PDA

View Full Version : Business plan, instructor rating?

oli4
29th Feb 2008, 14:43
Hi all
I recently passed my skills assessment to go to OAA and am hoping to start after summer. when i passed they issued me with a business plan for a bank loan, which they structure and i have to fill in.
i would like some advice on how to get an instructors rating from an FATPL.
i am thinking about my contingency plan if i don't get a job straight after OAA, HSBC want to know what you are going to do to secure an income and how much you might earn off the back up.
I would like to know if putting that i would become an instructor is a good idea or not.i am not too sure how to be come an instructor, however i know a rating must be taken. does any1 have any idea how or where to do this and how much it might cost. is there certain limitations on the amount of hours you must have under your belt before applying to become an instructor? and is it possible to go from an ATPL to an instructor?

I mean on small planes.... warrior, scene ca, Cessna that sort of thing..
thanks and i look forward to some positive input and advice.
Oli

mcgoo
29th Feb 2008, 14:56
You can add the instructor rating straight after OAA although HSBC might laugh at you when you tell them that your monthly gross wage as an FI is less than the monthly repayments for the OAA loan.

SkyCamMK
29th Feb 2008, 15:54
Take some time to learn about the industry before you commit. You are not well enough informed yet to spend £60k to "buy" an airline job. You may be lucky. You may of course be a natural and be brilliant I do wish you well. Do consider that if you do not complete, you will still owe thousands. Instruction is a career for some and before you discard it as a secondary employment find out why you want to be a an aerial bus driver (Yes it does require skill and commitment but it is a very different kind of job). I know a fATPL instructor that HSBC are pursuing to repay his debts more quickly that he can!!!

r44flyer
29th Feb 2008, 17:39
You would probably find it difficult, ney impossible, to repay the HSBC loan AND live on a FI(R) 'salary'. If you can hope to shack up with parents/girlfriend to allow you to work to make loan repayments, that's an option, until you get a better offer from an airline.

I would be surprised if HSBC will accept the FI route as your sole form of income, given it is so variable.

Bear in mind the FI course will set you back at least another £6k.

Not making the jet job straight away is the gamble you pay for with OAA etc. I do, however, believe it's a small chance that you won't make any airline job at all inside the first 6 months after your training. Anything can happen, though, as they say...

oli4
29th Feb 2008, 18:05
thanks guys, its good to get some more opinions, as i said this is only a temp thing as my main goal is to fly for ba i am just filling in my contingency plan and was wondering if it is an acceptable entry or not. thanks and kkeep the advice coming.
Oli

MIKECR
29th Feb 2008, 18:45
You should do your FI rating for the right reasons, not just as a "temp thing" or 'plan B' because theres nothing else. You will be teaching motivated people who are paying good money to learn to fly. You should genuinely want to teach them and not just sit there next to them dreaming off flying the airbus that has just taxied passed you. As an FI, you will be worked hard and will earn ja** sh*t! Dont do it if your not suitably motivated for it, its not fair on your student

Halfwayback
29th Feb 2008, 19:04
Oli4

I understand why you are putting together a business plan and it needs an alternative source of revenue - which I presume (?) is why you asked here.

However, my impression on reading your first post is 'Why would you want to go to the Flight Instructors route if you have a fATPL?'

Most people go through the FI's licence on the way TO an ATPL. If you come out of OAA with the fATPL then you should be focussing on your first airline job rather than trying to make ends meet financially as an unmotivated FI. A First Officer's salary is far more stable and rewarding than the FI's renumeration.

You will see numerous threads here on landing that first job - that is what you need to concentrate on.

By writing the above I am in no way trying to put one ahead of the other because I think the Modular route through PPL, hour building, FI, Air taxi work is a very hard furrow to plough and I have great respect for all that come through that way. It certainly gives a 'more rounded' individual at the end of the day.

Good luck

HWB

AlphaMale
29th Feb 2008, 19:11
You might be better off doing some IT certifications and getting a job paying £20k pa 9-5 if it's just a temp / plan B. Blowing £6k of an FI course and then working with a school for 6 months isn't a very good financial plan at all.

You could spend £1,000 on IT certificates and find a much better paid job than spending £6k to get a £14k job.

I'm looking forward to instructing and plan on doing it for quite some time before a TP Operator let me through the door. Many pilots who are flying 747's are saying the amount of actual flying they do is very little and they miss flying the smaller TP's and teaching enthusiastic wannabes how to fly in a Seneca.

So the way I see it, money isn't everything and bigger/faster isn't always better. Chances are you'll only work your way up to the top ounce in your life so just enjoy it. Unless of course your doing it for the girlies / street cred?

I'm modular so I won't have HSBC asking for £1k per month for the next 6 years ;)

Good luck.

r44flyer
29th Feb 2008, 19:14
More like 10 years AM. The figures are scary and I'm quite glad I've chosen another route.