PDA

View Full Version : GWA ( Great Wall Airlines)

workmatters
29th Feb 2008, 17:45
GWA (Great Wall Airlines) have been advertising over the last few weeks in Flight International. I have the type rating and currently bogged down on a seniority list and approaching a significant birthday so looking to see if there is a quicker route to command. However, I have been looking at the salary's for both seats Capt's 32.5k RMB / 60.0k RMB per month based on experience & 500RMB per hour with a guaranteed 50 hours per month & F/O salary's RMB 25.0k / 37.5k RMB per month Conversion between RMB / GBP = 15 RMB = 1 £.Which equates to £4000 per month which is top of the scale for Captains bottom being £2166. Not much for a B744 Captain with flight pay (50hrs) comes up to £5250 PER MONTH Top scale, albeit until 500 hrs with GWA and then its upped to RMB 500 per hour £ 5600.0. Appreciate that a housing allowance is included in the package of 14000 RMB per month £930 BUT is this to live in an expatriate area of Shanghai where apartment prices are more expensive?

Is the salaries tax free in China or is income tax a lot less than the UK, Is housing cost's and cost of living (without having to live on noodles) expensive? Would like to hear the story behind working in China or first hand information about GWA, general information?

This is a general enquiry only about GWA.

akistar1
1st Mar 2008, 02:26
According to my previous colleagues working in Shenzhen, the local authority does not allow direct right to left conversion on an a/c >200Ts, unless the guy has 500 PIC hrs on narrow body jet a/c. Local authorities will not allow any waivers. Anyone who tell you otherwise is basically hiding the truth. GWA has no plans of acquiring any smaller freighter. Anyone who join them is stuck in the right seat forever. You would rather join other local carriers, where they are able to send their pilots to smaller fleets for upgrade.

Freitas