PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the advice ?*!

Hootie
16th Oct 1999, 12:27
I can only assume the whole of North America were either on Holiday or watching Cable.

Still I guess the Freedom of Information Act is all Hype !

Eject ! ..... Eject !
Maverick and Goose go down in Flames !

McD
17th Oct 1999, 00:40
Easy Hootie...this North America thread is still relatively new . . . many PPRuNers haven't put it in their "check regularly" habit pattern (or they got tired of only finding Rafiki's topic!)

I'm sure you know that the major airlines in the US are hiring like crazy. Movement is quick, which is creating new job vacancies for commuter pilots and others as they move to the majors.

What are your goals (short and long term) with regards to flying? Are you looking for JAR/CAA schools, or do you want to work in the USA long-term?

Phoenix is a great city. And the weather is very suitable for building up your flying hours and getting some recency/currency requirements met. I don't know any specifics regarding flying schools or jobs there, but it should be a good place to start. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by McD (edited 16 October 1999).]

XL5
17th Oct 1999, 01:14
Questions pertaining to the state of the american employment market? Seeking advice? Obviously not a moment to lose so lets roll our sleves up and get down to it.

The employment situation:
A certain regional airline (turboprop equipment) has suspended several essential air service contracts as a consequence of chronic pilot shortage,58 pilots are reported to have moved onto greener pastures within a 54 day period.
With your experience you will have no problems securing employment with a regional carrier although remuneration along with working conditions and quality of life will of course suck.

Now the advice:
Perhaps better to stay in good old blighty where a laughably inadequate 200hrs of bug smasher time nets you the right seat on a 'die by wire scarebus';you just have to twiddle a button or two and watch the aircraft fly itself.It is rumoured that on occasion the aircraft actually does what the pilot would have made it do manually if only the basic flying skills had been there.I personally place the blame for this lamentable state of affairs on british flight instructors insisting upon students watching the wingtips during primary flight training,stirling character building stuff of the old school that is unfortunately hopelessly wrong.
However,should you end up stateside then welcome to the real world of aviation and hearty congratulations on your escape from the limey twilight zone.

US regional airlines need pilots, you really should encounter no problems in getting hired.

[This message has been edited by XL5 (edited 17 October 1999).]

Hootie
20th Oct 1999, 01:20
Gentlemen !

What can I say, thanks for the advice and comments

McD - Thanks. in answer to your question the long term aim is to stay within the US long term, ideally flying for a MEDIUM sized operator (737 - 757)and enjoying life the american way. As mentioned I do have a green card and need to refresh the CPL.

The only reason Phoenix was mentioned is due to the fact that it appears to be one of the main growth regions in the states at the moment. However I'm willing to go to any area that could offer me the prospect of a flying position ( any comment ? )

XL5 - Your comments on the UK system are noted and I agree that the FAA system is more geared to practical skills. Flying in the states is more enjoyable and certainly less regulated by small people in big jobs !

Once again guys thanks and I'm sorry for the delay in replying ..... I was watching Cable !!

Be safe and try some Tea instead of coffee !