PDA

View Full Version : Sponsorship in the good old U S of A!

Brian glasgow
24th Dec 1999, 05:16
Hi all you cousins (do your research we are matey!) Just a little word from across yon bonnie stretch of water asking if any of your airlines are looking for some talented type Brits to come fly their planes (or even pay for them to learn how to do it first!!!)

no this isn't an attempt at swiping jobs from Americans just an honest request from an honest Scottish laddie

Merry Chrimbo to one and all!

brian

rnobson
28th Dec 1999, 19:27
Do yu think Logie Baird Airlines will sponser us yanks for the same

By the way I'm frae Prestwick

Brian glasgow
29th Dec 1999, 02:20
you never know until you ask!

I fly outta PIK - you been away long??

Brian

XL5
29th Dec 1999, 09:55
Wishful thinking indeed Brian.I recall sending out letters to numerous US carriers all of twenty+ years ago asking for details of any sponsorship schemes.There weren't any then and I know of none now,but to their credit Pan Am,Eastern and Northwest answered my correspondence.

[This message has been edited by XL5 (edited 29 December 1999).]

Bubbette
29th Dec 1999, 22:22
You will not get sponsored as a pilot in the US. If you are an ICU nurse or a computer programmer, you might get sponsored before the visas run out.

HungryPilot
30th Dec 1999, 04:20
Brian glasgow, the US doesn't operate like the UK as far as pilot sponsorship goes. So don't waste your time or money. Flight hours is all that matters stateside. Makes a lot more sense really than having 400 hour rookies in the right seat of an A340!

bizjet pilot
3rd Jan 2000, 19:58
Went to school with a bunch of Vikings in the US. Was the only Yank out of 15 student pilots. had a great time. Bad news for European student pilots is there is no such thing as sponsorship in the sense you mean. Good news is (a) flying's much cheaper, (b) a lot of choices in flight schools, and (c) you can normally work as a pilot for about 18 months after you've gotten through the US commercial/instrument/CFI.

My feeling is to get good instrument skills stay away from Florida flight schools. I've never met a recent graduate of a Florida (or Arizona) flight school who was at all comfy doing an ILS to minima. Not to say they doen't have good schools there, but when you've been flying in the soup since you got 50 hours, by the time you get 200 you're appropriately comfortable.

Also you've got to plan the CAA/JAA FCL thing, too. Make sure you know where you plan to make a career. Expecially if you're a Scot, bear Canada in mind, too. You might like it--a few million other Scots have.

dicko
8th Jan 2000, 10:10
Don't forget that the U.S. Immigration & Naturalization Service (INS) has a yearly lottery to give away residency permits.
American girls also make lovely brides.

Brian glasgow
10th Jan 2000, 03:13
so what you're all saying is i have half the snowballs chance in hell???

Oh well on to BA then!

Brian