PDA

View Full Version : Gap between end of groundschool & exams

G_STRING
1st Mar 2008, 13:01
Wonder if anyone else has got this problem (if it is a problem)

The organisation that I'm doing my groundschool with (for the CPL), has it's brushup courses way before the actual examinations, so the wait to to the exams after you finish the brush up is about 3 weeks.

To me, this seems a long wait, I'd prefer to do the exams straight afterwards when everything is fresh in my mind.

Bearing in mind that the CPL exams are every 2 months, as opposed to the ATPL exams being every month, has anybody else who is doing a CPL come across this.

If so, how do/did you cope with it?

BelArgUSA
1st Mar 2008, 13:20
G String -
xxx
It gives you the time (3 weeks...?) to review your subjects better, and to improve your knowledge.
Do we, old farts, have to always lead kids by the hand...
Will you be able to fly an airplane, after a 3 weeks vacation -
Or will you need recurrent ground school and simulator training...?
xxx
:}
Happy contrails

Whirlygig
1st Mar 2008, 13:30
BelARgUSA, have you any experience of the JAA exam system? If so, you will appreciate that the JAA exams have nothing to do with flying but everything to do with rote learning so I, for one, as a middle-aged fart, can understand G-STRING's problem.

G, the school I use for CPL groundschool has the brush-up course the week before the exams i.e. next week for exams atrting the week of the 10th. It works well, helps enormously.

Perhaps there are timetabling issues with your school? There are never as many CPL students as there are ATPL, so maybe the brush-ups are run when that handful of students are all available as well?

Cheers

Whirls

SkyCamMK
1st Mar 2008, 13:38
The brush-up course will address or at least highlight any weak areas. Rote learning is not ideal. Undedrstanding is the key. Repetition over time is what gets things into long term memory. Relax and review. Do not rely on "learning the answers" the question bank is vast and questions appear often that you may not have seen. You will tackle them best if you understand. Take the 3 weeks to structure a learning and review process for whichever exams you intend to take. Remember "RTFQ" Read the Flaming Question and "DAFP" Draw a flaming picture. You will have the knowledge if you rehearse ways of accessing it. Read Tony Buzan "Mind Mapping" and speed reading techniquesand for aids to memory and revision. Good Luck - you will be OK, STAY POSITIVE!

BelArgUSA
1st Mar 2008, 14:15
Whirlygig -
xxx
I happen to know a little (very little) about training, study and exams.
And also happen to be an airline training manager... so, clearly ignorant.
I had to take many tests in my career... at times study by rote learning.
CAA, JAA, FAA, DGAC exams are alike, if you studied and understand the questions.
But your educating me is highly appreciated. I held a JAR licence...
xxx
:}
Happy contrails

Whirlygig
1st Mar 2008, 23:33
Really? I always thought the FAA exams were a lot more relevant to actual flying than the JAA exams. So, as a training captain, please can you tell me how helpful it is to the original poster to be accused of needing his or her hand held?

Different strokes for different folks - personally, I prefer having the brush-up course the week before rather than the month before.

Cheers

Whirls

hollingworthp
2nd Mar 2008, 06:04
Always thought it was a bit of a bonus that the FAA publishes it's question bank under freedom of information. You can purchase it and I have my dad's copy, it is about the size of a yellow pages (although the pages are orange).

Must make it every so slightly easier to study for the exams having every question that could possibly come up?

ariel
2nd Mar 2008, 19:54
It looks like I'm going to be in the same situation, with a 3 - 4 week wait after the brush up course until the exams.

From what I have observed, this appears to be prevalent for CPL exams only, due to there only being CPL exams every 2 months, with only Gatwick offered as a venue.

I must admit, I don't relish having to wait either, so will have to adopt WingoWangos' philosophy