PDA

View Full Version : Easy and Aer Lingus

JETWINGS
27th Feb 2008, 18:27
Was wondering if there was anyone who has worked for both would be willing to share their thoughts on how they compare -(lifestyle, roster, training and operating standards and just how overall picture compares working at each of them)

any feedback would really be greatly appreciated -cheers

Lummy
1st Mar 2008, 15:39
Hi,

Before I begin, I must state that this is purely based on my own experience!

I have just left easy for AL. Training is excellent with both companies. However, AL will pick up the tab and bond you whereas easy/ctc will charge you for the honor! £23k when I did it but they do pay you back tax free over five years (you actually end up with £25k). You will be paid from day 1 with AL but not with easy. You're technically with CTC during your type rating and you won't get paid until successful completion of your LST. Also with easy you will be paid 90% of your salary for the first 6 months in rank (FO and Captain but not SFO). The pay rates are similar for an easy SFO and an AL FO (or Co-Pilot as they prefer to call you). At easyJet you will be invited to join a very good share scheme (provided the shares go up that is!). This has proved to be quite lucrative for many people.

The people at easyJet are good as well. You are always going to get a few odd balls in any company but I only met 1 "Character" in my short stint there which I think is quite good going. The current easyJet CEO seemed very switched on. Everything is done online and is pretty slick. You will have an hour report for a normal flight and 1 hr 15 mins for a training flight. At AL it's 45 mins regardless which can leave you alittle rushed for a 4 sector Line Training day.

The easyJet 5/3/5/4 roster was a thing of beauty as far as I was concerned! BA and the like may have better pay and allowances but there is alot to be said for a roster that gets you home every night. I joined during the massive recruitment of 2006/07 so there were alot of pilots in the company by the end of last year. Subsequently I was on track to do around 750-800 hours in the year. You will hear horror stories of 6 sector days and the like. I was based at LPL and STN and never had to do any that. I believe it only happened in EDI (EDI-BFS x 3) in 2006ish when easyJet were short of people (I'm prepared to be shot down in flames over that one though!). You will have to do 2 reserve months in the year where it reverts to a random roster. You will know when they are coming but you won't know what exactly you will be doing. Again because of the surplus in pilots in easy I ended up only working 6 or 7 days during my two reserve periods( this was in LPL so I can't speak for the other bases). The rest was spent on standby. On the whole the roster was pretty stable once it was published around the 17th of the month.

Basing. At EZY, you can be pretty much stuck anywhere during your line training. I reluctantly went to STN for mine. However, the people were great and I was sad to leave by the end of my time there. If you want a base transfer you simply apply to your Base Captain and your name goes on the waiting list. The List is published regularly and is open for everyone to see. You then just bide your time. I had to wait 3 months before moving to LPL. If you want to go to any of the German bases, forget it! You'll number 35 or so on the list!

At easyJet you will be flying brand new A319s with Laptop computers for the perfomance. The majority of AL's A321/0 are slightly older but they are getting new A320s to supplement the existing fleet. AL still use paper perfomance sheets which is "interesting" to say the least! I believe that will change in the near future too.

I have only been with AL for a short period so I don't feel qualified to give a proper answer to the roster/lifestyle question. IALPA representation is very strong and will fight for your rights when required. The folks at the coal face are good, professional and a pleasure to fly with.

With the rosy picture I painted of easyJet you are probably wondering why I left. Well it was purely for personal reasons. The missus is Irish and well let's just say that apples don't fall too far from their tree! Many people still consider easyJet to be stepping stone to the BAs and the Virgins of this world but I firmly believe that it is a career airline in it's own right. Every company has it's faults but looking back on it easyJet didn't have too many major ones. Admittedly the pension could be better and the little gotcha of internal promotions to Captain being on 90% pay for the first 6 months! Oh yes and no footwell warmers! AL don't have them either, gutted!

Sorry for such a rambling reply. I hope it helps and good luck with which ever company you go for. Probably BA after reading this!

Lummy

JETWINGS
4th Mar 2008, 20:56
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply Lummy -great post

doesnt look like too many around who have worked for both -anyone willing to share any info on life in Lingus, not much on here about them these days

any further thoughts on easy appreciated too