic for you, let me know if you need any more info. I went through the process last year and know how daunting and confusing it is!

The Bullet
14th Jan 2000, 05:27
Thanks again abroad, my employer over there is still wading through all the red tape involved with organising visas etc. I don't really know how long that will take, hopefully not too long. Once that's all gone through I'll be over like a shot.

If you've got the time I'd be interested in know how you went about getting visas and work permits, that sort of thing. Is it possible to head over there on a holiday visa intially and then apply for the working visa once I'm over there?? No one in my family and no one I know has ever done anything like this before, so its been a pretty steep learning curve for me this last couple of months!!

From reading you last posting, I take it virtually none of my Oz qualifications will count for anything over there, except maybe the PPL. Will I have to do the whole instructor rating course over there too, even though I've got the rating over here??

Once again thank you for your time. Your assitance so far has been a big help. It's good to be able to get info from someone that's recently been through it all!!

abroad
15th Jan 2000, 06:52
the bullet, with regard to visas, i can't really help you with information there. I am lucky enough to have an american mother, so i have dual citizenship. That's how i am able to live and work here.
I have heard through the grapevine that sometimes employers can organise visas and maybe even long term work permits, but can't really say much, i'm not entirely sure. Sounds like your employer will be able to work something out.

Unfortunately, based on our aussie ratings the faa will issue you with a restricted commercial--at least that's what they did for me, i'm not sure if they are still doing that. It's basicly useless--see my former post.
I haven't found any way around having to sit both the theory exams and doing the flight tests for their ratings. It's a real pain, but there's no way around it i can see. You will have to fork out some cash, no doubt, so be prepared--unless you can organise something with your employer. By the sounds of it they realise you don't have your american ratings, so maybe they would be prepared to help you in that regard.
Cheers, abroad http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

The Bullet
15th Jan 2000, 12:21
Thank you for your help anyway. I'll see how I go with it all. At least I now know some of what to expect.

All the best with everything

The Bullet!!

Jav
15th Jan 2000, 19:06
Hey Bullet,
Best of luck with your attempt to move over to the US and fly over there... I too have been trying to do that for over a year now but can't get anyone to sponsor me for the working permit, even though I have considerable turboprop time. Any advice on whom to contact for this issue?
Well, anyhow the best of luck to you.
Jav

weasil
16th Jan 2000, 05:34
I finally got my visa this week. Under the terms of the visa I got I can do my commercial, instructor's rating etc over in the USA however you must not hold any license higher then a PPL when applying and then I can stay and work for up to 4 years as an instructor while completing degree studies part time.

I have spent a long time researching possibilities and everywhere I have asked I have been told that sponsorships are extremely rare in the States. You need dual citizenship or to be married to an ICU nurse who are in demand in the US because she could get you both a greencard.

Have you visited the visa site and read all the types of work permits available? Getting for a pilot would be extremely difficult I imagine having thoroughly read through the legislation and speaking to various officials at the Consulate in Sydney. Just applying for my exchange visa they wanted to know if I had ever expressed any desire to emigrate to the US or had ever applied for the greencard lottery. And I have to have a return date established before I arrive in the country.

I am leaving on wednesday and will continue to post on pprune so email me if you like to hear how I go.

------------------
"..You must ensure you don't cross his nose, give him a shot at you. That is critical!" Malan

huntsman
16th Jan 2000, 11:44
abroad,

when you converted your licenses to the US was there only the US$70 fee plus theory and flight tests or was there some greater expense

at the moment i only have an aust CPL (single engine) and hope to avoid the CFI route

I've seen some part 135 operators who look like targets for me

i intend to do my multi and instrument when i get there

is the instrument rating and night hours just a matter of paying the fee and passing the syllabus for we aussies looking at part 135

thanks

The Bullet
17th Jan 2000, 10:53
Jav,

The job I'm going for is instructing with a flying club of some sort. Virtually all the work will be instructing, but I'm hoping it might be a foot in the door over there for bigger and better things. I've heard progression in the US is much more rapid than here in Australia.

Since my previous postings, I've found out that the job actually has to be advertised over there for ten days first. Then they have to justify their reason for employing an alien (I prefer the term foreigner!!). So there's still only a chance I may get work. It seems they don't like giving work to those from "out of town!!" Whatever happens I don't think it will be easy.

With regard to turboprop contacts I can't really be of much assistance. It was a real fluke finding the contact I did. I wasn't really even looking. It's another one of those right place at the right time things!! Bet you've heard that one before!! I don't know of course, but I think you'd have to take what ever you can get over there, and try and organise something once you get a few contacts over there - at least that's what I'm hoping to be able to do.

weasil, congrats on getting your visa. I didn't realise you didn't have your commercial yet. I think it's a bit easier to get visas if you're headed over there to study/train. Good luck with it all. I'm sure it'll be a terrific experience and I'd be interested in hearing how it all works out for you.

Best of luck to everyone
The Bullet!!

abroad
21st Jan 2000, 03:47
huntsman,

The $70 dollars I mentioned was the usual price for sitting each computer theory exam at the local flying school.
The private, commercial, instrument rating, instructor rating, (CFI), instructor instrument rating, (CFII), and so on, all require their own theory subjects to be passed, which unfortunately means a rather large bill. (The multi-engine instrument add-on rating doesen't require a theory exam)

The flight tests will run up a large bill aswell. The FAA does flight tests for free, but you will find they are now only really doing the flight instructor tests and leaving the remainder for the local designated examiners.
To schedule these guys for an exam will cost you whatever they want, and usually it's quite alot, in the order of 100-250 american dollars--I got charged $250 for my multi-engine instrument rating add-on test, all before I had even started the engines.
So in terms of money required for licence conversions over here, make sure you have some saved!

With regards to the standards, I wrote in another of my posts above, the way I went about changing mine over.
Also put some money away for some flying hours over here, because they do things a bit different to we aussies. It does take some time to get used to their airspace, procedures and manoeuvres required on their flight tests.

With regards to 135 operations, I too wasn't very keen on doing an instructor rating, (very glad I have done so now), however the experience requirements for 135 ops are quite high. I haven't looked at the IFR requirements in any depth recently, but I do know they are still up around the experience required by CASA for the issue of an ATPL.
VFR 135 operations require a minimum of 500 hours total time, with various requirements on cross country, night time etc... I initially looked into doing some VFR 135 charter and fire patrols when I first arrived in the states but unfortunately I didn't have the time then.
I therefore decided to do an instructor rating, and built up my time to 135 requirements that way. I suggest you do budget for an instructor rating, because if you have a CFI over here you can almost pick and choose your workplace and more importantly, you will learn more than you can imagine about all things aviation. I didn't realise how little I knew about flying until I started instructing. Don't get me wrong, I still find it extremely frustrating at times but it is a terrific stepping stone to bigger and better things.

Anyhow, let me know if you have any other questions, cheers
abroad http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

britavia
21st Jan 2000, 05:57
A potted guide to US work visas (no, I'm not a lawyer, but feel like one after having just married a US citizen!)

J1 for instruction work only..valid for 24 months (believe it can be extended).

F1 for academic studies, ie. 4 year college degree..which would be very expensive! Valid for up to 5 years I think.

H1b for Temporary work permit. Good if you have a Batchlors Degree (or equivalent) and 4 years relevant work experience. Valid for 3 years initially. Can be extended once only. Down side, you're tied to that company.

"Green Card" (actually blue and pink so I'm told!). Difficult to obtain unless you have immediate family in USA, loads of money to invest in a business or marry.

weasil
21st Jan 2000, 11:21
Well said britavia. I have a j-1 however the two year rule does not apply as i have registered the fact that I will be extending it to an f-1 with a 4 year validity. very interested to hear that it might be valid for up to 5 years...I have an interest in staying and and doing some more study for a fifth year.

------------------

huntsman
22nd Jan 2000, 04:28
abroad,

by the time i get there i will have over 500 hours and will require the instrument rating and 25 hrs night to qualify for the day VFR 135 ops.

the reluctance to do the CFI is financial only. not enough cash to do all the endorsements/ratings.

as everyone here seems to see there is a lot of opportunity in the states to get things done sooner rather than later with regards to progression.

that's what i'm after.

you said previously that you converted your non-cpl to a real ( for reward) cpl.
how did that work?

email me via profile if you like

britavia
22nd Jan 2000, 19:21
Weasil: My J1 was self-funded so the 2 year residency requirement didn't apply. Just got to get to grips with the INS for Permanant Residency thing now!

abroad
24th Jan 2000, 21:02
The faa issued me with a restricted commercial licence, with the restriction that I can not take pax + cargo for hire or reward.
To remove that restriction I had to do their commercial test, (both theory + flight).
These days, the faa aren't issuing these restricted commercials, so you can expect to do the flight + theory test.

I studied the PTS, (see above), and then did a couple of flights with an instructor to get a grip on their manoeuvres required for the test. Scheduled it, paid the DE fee and it wasn't a problem.

cheers abroad http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

airsafetyreport
25th Jan 2000, 18:30
All this info is great. Does anybody know however if anything like this applies to us engineers?

abroad
25th Jan 2000, 18:42
Not entirely sure about the engineer/lame licensing side of things over here airsafetyreport.
I assume there will be an email address on the faa website somewhere. A quick letter to them may do the trick, then again who knows, it is a government agency and we all know how helpful and caring they are!
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

huntsman
30th Jan 2000, 16:17
thanks abroad

hope to get there soon and the info has been most helpful
as you said previously it is quite hard to get a straight answer out of them
if that situation is relevant to me i'll be a happy chappy

av8rx
31st Jan 2000, 05:25
I am happy to see there are more people with the same questions that I have.
I hear from a lot of people that in the States a lot of pilots are needed.
I have 43oo hrs TT,of which 2500 MD-80 F/O.
Does anyone know how my chances are, for a major US airline to hire me?
Is that whole work permit thing still a big issue?What if I'm offered a job, is that not enough to get a temporary work permit?Can I get that myself,or does the company have to arrange things for me then?
Once I have a work permit, can I not apply for residency?Or get the Green card?
Hope somebody can answer my questions!

av8rx
31st Jan 2000, 05:30
Also I heard that the laws may change soon in favor of foreign pilots...Just wondering what the story is there...

The Bullet
31st Jan 2000, 12:06
av8rx,

I'm still learning a lot about the whole process over there, but from what I can gather they don't seem to want foreigners taking their jobs, which is fair enough I guess. I'm just going through the whole visa process at the moment. The company I have a job with has to "sponser" me and put in several forms. They all get looked at, then apparently the job has to be advertised for ten days. For any applicants that are knocked back a reason has to be given. The employer also has to justify why and American can't do the job just as well as someone for another country.

Fortunately I don't have to do much from here, but from what I can gather it's pretty involved. I've heard that if you have a job to go to over there then it's a bit easier. There's also that green card lottery or whatever they call it too. I think they basically draw names out of a hat and if you're the lucky one then away you go.

As I say I'm still learning a lot at the moment myself, and some of what I've said may not be totally correct, but that's my understanding of things at the moment. I've still got a long way to go yet before I'll know whether or not to book the ticket over!!

Hope this has been of some assistance. I'll try to answer any other questions you might have.

The Bullet!!

JJflyer
31st Jan 2000, 21:37
You are correcto The whole sponsorship process is quite extensive and requires a lot of patience from the Employer and employee.
To make it easier to qualify for a sponsored workpermit you need to skils that no American does not have.
Fortunately for all you Wannabes hoping to fly in the US pilot reqruitment is speeding up all the time.
Major airlines not to mention the Commuters are lowering their hour requirments all the time, thus leaving the entry level airline jobs such as small parcel flyers ( Ie Ameriflight and Air Net) desperate for pilots.
If you are a US citizen or a Greencard holder why would you even bother to fly for some of the smaller pt135 outfits when you can get in to the airlines ( Majors ) with about a 1000 Total and 100 multi.

Hope this answered some of your questions.

JJ

britavia
1st Feb 2000, 06:14
av8rx:

I've heard of rumours regarding certain Regional Airlines looking into the possibility of hiring non-US citizens. However, if such a thing were ever to happen, I bet the INS will tie you to that one company which may not give you a good deal and in any case, it would bound to be a temporary arrangement.

But, if you're single and looking to marry...

weasil
1st Feb 2000, 09:45
I was in Las Vegas last week and the helicopter pilot who flew us around the grand canyon said they are desperate for pilots... this may well be an opportunity because the companies like HeliUSA may well consider sponsorships in order to get pilots. At the moment they are desperate.

------------------

britavia
1st Feb 2000, 17:02
Bullet:

Are you trying for an H1b? I had a job offer flying an Aztec for an aerial photography company in West Virginia in 1998. We tried to get an H1b but the biggest problem was the pay at $15,000pa and the State of WV said it should pay at least $27,000. Under the prevailing wage law, the company is bound to pay at least the minimum as determined by the State or it's no-go I'm afraid.

An effective way to prevent foreigners taking US jobs. There is no way that (or any) company would pay a US citizen the higher rate!

britavia
1st Feb 2000, 17:13
Opps..just re-reading my posts. I forgot to mention about the L1 Intracompany transfer visa. This is another work permit which may be wothwhile looking into if you happen to work for a US company in Europe or elsewhere.

Must have been employed in current job for at least one year and have at least 3 years experience in that job. Visa is valid for 3 years I think and can be extended. Downside is you are only allowed to work in that job.

britavia
1st Feb 2000, 17:25
av8rx:

If you get a non-immigrant work permit, i.e. H1b, L1, J1 etc. you can "convert" it to an immigrant one (Permanant Residency "green card") by way of the company or school sponsoring you. It helps to have a lawyer involved and plenty of spare cash too!

Bubbette
1st Feb 2000, 19:28
It also takes several years to "convert".

The Bullet
2nd Feb 2000, 11:36
britavia,

To be honest I'm not sure what visa is being applied for. I do know they had trouble finding out what type of visa my position would come under. I really should try and find out more about it. I've got a gut feeling that it won't go through for some reason, though that could just be because of the fact it's dragging out and will no doubt continue to drag out!!

With regard to money. It's not the best. I'll only be paid per hour I fly, but I think there'll be a fair amount of flying. To be honest, a lot about the whole thing is a bit vague. Before I take the plunge and head over I'll have to get some definite details.

Thank you for your input anyway. I've got my fingers crossed!!

[This message has been edited by The Bullet (edited 02 February 2000).]

britavia
3rd Feb 2000, 03:10
Bullet:

A mate of mine got really lucky and landed a pipeline inspection contract job flying a C172 around half of Michigan. They even managed to get hin in on a I-140 visa which is an immigrant one!

However, he's now in Europe again, broke and about to give up the flying. Figures eh? ;-)

The Bullet
3rd Feb 2000, 14:01
britavia:

Sounds like aviation's the same everywhere. You have to slog your guts out getting paid next to nothing. I know plenty of people that have spent all the money to get licences and ratings and have just got sick of the whole industry and how it works, given up and never flown again.

Sad isn't it!! There's no other industry quite like it that's for sure.

I'm a bit concerned about being locked into one job for the duration when I get over there. I suppose it depends on what sort of visa I have does it?? I'm really hoping this job might be a foot in the door for bigger and better things. However I know how aviation is, and that may not be the case!! I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

willbav8r
3rd Feb 2000, 18:08
Just read this thread for the first time. Can anyone help with my query?

I grew up in the US, left 10 yrs ago at age 15 but want to return, train and maybe work for an airline.

Soon to be leaving the UK (my nationality) with enough cash to train and support myself for 3 or 4 yrs.

Need to "ressurect" my Green Card.

Anyone else done something similar?

Thanks in advance for ANY info.

Localizer
5th Feb 2000, 20:27
About going to the US of A. It will cost you around 1500 US To do it, however, if you don't have the right to work there. Don't bother, it's a nightmare. I just got back from Florida, I planed to do the same as you, however, the licensing down there is a pain. And the jobs are only there if you "know someone" or your an American. See if you get a work visa there, you have to work for that one company, no other, and if you leave that company. And they call INS, and you're gone. Be careful. Get a FAR/AIM and make sure you do your homework before you buy your ticket. Also make sure you meet their CPL/IFR requirements. You need stupid stuff as far as certain multi flights and IFR requirments.

Be careful. Good luck.

Sam

Ron e rocket
7th Feb 2000, 03:02
What about the Diversity Visa lottery (otherwise known as the "Greencard lottery")?
It comes around every year, it's free to apply, and if successful will cost you USD500.

Commuters and regionals are not keen on people who are only on work permits as they offer no security (ie they may only have you for a year or part thereof)

Yes there are alot of jobs, but there are a ALOT of local pilots also and the environment is pretty competetive.

If you have enough time to qualify for an FAA ATPL (see FAR61 in the FAR/AIM or FAR61 on the FAA website, for minimums) and a current commercial and Command instrument rating in your current situation, then call the likes of ALLATP's who will do an ATP licence conversion for approx USD1500 (incl. written test prep, written test, 2 mock flight checks and the flight check it's self). If you have been through a couple of IR renewals in your current situation you won't find it a problem.

As far as job info is concerned you can't go past AirInc.(see their website) but it will cost you (approx USD 150).I learnt the hard way that this is the most efficient way to go.

Please don't see this reply as an advert for the various named establishments, they are just the outfits I have used and thought were good value.

If more detailed in info is required: [email protected]

britavia
7th Feb 2000, 17:23
Ron e Rocket:

The DV or Green Card lottery is great, but only if you happen to live in a country which has a low US Immigrant application ratio i.e. Outer Mongolia! Most European countries do not qualify, including UK. I know, I tried it! If you happen to have Irish or Italian relatives, it is more likely you will succeed. This is because a certain percentage is reserved for nationals from those countries all thanks to heavy lobbying by Irish and Italian pressure groups on Capitol Hill.

av8rx
16th Feb 2000, 14:00
Outer Mongolia here I come!!!

ironbutt57
16th Feb 2000, 23:39
the basic story becomes apparent in this thread...no greencard no GOOD job sponsorship jobs ARE there...but you usually can't afford a place to live AND food...it's an unfortunate fact of life...

huntsman
18th Oct 2000, 04:18
thought i would get this back to the top.
there's lots of good info in here.

how did everyone go.
i'm still in aust. but still keen.

Oil Captain
18th Oct 2000, 18:28
I say good luck to all of you. However as a Yank getting my OZ permanent visa took way more money, time and info than did my (now x) husband's green (pink) card for the USA. He never was able to get employment at a 135 operation because of the fact the movement was slow. He is now back in Oz.
The point I want to make is in reference to Ironbutts. After having lived in Queensland and the USA I can guarantee that living expenses in the USA are way less than in Oz. The fuel in the car, the car itself, telephone costs, utilities, food, housing is all way less expensive unless you live in Manhattan, or one of the exclusive areas of Los Angeles or the Bay Area of San Francisco. Housing in comparison is way less and there are many more opportunities for roomshares here than in OZ. There are many people wanting jobs here, both Yanks and aliens. The aviation community is still very much a who ya know community as there are thousands flying but they all have family that want to work for the airlines and flight operations too. I guarantee you this; a person related to Joe will get the job before you. Or if Joe knows you personally you will get the job over the stranger. Sorry to say, but we do have loyalties to those we know. We are like that. There is also a sense of initiative here in USA that I did not see nor experience in OZ. It is also an unfortunate thing that since the world looks at the US as the place to get, and has, and gives, and takes the free lunch we are a bit defensive since the majority of us work hard for what we have "ain't nothin' here for free" what is free is the right to buy your telephone service from another company besides (Austell) the one owned by the government, which makes the market competitive, therefore less prices. You have the right to go to church, not go to church, and go to school in a public or private school. You have the right to not vote and still bitch about how things are. Voting is not compulsory as it is in OZ. The freedom to accept a job on the terms and conditions of the job agreed to between you the employee and the employer. It is not governed by the Department of Primary Industries. We do have a minimum wage but if the company you work for has less than 10 employees they are not required to pay such wage and if you agree to work for less that is your right, your freedom of choice, which you do not have in OZ.
I was the general manager of a business that had 10 employees in Queensland and learned about the Award system and had the Department of Primary Industries take the company to court because I had a retired man working who did not want the full award as to not effect his pension. The Department of Primary Industries took the company to court to ensure the man received the full award even though he did not want it. Never happen here, well at least not yet.
You can do a search through Yahoo and get the classified sections of nearly every news paper in the USA read what houses rent for in the area you are interested in and also you can find within the newspaper the section for food costs. I live in a 5 bedroom two bathroom home central in town with air conditioning and heating, a dishwasher, clothes washer and dryer included in the rent, two telephone lines one for calls and one just for the computer and fax line, I drive a Jeep Cherokee '96 that I have owned for 2 years and here is the cost.
Rent for house: $600.00US
Electricity with a/c in summer:$150.00US
Jeep Initial cost $10,000.00US $265.00US a month for payments and $50.00 a month for two people on my insurance.
My Internet service provider is included in my telephone bill. Both lines and Internet unlimited service is $80.00US a month I can make as many local calls as I want with no charges for each call unless I ask for measured service where then your bill is drastically reduced but you pay $0.35US per local call. Plus in that $80.00 I get all the bells and whistles of voice mail, phone forwarding, call waiting, call block, caller ID, *69 which tells who your last call was and numerous other aspects to the "Complete Choice" package. The phone line for my computer has no bells and whistles just dial out dial in action and it costs on $25.00 per month for unlimited local calls. My long distance carrier charges are dependent on the calls I make but I pay $0.05US per minute to anywhere in the USA anytime and to call OZ anytime day or night is only $0.12US per minute and $0.19US per minute to Hong Kong. A local pay telephone call is $0.35US for the call and if it is local most phones is the flat $0.35 some charge a per minute cost but you don't have to use that phone. II can buy a gallon of gasoline for my jeep at the BP servo for $1.46 per gallon where it is sold by the liter in OZ and so that makes it approximately $0.37US per litter. And if you are not earning the big bucks and are willing to stand in the line you can get qualified for Section 8 Housing which is government assisted living, but in some areas you are really taking your life in your hands to live in the government housing projects. That also may depend on the visa you are living under here.
All up my entire total living expenses with entertainment included averages under $2000.00 per month but I do not have to live in a 5 bedroom home. I could buy a less expensive vehicle one that doesn't have a monthly note. I could buy a Nissan or a Ford for between $500.00 and $1000.00 and still have reliable transportation. Not fancy and not a flash car but it will get you there legally and with minimum repair costs. These prices are fair to the rest of the country you might want to add 20% for certain areas. But if you want to live in Manhattan, LA, San Francisco or Chicago then prepare to add about 50%+ to the cost of living. Especially in NY City.
In QLD I lived in a two bedroom one bath house no air conditioning, no washer and dryer as part of the rent (I purchased them at a very dear price) for $645.00AUS the electrical bill was never under $100.00AUS, fuel for the company truck was $1.65AUS per liter which comes out to be $6.60AUS per gallon which converts to nearly $3.00US per gallon. I could not afford to buy a car in OZ I was glad the company I worked for furnished a ute. Food costs shocked the hell out of me. Plus the farmers still use phosphates as fertilizer there which has been banned here for nearly 30 years. I asked a farmer once why all the veggies tasted like mildew. He said it was because of the phosphates. I am a predominately veggie person so that didn't feel to good. We may have hybrid and genetically altered foods but as we learn that they are not healthy we get them banned. The telephone was nearly $50.00AUS per month just for the service and it was $0.25AUS per call. So if I called to get on line and the server answered but was busy I got charged for that call even though I didn't get online. I did continue my CompuServe Service in the US so that cost was only the connection fee. I was able to use the long distance company from the US which helped me cut costs for that service.
I lived way below what my standard of living is here for nearly the same amount of money. Plus I had the disadvantage of trying to save money while loosing money with the value of the AUS dollar to the US dollar.
Just thought I would give you a better perspective to AUS vs US cost of living. I can stil go to a matnee movie at 18.00 hours for $4.00US. or the later evening shows for $7.00US. It may require a bit of ingenuity to make the best of a lifestyle here but if you shop wisely it can be done.

huntsman
19th Oct 2000, 02:42
AU $1.65 for a litre of petrol?
where were you?
i recently drove across australia (darwin to melbourne) and the dearest i saw was $1.25 in the red centre.
as for the rent there, is that by the month?

britavia
21st Oct 2000, 01:55
"He never was able to get employment at a 135 operation because of the fact the movement was slow."

I'm suprised. I'm now working for a big 121 cargo operation and they are short of pilots, particulary Captains.

Oil Captain
21st Oct 2000, 02:08
IT has only been within the last 18 months that the 121s have been doing so much hiring. During the early to mid 90s aviation hiring was very slow. He worked at FAPA which is like AIR Inc they send out hiring info to members about who is hiring and etc. Since he returned to OZ in September '98 the 121s really started hiring lots of people. He decided to quit flying because he was not finding a job. He did fly skydivers and banners but at that time there was very little hiring taking place. Then FAPA (Future Aviation Professionals of America) was closed by the IRS and he didn't have a direct connection to who was hiring. Also he quit flying at 1400 hours. I afforded him all of this flight time. And now, I am in training for my pilot's license and I am aiming for my CFIIME rating and staying here at this flying school where I am taking lessons. However, I am very aware of the demand for CFIs across America, so I may chase the $$ but I doubt it. I like the idea of staying around town and taking a plane off to Oshkosh for the airshow, but not to be gone from home so much for work, nahh. The Oil Captain comes from being a ship's captain and I did hitches out to sea and out of places like Rio de Janiero, Nava Scotia, and the Gulf of Mexico Coast. I was gone from home for 28 days to 6 weeks at a time. I like having a home life.

Yes that rent in QLD was per month @ somewhere around $159.00AUS per week.
I lived two hours north of Brissie and east of Gimpy in a place called Tin Can Bay. Where you can feed and play with wild dolphins. I left Australia 21 January 1998.

[This message has been edited by Oil Captain (edited 20 October 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Oil Captain (edited 20 October 2000).]

helidrvr
21st Oct 2000, 22:04
If you have the funds for a long term stay and training costs, there may be another way for you to get into the USA or Canada - as an Investor Immigrant.

Don't ask me for the fine print such as visa numbers etc. but basically, what this involves is going in with a financial plan for a small business which - and this is crucial - creates employment for a few local citizens in the country of your choice. Setting up a small aviation services business might possibly do the trick.

Also, Canada is a lot easier and can be a back door to working in the US under the Free Trade Agreement between these two countries (and Mexico).

[This message has been edited by helidrvr (edited 21 October 2000).]

warp10
22nd Oct 2000, 06:57
CO EX is hiring.Approx 30 per month.
They are upgrading there fleet and will have RJ's completely before 2003.
Once you're there, stepping up to CO is only a short time away (2 years approx)
Green card and US ATP and 500 multi are an advantage.They will welcome you in open arms with the above.

britavia
23rd Oct 2000, 22:45
Oil Captain:

It's true that the last 2 years or so have been good for hiring on 121 operations. The Canadian/Mexican route to US GC is easier because of the aforementioned trade agreement. Once legalised, you can apply for a TN visa.

Ireland is also another country to keep an eye on. Although there are no official trade links as such yet, there have been considerable ties closer to the USA, culturally and socially within the past two years.

Ole Flashy
24th Oct 2000, 20:49
For info on visas and work permits, check out www.usvisanews.com (http://www.usvisanews.com)
Post a question in Wednesday Questions.That is the quickest way to get an answer.There has been a few answers given about two weeks ago regarding the granting of work permits etc.
I have a Canadian friend in El Paso who got in on his ability to fly a DC3...and he is sixty-eight years old.I haven't decided on whether to take up his offer of employment, mainly because I don't want to fly DC3's anymore....they do have Lears too...mmmmmmm!

Bosco'
30th Oct 2000, 09:15
can anyone tell me how i go about converting my licences to US standard, i am going into my 3rd and final year of a Aviation degree in Australia and will have all the australian qualifications. i wish to work in the US as i am a citizen studying in australia, i was wondering the posibility of getting work over there with only 300 hrs and about 50 multi. i sound very similar to abroard as my mother too is American andi have studied uni in australia, abroard if you could email me any advice it would be a great help
thanks
Bosco'

before landing check list
4th Nov 2000, 05:21
I need to tell you that Airborne Express is hiring. You will be a 2nd Officer for a while, hard school. But a great company

------------------
What can you conceive more silly and extravagant than to suppose a man racking his brains, and studying night and day how to fly?

— William Law, 'A Serious Call to a Devout and Holly Life XI,' 1728

Bosco'
4th Nov 2000, 08:26
Do you have a web address for them. :)