PDA

View Full Version : Contingency Fuel for ETOPS flights and replanning

iwd
29th Feb 2008, 17:16
Good afternoon,

We plan ETOPS with a 5% of contingency fuel planification. We do not use a 3% of reduced contingecy fuel. Does anybody of you use 3% of contingency for the ETOPS flight planning? Is it really a must to compute a 5% in case of ETOPS or a 3% can be also applied?

Another question... For our Inflight Replannings (JAR OPS Decission Point) we decrease the contingency fuel from 5% for the whole flight to 0% until reaching the Decission Point and 5% for the rest of the flight. Even for the ETOPS flights. That is the real help of an inflight replanning...
BUT some of our crews ( :ugh: ) have said that maybe for an ETOPS operation there are another considerations in order to compute an inflight replanning... Could someone of you confirm me that both replannings (for a standard flight plan or for an ETOPS flight plan) have the same considerations? I'm trying to find it out in JAR OPS but there is no mention of replanning in case of ETOPS (because these are the same, I know...)

I guess that some of them are affraid to get a 0% of contingency fuel until the reclear point and a 5% for the rest of the flight :mad:

Many thanks in advance

Lefthandseat
4th Mar 2008, 14:13
HI
If u cud PM me ur email, I can send u sthg.
Cheers

Epsilon minus
10th Mar 2008, 10:23
Read JAR-OPS subpart D or soon to be EUOPS Subpart D. Your Ops Manual Part A section 8 will detail if DPP is acceptable or approved. 3% contingency fuel is acceptable provided you nominate an ERA within JAR limits or company limits if they are higher. Which airline do you work for?

iwd
12th Mar 2008, 09:23
Thanks for your comment. I already read subpart D and my OPS manual. Of course, I'm talking about an ETOPs flight with ETP's and ETOPS enroute alternates.

The fact is that we use a 5% of contingency for ALL of our ETOPS flight plans. The question was about using a 3% of contingency for ETOPS flights instead. I did not found anything in JAR stating that you must use a 5% and not a 3% in that kind of flights.

I work for a spanish charter carrier (my nick's three letter ICAO code...)

Cheers