PDA

View Full Version : Netgear adaptor & network centre????

Wing Commander Fowler
29th Feb 2008, 06:40
Hi again - I have a netgear pcmcia wireless card which up to now has worked fine and suddenly it won't connect to a wireless connection. For some reason, despite unchecking the "let windows control my wireless settings" whenever we try to connect to the network I still get the little windows symbol in the start bar showing its trying to connect.........

The netgear one is there too.

Hope you can help here.

many thanx - fowler

LPS500
29th Feb 2008, 07:43
I have similar problems with a netgear wireless card in my pc. Normally the event viewer shows up lots of errors about ip lease expired and the like. Connecting my laptop to the router with a lan cable and using the router software to reboot the router gets things working again.

Wing Commander Fowler
29th Feb 2008, 07:55
Hmm but the router works fine with others - its only this laptop???

LPS500
29th Feb 2008, 08:21
Same with my system. My laptop connects fine, wifey's desktop connects fine, but my desktop with the netgear card regularly has the same problems. We use a netgear router too.

hellsbrink
29th Feb 2008, 08:22
I would start off by uninstalling and then reinstalling the Netgear software.

Will wrack brains to try and remember how to make sure Windows Zero thingie is switched off.

Saab Dastard
29th Feb 2008, 08:51
My experience with Win XP wifi networking is that it is MUCH easier to not install the Netgear wifi manager, just let Windows manage the wifi.

When in this position before, I have found it necessary to uninstall the Netgear app, then re-install the driver only, and set Windows to manage the connection.

SD

timmcat
29th Feb 2008, 19:26
... but XP's Zero Configuration Utility is prone to random disconnections in my experience. I overrode all my network machines so they used the card / adapter utility software after having these problems. A bit of a google showed that it can be an issue.

Will wrack brains to try and remember how to make sure Windows Zero thingie is switched off.

Start - run 'msconfig'. Select the services tab, find and uncheck zero configuration thingy and it'll not load from then on.