PDA

View Full Version : Locked luggage, TSA/USA flights

SLFJan
1st Mar 2008, 21:08
Some time ago I recall we were urged to leave our hold bagage unlocked (!) so that the US TSA wouldn't use a crowbar to take a peak inside at our smelly laundry. Special luggage straps with 'TSA only unlockable' are sold. Can anyone say if this is still the advice, to leave cases unlocked, or is the risk of having stuff stolen greater than the risk that the TSA will smash their way in?

Guidance, please?

Mr @ Spotty M
1st Mar 2008, 21:31
Still the advice to leave luggage unlocked when departing any US airport.

kwachon
1st Mar 2008, 21:36
You can get a "TSA approved lock" which they can open, available at most airport baggage stores. Otherwise "let em at it", they always leave a nice polite little note in my suitcase to say they sniffed my undies.....

beamender99
1st Mar 2008, 22:09
From Times Online October 25, 2005

AMERICAN airports now allow suitcases to be secured with approved locks. What about cases that have built-in locks?

In 2003, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA: www.tsa.gov (http://www.tsa.gov)) introduced a ruling that all checked-in suitcases should be left unlocked. It was very unpopular, so, last autumn, the TSA relented. It now allows travellers to secure luggage with approved locks

Unfortunately, many people have cases with built-in dial locks, in which case the news from the TSA is not good. It says: “The same rules apply to cases with built-in combination locks as to other suitcases. That is, we have approved the use of certain types: these are ones for which the manufacturers have supplied us with master keys. Several companies, including Delsey, Samsonite and Tumi, have brought out new cases that feature our approved locks. Anyone with cases older than a year would be best advised to leave their bags unlocked.”

Combination and normal key padlocks are available.
Some have a Pop-up indicator indicates whether lock has been opened by TSA agents during inspection

http://www.tripneeds.com/index.php/cPath/47_102 shows some examples
and even some straps on the next page.

ZILLI
2nd Mar 2008, 01:55
I have built in combination locks on my suitcase, and have twice had notes from the TSA that they have opened my case to take a look? I always lock my case!

SLFJan
2nd Mar 2008, 11:01
Thank you people, all useful info

(All a bit worrying, really)

Donkey497
2nd Mar 2008, 11:17
I Wouldn't worry too much. I'm back & forth to the US roughly about every three to four weeks over the past year, flying through Atlanta, Newark & Houston & I've only had my bag searched once. This was at Houston & I doubt it was anything more than a cursory look as none of the contents of my case were disturbed.

I must admit that I'm a bit surprised about the relatively low level of searching for how uptight the US presents itself about the issue of airline security, but then again you see how much crap & the size of bags the TSA lets passengers take through as carry on luggage you just shake your head at the inconsistency.

Anyway, my advice is lock your bag using locks with the TSA logo & code number on them. If they need in they can use the master keys. If not they'll leave your bag alone.

If you are passing through airports or other areas with your luggage where you are dubious about security, I'd recommend that you pick up a set of numbered security ty-wraps which you can use to lock your luggage. This will let you know immediately if your luggage has been opened.

SkyToddler
2nd Mar 2008, 11:43
I have built in combination locks on my suitcase, and have twice had notes from the TSA that they have opened my case to take a look? I always lock my case!

Did they break/damage the combination lock on your case? Im taking a similar one to the states in couple of weeks and dont want my new suitcase damaged.

ZILLI
3rd Mar 2008, 07:00
No the locks were intact, and not much was disturbed in it. The only reason I knew they had been in it was when I saw their note inside to say they had looked in my bag. Lord only knows how they knew the combination? I guess they must have a machine that can do it in double quick time?

banana head
3rd Mar 2008, 10:54
On Samsonite/ Delsey cases with built in locks, when they x-ray your case they can see where the little wheels of the combination lock line up - thus they can open it without breaking the lock!

skiesfull
3rd Mar 2008, 14:14
Play it safe - leave the case/bag unlocked, but buy a TSA -approved locking strap and set the combination as you would normally. That way they can access the contents with their master keys, while affording you some level of security. And never pack valuables and urgent medication in checked baggage. I've diverted twice because of diabetic pax packing their insulin in their checked baggage. Very inconvenient and expensive to the airline and its' pax, and risky for the diabetic.

cavortingcheetah
3rd Mar 2008, 14:52
:hmm:
Cannot speak for every departure point in the good old USofA but have departed JFK and Dulles on international in the last three months. Suitcases, several in each instance, were loaded up with seemingly hostile looking things, pump action water guns, computer stuff, wires, cables and so on. Each time remained by the baggage X ray machine in case the Authority wanted the bags opened. They didn't at either airport. Incidentally, they didn't seem to mind this at all. In fact at Dulles they invited me to stand by if I were concerned, given that I explained to them that we had all sorts of funny stuff packed and that I had no idea how it would show up on their screens. In both cases, the men from the TSA could not have been more friendly and amusing. A very different story from that to be found elsewhere.
It almost goes without saying that we use TSA combination straps and/or padlocks. These seem to be readily available in the USA at far less cost than in the UK.
:)

SLFJan
3rd Mar 2008, 21:45
Thanks again for the help. I'm probably more concerned about Non-TSA people finding it easier to access the contents of my luggage! But I suppose that risk is there with or without the case being locked, and anyway the case locks are pretty feeble. As Skiesfull points out, nothing of financial or medical value goes in the cargo, anyway.

My travel plans are LHR(T1)-SFO-LHR (T5!) Wish me luck everyone!:}

fendant
5th Mar 2008, 10:15
Do not lock you bags, as the TSA rambos will use their crowbars or knifes to forcefully open suitcases or duffel bags.

Concerning TSA locks every thief at JFK, MIA or ORD will have them in the meantime. Radar scanning will reveal the bags which are worthwile "targets". What is now worse that bags locked with TSA tags will arrive "lighter" after going through certain airports in Southern and Eastern Europe.

Do what most of the Americans do, and drag all your stuff as carry-ons on board! Hopefully one day this TSA lock joke will come to an end, when airlines see the baggage tsunamis rolling into the cabins.

I am more concerned when flying in Asia that my bags are heavier on arrival and that entry customs might detect some ugly things in my bags.
Do not use suitcases with TSA locks when travelling inside Asia. Use good sturdy old combination locks.

Frank

PS: You can specially order Rimova's now without TSA locks.