PDA

View Full Version : Tattoos?

nick14
28th Feb 2008, 00:20
Hey all,

Just a quick question, Do airlines ask if you have any tattoos in interviews?

Thanks

MungoP
28th Feb 2008, 00:47
Never heard of it.. though many owners of large yachts insist that crew are tattoo free...
Maybe it's a good idea that airlines do ask the question, after all I'm not sure that someone who has stood in front of the bathroom mirror and decided that an ink drawing on their torso is a good idea should ever be at the controls of an aircraft. :ugh:

Earl
28th Feb 2008, 04:16
Don't think the airlines worry so much about this as long as the tattoo is covered by your uniform.
Someone with spider web arms would probably frighten the passengers as any one could guess.
Some pilots are ex military and tattoo's were a thing to do in the younger years.
Now we have the biker thing going on with Doctors, Lawyers etc buying Harleys and getting tattoos.
Really don't think its a problem as long as its covered, they would never know anyway.

cochise
28th Feb 2008, 04:33
The only time I've heard of the question being asked is during the medical examination and used only as a means of identification.
Maybe it's just here in Africa granted our high prang rate!:E

coasterworld
28th Feb 2008, 09:25
Mungo
Thats about the dummest I ever heard, I am a 737 800 Captain with 10.000 hr. And a bunch of tattoos. But some people judge on the skin and not on the inside. Do you look ugly, ? would you fly with a person that looks ugly, or one thats look like Arnold. I know, I dont pass judgment before I know the person. But I would make a exeption on you.

Lafyar Cokov
28th Feb 2008, 10:13
There are ugly pilots?????

AlphaMale
28th Feb 2008, 13:36
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53716

13 pages there for you.

;)

powerstall
28th Feb 2008, 13:55
Normally it isn't asked in the interview process, it'll only be an issue once you have your full medical examination or pre-employment medical....

:}

Earl
28th Feb 2008, 15:52
Got a few myself coasterworld.
Really means little in this industry.
Quote: Mungo P
Maybe it's a good idea that airlines do ask the question, after all I'm not sure that someone who has stood in front of the bathroom mirror and decided that an ink drawing on their torso is a good idea should ever be at the controls of an aircraft.
Today 04:20
Earl:
So Mungo P, since when did you become the judge and expert on this.
Must have missed you on my last sim check or the tattoo JAR/FAA/DCA check airman.
Been watching too much Oprah, Top Gun or Dr . Phil?
Nick14 asked a good question and needed a good honest answer.
If you have a tattoo and covered its not a problem.

MungoP
28th Feb 2008, 18:18
Don't care how many hrs are in your logbooks...my opinion still stands... tattoos are like Harleys.. thoroughly pointless and a sad reflection on their owners.

mcgoo
28th Feb 2008, 18:38
Don't feed the trolls!

Cabin Man
28th Feb 2008, 23:25
I was asked at my airline interview

And told as long as they do not show it would be ok if they show you must cover them with a plaster

cal900
28th Feb 2008, 23:40
As long as they are coverd who will know?

I once saw a large chap in Hull before the footie with "Kill all refugees" tattooed across his head. It took all my will power not to laugh and face an almost certain kicking from the bloke.

I think he might struggle to get a decent job, let alone one in charge of a plane :=

R T Jones
29th Feb 2008, 07:59
As long as it’s not visible while you’re at work no problem. However, I have seen the odd pilot with one on their forearm which was visible. Just have some common sense and don't get a massive tattoo on your face! Unless it’s a Spiderman mask, perhaps that is acceptable.

GPMG
29th Feb 2008, 08:04
What about a Stewerdess with a 'Slag tag'? If it was showing through her shirt at the back?

MikeAlphaBravo
29th Feb 2008, 20:59
GPMG, nice touch!! Mungo, you really do need to get a life.....

MungoP
29th Feb 2008, 22:21
Never said it DID have any relation to ones ability to fly an aircraft.. just points to someone who's a bit of a saddo... Why do you think a company would insist on them being covered ?.. only so the pax won't think they've got a tosser up front... and MKA, I'm willing to bet my life is and always has been a damn sight fuller and more interesting than you can imagine...

at least I've never felt the need to look in a mirror and think I might make it more interesting by having ink-stains needled into myself. :yuk: Sounds like it's not me needing to get a life.

And yes.. a pity about Ibiza.. used to be a stylish place until brain dead lager thickoes and their horizontally inclined females.. or what passes for females there nowadays trashed the place... they probably get flown there while totally rat-arsed by pilots with tattoos. Welcome to modern air-travel....

hollingworthp
29th Feb 2008, 22:42
Sigh - the 'yoof' of today, where's my smoking jacket, pipe, goggles and silk flying scarf, I need to pop off for a dry sherry and reminisce about the days when pilots were real men (&/or women ....) and you could walk down the street with a handle-bar moustache without appearing to be in the village people ;)

SAA
1st Mar 2008, 08:31
Mungo!! I hope I dont have to share the deck with you one day. You need to grow up.

Falconideo
1st Mar 2008, 14:48
Mungo, you should really keep your opinion to yourself mate!
Nobody is interested on your system of labelling people or places!
With that attitude you're going to be the boring fart that everyone hates to have on the flightdeck!

Get a life... :ugh: