PDA

View Full Version : Work Permit

dash8pilotCanada
25th Feb 2008, 19:25
hello all,

By trade I am both an economist and a pilot, by birth a Canadian. I wanted to know is it possible to go the US and work on a TN or HB1 Visa as an economist and then later change to a pilot job on the same visa?

Thanks in advance

JetA
25th Feb 2008, 22:00
You should look at the NAFTA agreement. If you have your Masters degree you might fall into one of their jobs on that list. As for changing later you would have to look at the VISA there might be a stipulation that you can only work in that field that the VISA was issued for.

BelArgUSA
1st Mar 2008, 06:23
I would really make this a "Sticky" for this North America Forum...
xxx
I have read more questions about this issue under many forms.
How do I get a Visa for the USA to be a pilot.
Then 50 or 100 answers which are "NO" or "IMPOSSIBLE", and "FORGET IT"...
But nobody seem to be able to read...
xxx
So, the same question comes back in other "diversified forms"...
Then it is worded "How do I train for a FAA CPL/IR in USA...?" -
And, in last paragraph of that thread, ends with "And how about a US Green Card...? -
The answer will still be a "NO"...
xxx
Then again, it will be "How about getting an instructor certificate...?"
Or "How to become a regional airline pilot...?"
Even "How about a Patagonia corporation executive pilot job based in USA...?"
Have you ever tried wording it "How to become a Goodyear Blimp pilot...?"
Or "Hot Air Balloon pilot jobs in USA...?
Suggestion, maybe try "Pilot of Ultralight Piggyback Airlines in USA...?"
Well, you are right, there is a way, should you be rated with fATPL on the Space Shuttle.
xxx
The answers will still be the same - USA does not issue VISAS for pilots...
If you want to live/work in USA, be a doctor or a nurse, there are visas for that job classification.
And also for some scientists and researchers.
But do not expect Miss Hillary, or the Irish-American O'Bama to change pilot visa policies.
Nor is McCain, who was a pilot, war hero, and for 5 years a prisoner.
These guys already have to deal with 12 million illegal immigrants in the US.
So do not expect them to open the flood gates, because you earned a JAR fATPL, with MCC etc...
Immigration already has enough concerns about other matters.
xxx
Face it, my friends...
USA is the greatest place on earth for excellent pilot training, inexpensive and expeditious licensing.
But as far as pilot jobs are concerned... read the conditions again.
There are plenty of young guys and girls with CPL/IR with 500 hrs waiting for regionals to have decent salaries.
And yes, the majors carriers will eventually hire 300 hrs pilots like they did in the late 1960s.
And that will be, provided that the applicants have the right to live/work in USA.
Citizenship is not the issue. The issue is the right to live/work in USA.
It is not a matter of a A visa, B visa, H visa, or K visa... Try the rest of the alphabet for visas...
The answer remains NO... What part of NO don't you understand...?
xxx
With the devalued dollar, the barrel of oil at $102, the gold at $950 an ounce, forget it.
The USA is facing a terrible challenge, and economic downturn.
And the forecast is not good.
Salaries are the pits... Houses are being foreclosed.
Who can afford to work as pilot with salaries of instructor, or regional pilot...?
xxx
With such a situation, majors at the edge of bankruptcy might see another wave of pilot furloughs.
Exactly like in November 1973... I was there in USA then, and a victim myself.
Then I lost my PanAm job in December 1991.
And dont ask me of corporate pilot jobs...
If a multi-million corporation goes down the tube, the first thing that goes is the G-IV SP and aviation department.
So... corporate pilots better be ready for rough waters. The company jet will go first.
Then nobody will want to become pilot... so here we go with the instructor jobs, and flight schools.
xxx
I am happy to be far away down in my very "Deep South"...
With my devaluated Peso-Monopoly currency, I only spend 25% of my income for housing.
I eat great food, our cows do not need to visit psychiatric institutions.
And my bottle of wine is at a fraction of the price of California or French wines.
And my 1991 little Peugeot 205 will not be stolen, nor seized by the banks...
My medical insurance is basically free, and no charge for university education for my kids.
I have a nice house in Buenos Aires, and a little beach house in Brazil.
And every summer, I practice at being bikini inspector. Soon will be full-time job.
So, why always ask for "how do I get a US Visa to become an airline pilot...?"
The answer remains, NO, or NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE.
Try in the French language forum maybe, or the Spanish one, I will translate.
xxx
:ugh:
Happy contrails

Kenny
1st Mar 2008, 13:59
Good post BelArg,

Why anyone would want to come to the US to fly at the moment is beyond me; The dollar is in the cr@pper, there's merger fever (someone always ends up getting screwed) and open skies is coming. No US carrier is going to be able to compete with pretty much any foreign carrier when it comes to service. Also, there really isn't much appeal in flying a clapped out DC9 for $30/hr at NWA or risking a medical problem without medical benefits within the first 6 months at CAL.

Added to which there is the very real risk that McCain may very well be the next president and no matter which way you slice it, that is going to be very bad for labor and pilots in particular.

I'm counting down the days before I can escape for the sake of my career.

MungoP
1st Mar 2008, 14:55
Excellent BelArgUSA... the definative post... maybe the mods could sticky it and add an addendum that any change in the current state of affairs will be posted.

(and yes.. Why the interest in coming to the US.. I would earn exactly twice the money I'm getting if I flew the same exec jet in Europe on my JAA licence.. and have the whole of Europe to play with... the things we do for our ladies ..:hmm: )

DesiPilot
1st Mar 2008, 15:40
BelArgUSA,

As always enjoyed reading your post yet again. They are full of knowledge, intuitive, to the point and very truthful.

Yes, I was in USA as well, that too for 10 years, worked 9 years as in instructor. I do hold FAA, JAA and Indian DGCA licence and finally flew CRJ in USA. So due to lack of proper paper work (I was authorised only to work as an instructor) it took me 9 years to see the inside of a CRJ. Begining of 2006 I moved back to India and within 2 years I am flying left seat of A320. I always thought grass was greener on the other side of atlantic where the grass turned green on my side of Indian Ocean.

So, to sum up BelArgUSA's post, no company in the USA will issue a work authorisation for pilots job (I was offered one because I held both FAA and JAA FI ratings and I was also an JAA FE). So if you want to work in the USA as a pilot you better find yourself an American wife/husband.

easy-e
7th Mar 2008, 20:43
Hello all,

Your comments re USA & TN visa not having pilots on the list were a nice cold shower as I've been waiting to hear back from what initially appeared to be the dream set-up...if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

That said, I am on the cusp of taking advantage of the best hiring scene perhaps in history, just not in North America. Any tips on what it takes legally/license-wise in Chile, India, Africa, Caribbean or elsewhere?

I'm 47, with a decade of management experience @ a major intl airline, along with 5 years cabin crew behind me...I know I've got great life experience and maturity to offer the right company, it's just a question of awareness & networking.

Cheers & thanks!
e