PDA

View Full Version : My concerns...

Crescentpirate
25th Feb 2008, 17:16
I have a few questions i need answering to put my mind at ease on the topic of pilot training.

My qualifications are not exactly the best, i have 5 gcses grade C including my double science...however i am resitting maths and english and so far things are going well. However i decided to go down the vocational route instead of academic and joined a course called "diploma in public services" (Equivilent to 3 A levels A-B grade if you pass with all distinctions). My question is that are "Equivilents" frowned upon? Would i apply to the piloting career and have the door slammed in my face because i dont have A levels but equivilents? I do plan to go to university to gain a degree in something, but will those grades let me down?

Thanks for your help.:)

Random75
25th Feb 2008, 20:21
I payed for myself to go through my flight training and have GCSEs at c's and b's and an advanced GNVQ. I have worked for a couple of airlines and they have never asked me to produce my educational qualifications. I suppose it depends if you are looking to go through somewhere like CTC or battling the self sponsored route...
CTC is competative so maybe its an idea to study the subjects that would give you the best chance... One of my GCSE "C" grades was in english as you can probably guess from my spelling!!!

All the best

CAT3C AUTOLAND
26th Feb 2008, 07:37
Don't worry about that at all mate. I didn't do too well at school, mainly because I didnt grow up until I was about 16, and not having brilliant GCSE results is not a problem.

As long as you have the licence for the job and the experience the airline requires and you are what they are looking for you will be fine.

Good luck.

Crescentpirate
29th Feb 2008, 12:12
Thanks, by the way what is this CTC route?

99jolegg
29th Feb 2008, 12:30
CTC is an FTO that has its cadets sponsored, but it requires 2 A levels at grade C or higher.

Crescentpirate
5th Mar 2008, 14:00
Thanks for all your help.
If i somehow make it as an airline pilot, I'll remember to personally thank you ;)

Re-Heat
5th Mar 2008, 14:56
My question is that are "Equivilents" frowned upon?
Sometimes. The problem is that many are too new for employers to know about, or know what the quality of them actually is. Not to mention that they seem to change every 5 years on what is actually equivalent. On the other hand, there are enough employers who care more about you having a licence for it not to be a huge worry...so long as you are a competent and able pilot.

preduk
5th Mar 2008, 17:21
If University let you in with those grades, then I don't really see there being a huge problem with airlines.

A-Levels are good to have, but at the end of the day they don't show what your ground school marks were, if your co-ordination is good, if you can communicate in the cockpit and most importantly, if you can fly the aircraft well.

dontpressthat
5th Mar 2008, 17:31
Left school with 5 gcse's at grades D-E.
Plenty of hard work and determination and Ive got my CPL/ME/IR.
I'm not suggesting its ideal but dont let anybody tell you that you have to go to uni or have A levels to get there.

DPT

Re-Heat
5th Mar 2008, 23:26
Needless to say, don't aim low...it is not a job for slackers

Crescentpirate
11th Mar 2008, 10:48
I cannot thank you all enough for the worry you have taken away from me. I guess if i try my luck at the Frozen ATPL course, get good scores and work til i drop at this thing...i should be accepted nevertheless.

Just wondering...I currently live in the united kingdom, near Newcastle. Newcastle international airport houses a flying school but it does not hold the frozen atpl course i am looking for. does anybody who is familiar with this region of the country have an idea of where the nearest flying school is from this location that does this. Oxford flying school comes to my mind yet i am quite unsure if there is a one located nearer my location. I can drive and own my own car so it should not be too much of a problem, but the closer the better hehe.

Crescentpirate
11th Mar 2008, 10:50
You said that you got GCSE grades D-E.
Did you actually make it as an airline pilot?
If so that is fantastic! Its just i didn't do so well at school myself and thought that because of this my options were limited.

L'aviateur
11th Mar 2008, 15:08
Why not go for a trial lesson at Newcastle flying school, maybe half an hour and have a chat to some of the guys there. I'm a student there at the moment, they don't do any of the commercial ratings, but are full of knowledge and you will get a feel for the aircraft and see how you like it :)