PDA

View Full Version : Alert! System battery voltage low message

Ejector
29th Feb 2008, 03:23
Hello All,

The last couple of times I turned on comp there has been a message: "Alert! System battery voltage low." This morn I even went in to set up and reset date/time. Do I physically need to buy new internal battery and replace it? I have never encountered this message before.”

Does anybody know if it is an issue?

EJ:ok:

hellsbrink
29th Feb 2008, 03:33
What is your PC? I assume it is a desktop and that message means that the motherboard battery is either dying or not recharging. Problem is, some motherboards do not let you change the battery. If you can tell us what the motherboard is I MIGHT be able to find out if it can be replaced but if you are not keen on opening up your PC then you'll be best getting someone else to look at it. As I say, the battery could be fine but the motherboard is an issue. That means spending a bit more as you will need a new motherboard.

Ejector
29th Feb 2008, 10:56
ACPI Multiprocessor PC

Unless it is an easy fix, I might get a techie so I don't cause more damage than it's worth, Does anyone know if it is just a battery replacement?

Is it a big deal in BIOS in that case?

EJ

hellsbrink
29th Feb 2008, 11:49
Only way to tell if it is the battery is to change it IF it can be changed.

Let one of your techies loose on it as it could be a sign of other problems.

A big deal? If you feel like resetting the clock and all of your settings every time you boot up the PC I guess it isn't a big deal. Not my idea of fun, though. If the battery does die completely, it can end up meaning that your system will not start at all. I would say that was a big deal.

Keef
29th Feb 2008, 13:45
Most modern mobos that I've tinkered with have those little button cells as backup batteries. Changing them is easy, if you're happy opening up the case.

If it's a soldered-in rechargeable, then a little more skill is needed.

bnt
29th Feb 2008, 15:41
Yeah - if the computer isn't more than roughly 5 y.o. (I guess) it's likely to be a button cell. Have a look inside, and if you see one just take it out and get a new one. Maplin, a pharmacy, maybe even a supermarket service counter. Leave the PC plugged in to the mains while that battery is out, and after it's replaced, in case you have any custom BIOS settings.

Pontius Navigator
29th Feb 2008, 17:59
Leave the PC plugged in to the mains while that battery is out, and after it's replaced, in case you have any custom BIOS settings.

And be very careful.

Or trawl through your bios settings and note them ALL down.

Then do leave the PC plugged in to the mains, with the power off, this will ensure it is earthed.

hellsbrink
29th Feb 2008, 18:50
I think the idea is to keep some power going through the system so the CMOS don't wipe, but I certainly wouldn't do that as the second you disconnect the old battery you will get a spark/surge and then when you cut the new batter in you will get another spark/surge which could, and probably will, cause all sorts of damage.

BNT. Button cells have been used for longer, but the big issue is that some cells CANNOT be changed easily due to them being soldered down. Also, the heat from the "wrong" soldering iron could fry other parts. It's not always as simple as changing the battery on a watch, for example. But the cells are standard ones, and most boards do have them set in a holder so they can be changed. Buy a brand name system (Just think Dell, HP, F-S, etc), however, and then that situation suddenly changes (24 hours after the warranty runs out, iPods, anyone?).

Since the Ejector knows a techie, I say get him to look at it since he suggested it himself. Changing the battery is always cheaper than a new motherboard so if you CAN it's always the first option. But it could also be a sign of other problems, which is why, every time I clean out my system, I look at everything extremely closely via magifying glass and flashlight and check to see if any capacitors are getting fatter or there is any sign of something getting too hot. If I see anything like that, then it's backup QUICKLY time as something is about to go POP.

If Ejector can tell me what motherboard it is (Is it custom built PC or one from a major brand (need model number then)? The initial BIOS screen may say what the motherboard is, Gigabyte XY123Z, for example, before the ram test, but that depends on the BIOS so you may not be able to see that. There should be tools out in webland which will tell you, but my mind just went completely blank when I started to think of one. SiSoft Sandra, I think, auto detects the motherboard and it's either a free trial or a free program. Tells you all sorts of things about your system and may spot something.), I MIGHT be able to find out if the battery is replaceable or not.

Bern Oulli
1st Mar 2008, 17:51
Belarc Advisor (http://www.belarc.com/ba5.html?B) can certainly tell you what your mother board is. This is what it told me about mine:
Board: http://www.abit.com.tw/ AV8 (VIA K8T800P-8237) 1.x. Not to mention the 1 million other things you might need to know.

Ejector
2nd Mar 2008, 13:44
Yes, it was a little 3 volt battery, and all seems to be fixed up.

Thanks so much for every bodies help, and I hope others learn from reading these too.
EJ :) :ok: