PDA

View Full Version : CAA RT Licence Appended to FAA PPL

Famouswhendead
28th Feb 2008, 10:22
Morning one & all.

I have looked through LASORS, but found no answer to my question, so I turn to you for advice.
I have a FAA PPL and passed the CAA RT exam in November '07. I was thinking of applying for the RT Licence as a standalone before commencing my JAA CPL next month.

I have 2 questions for you.

Do I physically need the RT Licence in my hand before I commence CPL training or the skills test, or is the piece of paper saying I passed sufficient? That way, I could apply for both the JAA CPL & RT Licence at the same time (if there is any benefit in that).
If I apply for the standalone RT Licence now, does anybody know what I need to send off to the CAA? The guidance notes have confused me somewhat. All that is clear is that I need to pay £65, but as to what they require in documentation isn't clear.Any assistance greatly appreciated!

FWD.

Hufty
28th Feb 2008, 11:35
I can't give you a 100% correct answer I'm afraid, but you can train for your JAA CPL on the back of an ICAO PPL....the US doesn't really have an RT licencs as far as I can remember (I have a standalone FAA PPL too) so I can't imagine you will need one at all for the CPL issue??

Things may have changed though so apologies if I'm a little behind the curve?

Keygrip
28th Feb 2008, 13:06
FWD, the UK authorities have decreed that if you wish to sit the CPL Skill Test for the issue of a UK CPL then you must have passed the UK Radio Telephony Operators Licence before you sit the skill test.

There is no need to actually HOLD the licence at the time and, as RT licence issue is free of charge *IF IT FORMS PART OF A UK PILOT LICENCE*, there is nothing to gain from applying for it in advance. Indeed, you will *LOSE* the RT application fee (as an early application for an RT licence NOT forming part of a UK pilots licence will cost you).

Other JAA member states don't necessarily insist in the same way. The UK is just trying to keep up the standards of RT (and, for once, I applaud them for it).

EchoMike
28th Feb 2008, 14:25
There's no FAA issued radio license or test.

In the old days, you'd get a radio transmitter license from the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) which licensed you to use the various transmitters (Com, ELT, TXP) in your aircraft, no license was required to receive. It was $75 for 10 years. If you didn't get the radio license, you could still get a pilot's license but you couldn't use anything that transmitted - so everyone got the radio license.

The FCC (finally) realized that it was costing them more to collect the $75 and file the information than it was worth (parking meter syndrome), and there was really no valid reason to collect it anyway other than "we've always done it this way" so in a moment of sheer genius decided to eliminate the requirement entirely. (Are you listening, governments everywhere????)

You no longer need to get a radio license in the US. (I still have mine, issued in 1979, taped to the inside of my logbook - just for old time's sake.)

If you plan to take your N-reg airplane outside of the United States (even only to Canada, Mexico or the Bahamas), ICAO regs say you are supposed to have this license, so you get to go back to the FCC with $75 in hand . . . and you're good for another 10 years.

The FCC realized they weren't DOING anything for the $75 other than mailing out pieces of paper - no test, no compliance requirement, no field checks, no equipment inspections, just maintaining a database of people who had paid $75 to be allowed to talk on aircraft radios. They drove a stake through their own hearts before the OMB did it for them (Office of Management and Budget - looks for instances of absurd waste in government and actually does something about it, sometimes.)

Best Regards,

Echo Mike

IRISHPILOT
28th Feb 2008, 14:52
to emphasize what EM says in his second last sentence: Using an FAA PPL (or CPL or ATPL), you MUST hold an FCC licence. This goes for flying any registration and any flights outside US airspace.

apply somewhere on fcc.gov

TelBoy
28th Feb 2008, 15:12
The FCC website is a bit of a mine field, but if you wish to use your FAA PPL outside US airspace you will need the certificate.

It costs US$60 (I've just got mine) and it lasts for life.

I think the real test comes in understanding the FCC website.

You need to look for Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit - Limited Use.

You only have to tick you can understand English :)

EchoMike
28th Feb 2008, 18:31
"Bit of a minefield" . . . how about incomprehensible. Seriously.

Called their help # which is 800 CALL FCC which of course can't be dialed from outside of the US, but spoke with a helpful young lady named Lucy.

1st step is get an FRN - "Federal Reference Number" so they know who they are talking to. This comes from "wireless.fcc.gov", no www or http first.

Once you are "awarded" an FRN, you continue to the page that lets you select the license you want - you want "RR" or Restricted Radiotelephone.

Fill in the blanks, pay by credit card, it was $60 for life, not $75 for 10 years (I stand corrected) - and doing it on the web is 10,000% easier and faster than printing out form 605C, 160, and 159 and blah blah blah.

Much easier than it first seemed, and now I'm set for life. (at least for this)

Best Regards,

Echo Mike

Famouswhendead
29th Feb 2008, 18:02
Many thanks for all your contributions! I've managed to get all the info I was after from your posts. :ok: