PDA

View Full Version : My turn now (memory problem)

frostbite
27th Feb 2008, 16:54
Perhaps inspired by the recent thread, I have purchased 2x1gb modules to replace the 2x256mb in my Dell Dimension 3000.

They appear to tick all the right boxes and are exactly as described on the Crucial website, as well as the Dell .pdf manual.

Only thing I have noted is that the RAM speed in the bios is shown at a fixed 333 and these are rated at 400. When installed, the machine gives four beeps which I believe is code for RAM error, but I can't see anything going on because the on board video of course utilises the RAM, so the screen stays blank!

Any thoughts?

gibbo568
27th Feb 2008, 18:32
Normally, if new RAM is installed which is faster than the speed set in the BIOS, it will just run at the slower speed.
Have you reinstalled the old RAM just to make sure thats where the problem lies?
Are both modules correctly seated?
Try installing one module at a time, RAM is normally reliable these days, but a fault is still possible, even if the motherboard is Dual Chanel it should work with only one module fitted.
If the BIOS can't be altered to match the new RAM speed, perhaps the motherboard need a BIOS upgrade? Information about this should be available on the manufacturer's website, (once you are back in action!)

That's all I can think of at the moment, hope it helps.

Gibbo.

hellsbrink
27th Feb 2008, 18:47
frostbite, can you tell me more about the "beeps"?

Is it 1 beep, pause, then a burst of 3 beeps, pause, 1 beep (for example)?

(Try reseating the ram modules, and ALWAYS put a single module in the ram slot closest to the processor if you are going to try with one ram module at a time)

PS. Is there 4 lights on the back of the machine? When you turn on the power, they will be able to tell us something)

E.Z. Flyer
27th Feb 2008, 19:12
Dell 3000 Error Codes (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim3000/en/SM/adtshoot.htm#wp1056471)

hellsbrink
27th Feb 2008, 19:54
And to add to E.Z.'s post, the manual tells you what these 4 lights on the back of the machine mean (page 33).

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim3000/en/OM/j6758A04.pdf

frostbite
27th Feb 2008, 19:55
Thanks for all the suggestions. I did try just one module together with one of the originals but the latter was all that was recognised.

I think I may have identified the problem, apparently a rather nasty seller's trick. There are either high or low density memory modules, with the latter being required for the vast majority of computers.

Think I have the high density variety!

hellsbrink
27th Feb 2008, 20:16
Frostbite, what are the part numbers of the memory modules?

This is what Crucial says to use, http://www.crucial.com/search/searchresults.aspx?keywords=dimension%203000 , so as long as you have modules listed here they SHOULD work.

PS. You can't "mix and match" old and new modules, according to Dell. They have to be the same.

frostbite
27th Feb 2008, 21:37
Reading the label, it says 1GB DDR 400MHz-CL2.5 PC3200U-253303-7013101.

What is really annoying me is the eBay seller (with 20K+ feedback) who sent them after I told him what they are for, and not to send if wrong.

Thanks again for your help.

PS They most resemble the third item on that list, being 128x64 Non ECC.

hellsbrink
28th Feb 2008, 09:15
so it isn't actually Crucial memory?

is there any name on it?

Saab Dastard
28th Feb 2008, 18:07
It looks like you may have incorrect memory.

Faster memory then originally installed will usually work OK - but you can't install ECC memory unless the system supports it. Is the new memory ECC or non-ECC?

Can you check the Dell manual for the correct spec. of memory (and what the mobo supports)? Also read the details and part numbers off the existing modules to use as the spec. for identifying correct modules.

SD

hellsbrink
28th Feb 2008, 18:24
Dell Dim 3000 needs non-ecc and the specs are in that Crucial link I posted, SD. Otherwise, the voltage is fine, speed is fine according to manual, so he could have been sent ecc. Would be nice to know if one module works on it's own, though, and not with one of the "original" modules installed as well.

Oh, the joys of ebay..

frostbite
28th Feb 2008, 20:01
Hello again. It is non-ECC memory and it complies with all the descriptions both I and hellsbrink have been able to find except this damned high density/low density business which has been previously unknown to me.

I doubt that one module on its own would respond any more than the one which didn't respond when paired with an original - unless you know different?

Got an email from the seller who wants any return sent via tracked package - he spent just over £1 mailing to me but charged £8 p&p and I bet he won't refund any of that !

Saab Dastard
28th Feb 2008, 20:42
he spent just over £1 mailing to me but charged £8 p&p

Report excessive postage to ebay and make sure that it is reflected in the feedback for the postage charges section.

SD