PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for a first Class I

danmcdermott
1st Mar 2008, 21:55
Hi!

I'm off for my first class I medical in two weeks and would appreciate some advice on what preparation (if any) might be advisable to get through.

Danny

mcgoo
1st Mar 2008, 22:34
wear clean underwear

Shunter
2nd Mar 2008, 07:33
Have an early night and don't get trashed. Turn up fresh and relaxed. There's a Chavelodge 10 minutes walk away for £25/night.

If you're in good health (which hopefully you are, since you're only 17) it's a breeze.

n90bar
3rd Mar 2008, 19:34
Drink a glass or two of water before you go - so u can give them the urine sample, haha!!

PAPI-74
3rd Mar 2008, 19:43
Shave your Wedding Veg.:eek:
Avoid anything that will increase your cholesterol / blood pressure.
Relax when the Index finger is inserted.;)
Make sure that your sample isn't your first of the day, as it is the strongest.
Close your eyes during the hearing test to enhance your senses.
It is easy....

Put1992
3rd Mar 2008, 19:44
Take a sensible approach to the urine test (e.g. dont wee all over your boxers like i did) have a shower, wear clean underwear, and drink a glass of water a couple of hours before.

Hufty
3rd Mar 2008, 19:51
Just relax! Your blood pressure will be way up if you are nervous and have a case of "white coat syndrome"....I read the comments about pee too although I don't think it makes that much difference - if you have kidney trouble or blood in your urine they will spot it.

..oh, and seeing as you're paying a king's ransom for being there, read ALL the magazines, drink as much free coffee and water as your body can hold and of they have any free biscuits or anything there.......well, just go for it.....

bradhighland
6th Mar 2008, 13:41
Do they really go anywhere near your private parts? Seriuos answers please.

mattkcraven
6th Mar 2008, 14:34
You will be lying down at one point on your back and the doc will simply pull on your belt/trousers to view the bottom most part of your stomach (both left and right side) and then ask you to cough. Dead quick and simple, nothing to it.

Tediek
6th Mar 2008, 19:37
I had a female doctor, told me to drop the shorts. Checked the front, bend forward and that was it... Very clinical.

fanda78
6th Mar 2008, 20:23
I do not know if it was necessary, but some seven months ago I made a final decision that I want to fly for living so with medical in mind I quit with cofee (used to do six espresso a day):bored: and with fags (5-10 a day):yuk:
My med 1 is comming in next few weeks and my only concern is sight but thats something that I can not change, can I?
Good luck!

dunelmitepilot
7th Mar 2008, 10:39
fanda78,

with the concern for your eyesight, if your prescription is within -6.00 dioptres with astigmatism accounted for, then you will have no problems with it. I am yet to take an initial class one, but I went for an eyetest to see if I'd still qualify given my short sight, and the optician told me that I would be fine.

Best of luck anyway :ok:

Adam.

woos
7th Mar 2008, 13:40
Does anybody knows if the diopters limit which is -6D, is refering to your glasses correction or to your contact lenses correction ?

thanks

Put1992
7th Mar 2008, 17:42
Do they really go anywhere near your private parts? Seriuos answers please.

Around the areas, but don't worry about it seriously!

PAPI-74
8th Mar 2008, 08:08
Don't listen.
I feel that it is my duty not to shield you from the horrors of the Class one invasion of your bits and bobs.
They have to go in through the back door to check for any problems I.E 'Farmers'.
There is also a full squeeze of the nads to check for lumps, as well as the stated lower Intestinal area for hernia.
Sorry, bit be afraid.....be very afraid!!!!!:{:eek::eek::uhoh:

Put1992
8th Mar 2008, 15:25
Don't listen.
I feel that it is my duty not to shield you from the horrors of the Class one invasion of your bits and bobs.
They have to go in through the back door to check for any problems I.E 'Farmers'.
There is also a full squeeze of the nads to check for lumps, as well as the stated lower Intestinal area for hernia.
Sorry, bit be afraid.....be very afraid!!!!!:{:eek::eek::uhoh:

Well, look at it like this. What was said above may be true, but when you passed you will feel really releived! I think it's fun getting into a tiz about it all!

dunelmitepilot
8th Mar 2008, 22:48
woos,

As far as I know there is no specific reference to what the amount of correction is for contact lenses. All it says on the CAA website is that if you are short sighted the "refractive error must not exceed -6.00 dioptres of short sight"

I would not have thought there is much difference in correction between glasses and contact lenses though; so if your glasses prescription is within these limits, then chances are this will be the case for your contact lenses.

Hope that helps anyway!

Adam.:ok:

woos
9th Mar 2008, 13:59
thx dunelmitepilot .

thing is I have -7 et -7.5 D (astigmatism included) so I think I won't even bother.
Maybe I'll give them a call anyway, just to be sure.

Canada is my last chance I guess. :cool:

dunelmitepilot
9th Mar 2008, 18:16
No probs. It's a good idea to give them a ring. It may also be good idea to go and see your optician to be 100% clear of what your prescription actually is.

Good luck woos.

preduk
9th Mar 2008, 23:58
Can someone confirm if PAPI-74 is telling the truth about the whole back passage inspection! I know about the cough test, which I'm not bothered about.

Overdrive
10th Mar 2008, 00:58
He's telling the truth. There's no lube used, so if on the day it's Dr. Sausage Fingers, and you're a virgin back there you may have to gnash your teeth... but it won't take long. Think of it as a rite of "passage"... :ok:

perfrej
11th Mar 2008, 12:11
Hi folks!

Are there any rigid regulations as to maximum blood preassure allowed for passing a class one? JAA.

/perf