PDA

View Full Version : Uncommanded computer shut downs.

con-pilot
26th Feb 2008, 16:31
I hope someone here will be able to help me before I am forced to go to a 'Help function' with HP.

About a month ago I would be working on my laptop (HP Pavilion dv4000) and the dang thing would just shut down. No warning, the screen would go black and the lights would go out. If I tried an immediate restart, the computer would get to the screen page and shut down again. If I left the computer off for over 15 minutes it would come back and work fine for about two hours and the same thing would happen.

So, I took the laptop in and had it checked out, they found some minor issues but nothing that would cause the computer to just turn itself off. Hard drive checked just fine.

Then a big clue, the laptop would only turn itself off at my office. It would work fine at home or anywhere else. The only thing that was different at my office was that it was plugged into the printer, a HP Photosmart C5180 All-in-One.

I un-installed the printer software and tried to re-install the program and the laptop shut down during the loading. Currently the printer software is un-installed.

So, any ideas before I have to go the help nightmare?

Thanks. :ok:

Pontius Navigator
26th Feb 2008, 16:53
con, both HP, the answer is obvious as you suggest. Call HP or perhaps try google.

poss
26th Feb 2008, 17:11
Sometimes printers cause errors like this... they are usually linked to -

Faulty USB's - be it on the printer side or the laptop's side
Faulty USB Cable
Drivers corrupt
USB ports corrupt

Steps to take -
1. I'd say reinstall the printer using drivers from HP's website.
2. Reinstall USB ports in device manager
3. Change cable
4. Reinstall Windows

If non of these solve it then it looks like you have a hardware issue with either devices. If other USB devices work on the laptop no problem i'd say its the printer.

Hope this helps.
:ok:

stickyb
26th Feb 2008, 23:29
What is the laptop standing on? Is there a possibility of poor airflow causing overheating? This is usually a cause unexpected shutdown.

Parapunter
27th Feb 2008, 06:27
99% of shutdowns/blues screens of death are driver related - if it were my machine, I would install & run windows debugger, which is a free download from MS - it is not straightforward to run, it takes a little comprehending to get it to work correctly, but for definitively sorting out & identifying exactly what is causing system problems, nothing comes close.

However, if as seems possible, you have already identified the offending driver/software, then I would look for newer versions or updates.

green granite
27th Feb 2008, 07:43
My wife brought a new printer (a cheap all in one Lexmark) it installed ok and worked fine, the next morning the computer would not boot, unplugged the printer it booted once running plug the printer back in it was fine. Never did sort it, she just plugged the usb lead in when she wanted to use it. When I replaced the computer with the one from downstairs the problem went away. :ugh::ugh: