PDA

View Full Version : UPAS

Flame Out
27th Nov 1999, 11:12
Does anyone here ever heard of UPAS?

If yes, how effective are they?

Know anyone who ever got hired through UPAS?

Thanks.

squeakmail
27th Nov 1999, 17:21
UPAS is the name of a USA based pilot database.

For the sum of very close to $160 (£100) they will allow you to enter all your qualifications, experience, education and employers onto their database.

The layout is 100% American and will ask you for your grade school results, your High school major, and all things USA...if you have a European education your details will not fit and your application will be classed as incomplete. This makes your application 'presentation' look below standard.

Having said that, once you have paid your money and entered what details you can, your information will then be 'searched' by many companies - mainly USA ones (so don't bother unless you have green card of citizenship).

Many of the USA 'majors' (TWA, Delta etc.) will ONLY hire direct from the pages of UPAS as it is driven by the USA euivalent of BALPA (the airline pilots 'union').

TWA, for example, have entered into the database their minimum hiring qualifications. If any pilot enters the same minimums (or better) their information is automatically forwarded to Jim Elkan - the TWA recruitment manager. He would then send out an application form and start conversations with regard to interviews.

Again, if you are not authorised to live and work in the USA, forget it. Jim has said, as have all the airline operators, they WILL NOT sponsor work permits.

E-mail if you want any extra answers.

------------------
LIVE in peace...or REST in it!

Flame Out
28th Nov 1999, 07:20
Thanks Squeak,

I meet all the quals, just want to know if they are any good before I shell out the dough ($$$).

Know anyone that got hired through them?

squeakmail
28th Nov 1999, 07:51
"No".

But, that could be only because I do not move "in their circles".

Numerous operators - including many of the majors - will hire ONLY from UPAS clients.

You could also look at AEPS - and pay much smaller subscritions. $12 a calendar month.

------------------
LIVE in peace...or REST in it!

Flame Out
28th Nov 1999, 23:24
Thanks Squeak.

AEPS eh, that's still about 120 bones.

ironbutt57
30th Nov 1999, 15:39
UPAS is sponsored/operated by ALPO the dog food union..some major airlnes hire through them...an attempt to keep former scabs from getting jobs...don't know how effective it is or isn't...slightly dearer than AEPS..but geared towards airline candidates whereas AEPS lists charter, and corporate jobs as well, and your union affiliation or lack of is not applicable

britavia
30th Nov 1999, 19:06
There is another AEPS seminar coming up in Atlanta on Dec 18-19th. I was planning to go to this one as I will have to be near there that weekend anyway. I'd heard that the Chicago one was a bit of a flop for pilots looking for employment. Seemed they were interested in hiring flight attendants or A&Ps only!

Anybody had first hand experience with these seminars?

Flame Out
1st Dec 1999, 08:19
Thanks guys for all the inputs.

Any idea on IASCO?

Diesel8
5th Dec 1999, 22:38
UPAS is a rip off, just ALPA getting rich again on pilots, no I am not a scab, the only two companies using UPAS exclusively is TWA and Delta. Was a member for two years and got nothing in return, yes I am very qualified. Airinc is a better deal, at least you get a magazine, AEPS is also to be highly recommended, although mostly commuters and corporate jobs.