PDA

View Full Version : Sponsorship opportunities...

Max Thrust
16th Nov 1999, 13:18
Just curious as to how you approach a company for sponsorship...and whats the likelyhood of such a thing happening?

Im in OZ and wanting to have a go in the states if possible..as this country can be quite ordinary at times for opportunities!

Any suggestions or comments greatly appreciated!....ta

Bubbette
17th Nov 1999, 01:32
I would guess it's not likely you'll get sponsored as there are plenty of Americans looking for pilot jobs. If you're a nurse or a computer techie, you have a much better chance.

essbee
18th Nov 1999, 04:22
Have heard of at least one guy obtaining a sponsorship, You will need a US licence and it will help if you have contacts. Iwill be going back next year to try my luck , theres not much happenning in OZ. There seems to be heaps of jobs if your prepared to fly pistons.

------------------

OVC
18th Nov 1999, 11:04
You can forget sponsorship to the US...it doesn't happen.
Nothing happening in OZ?! It's better than it's ever been! KD, Nopulse, QF.....

US Freight Dog
18th Nov 1999, 11:10
Sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news Max Thrust, but I have been flying in the US since the beginning of my aviation career, and there are ZERO companies that have sponsorships. Believe me, if there was one I would be there right now. There are too many qualified pilots here in the US. Good Luck!!

essbee
19th Nov 1999, 13:03
US freight dog...... I was interested in your reply concerning US sponsorships. All the information I receive about the job scene indicates that a lot of regionals are actually lowering their standards because they cant get pilots.. The sponsorship system I mean is where you already have all the relevent licences and ratings , hours etc., and the said company sponsors you , thereby bypassing green card problems. I guess it is up to the employer how desperate they are . any comments?

------------------

weasil
19th Nov 1999, 15:58
Max Thrust,
I am in oz also. I am going to San Francisco in January to go to Sierra Academy. When are you leaving?

------------------
"eagles may soar but weasils don't get sucked into jet engines..."
http://users.hunterlink.net.au/~dfckm/weasil.htm

Johnny Cab
20th Nov 1999, 06:33
Flight International Magazine June 30, 1999.
"...two years ago a regional would not hire a pilot with less than about 2000 flying hours in his/her logbook. Now they are hiring 800h pilots and soon, the USA's major pilot training schools predict, they will be happy with 600h or less." I know Aussie pilots who have work permits. It's not easy, but it is possible. There's plenty of work in the States boys and girls. Just ask JJ flyer with his 1000 plus hours with turbine time. The pay sucks but crap pay and turbine time beats se piston time any day.

The Gimp
22nd Nov 1999, 10:06
G'day Max, What ya doin over ere? Still trying to get to the states? Whats up with the current situation? sounds good to me.
In terms of sh!t pay in the US I remember a friend of mine got a job out of Denver flying Lears. $1000 a month 7 days a week on call 24 hours a day and not to be more than 15 minutes from the airport. Is it really worth it???????? May be a bit exagerated but was how it was told to me. In fact if Paul C. you are out there or if anyone knows him get him to email. He used to fly for PIA in Saipan.

Max Thrust
22nd Nov 1999, 13:35
Weasil...I'm hoping first quarter of 2000..not sure of what part though...I have rellies in New York and Philly-so maybe east coast??

Ah Gimpo...yeah I know what your saying but things are roumoured to fall in a heap pretty soon...re company-pilots & jobs. A sale is imminent and apparently the new owner has his own guys.

I think i'd like to live like a feral for a while (sh*t pay etc) and fly two crew, turboprop, efis..the list goes on..than to stay in OZ and fly pistons till you get a lucky break once you've passed 3000hrs!

The dice will decide!

TonkaSkippy
23rd Nov 1999, 05:42
word from a few sources including a well known Irish Aircrew agency is that some US Carriers are lobbying to have "Pilots" included in the NAFTA open jobs category. The situation in Canada is similar to OZ, lots of high time pilots and few jobs. I know at least 25 guys in my town with over 10000 looking. If they get it (United is one of them) I'm not sure if it will extend to the UK and OZ. Canada has a North American Free Trade Agreement with the US & mexico kind of like the EU. Right now about 30 job categorys are 'open' between the countries.

wouldulikefrieswiththat
25th Nov 1999, 04:57
I'm still here in oz too waiting for something to happen. I've been burnt twice now in this country and am wanting to get to US also hopefully in march next year.
Maybe we can all help eachother?!

Look forward to hearing from someone soon

weasil
26th Nov 1999, 16:43
Hey Max, how close related are the rellies in NY? Perhaps that can overcome the greencard problem for you.

As for me I plan to get a J-1 visa (2years study and work as an instructor) followed by conversion to F-1 (Sierra academy in SF can do this) if you continue studying at night for an Embry-Riddle degree part time you can keep working for 3-4 years. In that time I plan to have a hell of an Adventure in the states and then if i get kicked out then so be it. I have often wondered how useful FAA licences are Dunnunda?

Are they employable down here... comments appreciated.

Weasil

------------------
"eagles may soar but weasils don't get sucked into jet engines..."
http://users.hunterlink.net.au/~dfckm/weasil.htm