PDA

View Full Version : Ideal external HDD

Parapunter
26th Feb 2008, 12:00
Morning all.

I like to use an external HDD to backup all my work data once a day - off one machine & onto another at home, so that if one blows, I can always rescue the data. It's become part of my routine since one of my machines went bang a year ago or so.

Currently, I'm using a freecom 80gb mobile drive, which has proven to be reliable, however, I now wish to extend the principle the other way I.e. I wish to make a backup of my media - mp3's videos etc and thus I'm thinking of something in the 3-500gb range.

Ideally, I would like a drive that is powered off usb only, so as to not have to plug & unplug things & it must also fit into a small laptop case. Any recommendations??

Thanks.

bnt
26th Feb 2008, 12:47
Your self-powering requirement is going to limit you to a notebook-size drive (2.5"). The first 500GB notebook drive has just been announced, but is not available yet, but currently 250GB is the limit on what's easily available in 2.5".

I don't have a specific recommendation: what I did a few years ago was get the drive I wanted, plus a USB enclosure for it. Have a look at e.g. Komplett (http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/kl.aspx?bn=10095) for examples in the £10-20 range - the first Akasa models are IDE-only (not a problem) for £11. So you're not limited to the external drives that are available, if you're a little adventurous. e.g. a Western Digital (WD) Passport II (http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.aspx?sku=336854) 250GB external drive is £99 on Komplett, while the Akasa enclosure + a WD 250GB drive is £75+11 = £86.

PS: on my 6-y.old. laptop I need to use a cable with 2x USB plugs (supplied), just to get enough juice to the drive, but that wasn't needed with a newer laptop.

Pontius Navigator
26th Feb 2008, 16:58
Parapunter,

I use a LAN drive. Got the case from Maplin for £30 but it is onlt FAT/FAT 32 capable. You can get NTFS cases too. Clearly not as portable but in my case it is connected to the router.

Powerwise I use a remote control and can power off the drive when not required or I could use a timer that worked to my backup schedule. Problem with that would be remembering to reset after a power outage.

With a backup scheduler program it is fit and forget with an occasional restore to check things.