PDA

View Full Version : Access to Flight Deck?

Flying Lawyer
27th Jul 2000, 17:52
Would someone tell me, please:
Is it correct that the FAA prohibits passengers from the Flight Deck during flight?

Thanks.

britavia
28th Jul 2000, 05:06
Yes it is, at least if the airplane is operated under Part 135 or 121 regs. Unless you are a Commercial Pilot and have company ID, you cannot be admitted to the flight deck during flight.

Flying Lawyer
28th Jul 2000, 20:22
Thanks for the info.
Shame. http://geocities.com/r337m0nk3y/cwm/laugh.gif

Ignition Override
30th Jul 2000, 09:50
Except: If we have an unscheduled Part 91 ferry flight (to position to/from maintenance) which is treated as general aviation, we can actually have a buddy or family member on the jumpseat, or in back. I wouldn't want my wife or boy on the jumpseat if we take off from 'outsourced work' and suffer a major systems failure, not to mention a compound problem! Considering the serious problems documented in airplanes from such low-budget maintenance hangars (that's why they get the contracts for the work) as the one in Dothan, AL (tragically, the Andrews AFB Navy Reserve squadron lost a CV-580 and crew years ago during an emergency attempt to return to Dothan: the missed inspection of the elevator cable allowed the yoke to go forward, but not backward).

During revenue flight with our company, a senior company executive sending up his ID beforehand via a flt. attendant may enter, as one of our former 'wonder boy' co-owners did enroute from LAX to MSP not too long ago. He came up to brag about our superior marketing people versus the ***toids' people.

[This message has been edited by Ignition Override (edited 30 July 2000).]

Bear Cub
31st Jul 2000, 05:49
FL - why is it a shame that FAA does not allow flight deck visits?

Your e-mail address suggests you are in the UK - so to get onto an FAA aircraft you may be considering flying to America.

Travel with an airline that is G registered and you can do your flight deck visit.

Probably way off beam with this - just thought I'd mention it.

------------------
Hunting is bad!!
Support the right to arm Bears!!

Luftwaffle
31st Jul 2000, 06:45
As a footnote, US carriers do permit flight deck visits, on the ground, before or after the flight, so you're not entirely cut off from seeing the toys.

An American F/O invited the pre-student-pilot version of me to stay and watch while he showed me the company flight plan, and explained the programming of the FMS.

Bear Cub
1st Aug 2000, 07:08
Luftwaffle has a valid point - I too was offered a pre-flight flight deck visit by a Laker Airways crew (Miami - Manchester)...but I decided that the one time that I should not distract the crew was whilst they were loading the trip details into the FMC.

------------------
Hunting is bad!!
Support the right to arm Bears!!

Flying Lawyer
4th Aug 2000, 10:20
Thanks Bear Cub.
I'm flying G-Reg LHR-JFK, and LAX-LHR, but was confirming my suspicions for the USA domestic sector.