PDA

View Full Version : Class I , IAA JAA vs. CAA JAA

RavenII
26th Feb 2008, 11:11
Hi folks,

I need my JAA class one medical asap. I'm holding a class one FAA, but I know that I will probably have some trouble with my eyesight here in Europe.

I'm not quite sure what is the best place to do the inital examination. Gatwick? Dublin? Or better somewhere completly different?

I, originally from Germany (living in Ireland at the moment), but I know that the german JAA is holier than the pope, so I guess I rather do it somewhere else. (Even a german MD told me to go to england or somewhere else)

Who of you guys has experience with the Dublin and Gatwick examination, what would you recommend?

I have almost 1200 hours pic and a FAA CPL/CFI, so i'm also wondering if I really have to fullfill the inital criterias, or if I have a chance that the MD will tend a little bit towards the renewal requirements?

Thanks for every helpful answer......

Cheers

Dennis

ab33t
26th Feb 2008, 11:58
Sorry Dude,

I have the same problem , I have a 1st Class FAA with no restrictions but cannot get a 1st Class JAA without restriction . You have to do the whole medical at Gatwick , have a look around there are many other places Holland , Spain etc .

RavenII
26th Feb 2008, 13:00
Thanks for your answer......

Have you tried gatwick or another country already?

Is Gatwick known as a hard examination, I mean, do you think it would be easier in Holland or whereever?

I haven't tried anything so far, I just wanna go to the right institution at the first try, I heard gatwick is much easier than Germany. (Just as an example)

Any experience or comparison with other countries? I know it should be the same everywhere, but i guess that's not really how it is......or am I wrong?

Leo45
26th Feb 2008, 15:46
As a matter of fact the IAA JAA medical is apparently "more stringent", shall we say,than a CAA JAA Class1 or an Austrian Austrocontrol Class1.

Another example of discrepancies is that the French DGAC is still doing an EEG for initial and then every 5 years, whereas the UK CAA doesn't do EEG anymore! As for the ECG, it's every 12 months in France below 40 and every 6 months after whereas with the CAA is every other year between 30 and 40, every year from 40 to 50.

Obviously all these various medicals are said to be compliant with JAR-FCL3.

Obviously, things will change when the EASA takes over Flight Crew Licensing, there will be no leaway and strict adherence to FCL3 will be enforced.That's the plan anyway...

I'd go for a UK CAA Class 1.Gatwick AMEs seem to be sensible and fair.

Good luck!

RavenII
26th Feb 2008, 16:03
Thanks for that answer.......

I was thinking about Austrocontrol as well, i heard they are good, too. Well, maybe i should make an appointment with gatwick....

I have the problem that my astigmastism is more than 2.00

I hope the examiners are not strictly going by the book.

mutt
26th Feb 2008, 18:04
RavenII, the Maher Aeromedical center are extremely helpful, however they can only refer your application to the IAA, by all accounts their doctor isnt so pleasant.

Suggest you book an appointment with Dr Killeen and ask his opinion.

BTW, depending on your next step in flight training, you better check if the country of training requires you to have conducted the medical with their doctors. This is a JAA requirement when you are commencing initial training.

Cheers

Mutt

The Jolly Roger
26th Feb 2008, 19:12
Hello,

I've been investigating a class 1 medical recently and am unable to qualify due to an eye condition i have for years. I do hold, however, a class 2 and ATCO medical. I have found and heard that the CAA do take each case separately, unlike the IAA who sees everything at the moment in black and white. NO leaway whatsoever....The CMO is quite stricy here too...EASA rules are supposed to be a little more relaxed and I do believe apply some common sense. Has anyone heard of developments there by the way??

qnh78
27th Feb 2008, 10:38
Hi,

do you know when EASA will take care of Flight Crew Licencing? during 2008?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
br, QNH78

RavenII
27th Feb 2008, 16:47
Thanks for all your answers guys

I guess i will go for Gatwick then. I send them an email yesterday, and i have already my answer. They told me i have to do an extended renewal examination to get my Inital Class I (Due to my FAA Class I and flight experience)

I might still see Dr. Killeen in Dublin, just to figure out what he thinks.

Cheers guys

Dennis

ivierre
7th Mar 2008, 09:20
RavenII,

I am not very sure about this but since you have FAA CPL and FAA class 1? Isnt it that CAA will apply the renewal standard on your application? Which the astigmatism limit will be 3, or (which i am not positive), there is no limit for renewal?

Please, could someone confirm with this or correct me if i am wrong. :confused: