PDA

View Full Version : UAL Jumpseat

Aeronort
11th Nov 1999, 05:05
Any body know if it is possilbe to go to the Flight deck on a UAL flight? I am an Aussie with a PPL and want to visit the pilots over the 14 hour flight to the US.

LiveFastPlayHard
11th Nov 1999, 07:51
Sorry mate, the FARs and UA's Company policy are very strict on this particular request. You may only visit the flightdeck whilst the aircraft is at the gate but once the flightdeck door is closed, no one is allowed in other than flight crew or cabin crew on duty.
Yeah I know it's BS but as the foreigners say here, "Only in America !"

It is a "security" thing so I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Fly Safe

------------------
Live Fast, Play Hard !

rnobson
11th Nov 1999, 08:20
FAA Regulations say that only a Commercially licensed pilot with a current airline ID is allowed in the "PIT" while a/c is in motion

aviator
11th Nov 1999, 12:14
The restriction on visits to the cockpit is the same for all US carriers in flight.
It was caused by a rash of hijackings from homesick Cubans some years back.
On the ground, however, visitors are most welcome.
Generally, the best time is prior to departure.
As for jumpseaters, you have to be a pilot for a US carrier.

------------------

JJflyer
11th Nov 1999, 21:18
All of the above is correct...
You need a valid part 121 or 135 ID and a valid pilots licence...
Some companies take you on on the jumpseat if you are a licenced pilot and you have a paid ticket and you fill a Jumpseat form.
But more usually you have to have an agreement btwn your airline and the one you want to jump with.
Captain though has the final word about who sits in the cocpit.

JJ

Flame Out
16th Nov 1999, 10:42
From past experiences, some airlines will also allow American pilots with foreign carriers to jumpseat. Begger can't be chooser.

US Freight Dog
18th Nov 1999, 11:19
Sorry, I'm an American pilot, and I have tried to get into the cockpit since I was a kid... no such luck in the US!! The company policies, and federal aviation regulations that govern American flights strictly prohibit such visits. Most foreigners are used to inflight cockpit visits. Here in the United States, most people are shocked to learn that foreign airlines allow any non-crew member into the cockpit during flight! My advice: when boarding the aircraft, ask the flight attendant to see the cockpit. The pilots are more than happy to have people visit... but only when the plane is at the gate!!

Turtlenest
22nd Nov 1999, 09:18
I saw a letter from a FSDO allowing 121 equivalent pilots on the j/s if they had FAA licenses and a U.S. passport

Flame Out
27th Nov 1999, 11:09
Turtlenest, despite what FSDO said it is still up to the discretion of the airline whether or not you can jumpseat.

And more often than not the final authority comes down to the ever friendly gate agent.