PDA

View Full Version : Qantas "emergency" in SYD

SOPS
25th Feb 2008, 16:07
Just heard on the news here that a Qantas 747 from PER to SYD declared an emergency with fumes in the cabin prior to landing in SYD. Any deatils people?

Taildragger67
25th Feb 2008, 21:44
SMH story:

Smelly cockpit forces Qantas jet down (http://http://www.smh.com.au/news/travel/smelly-cockpit-forces-qantas-jet-down/2008/02/26/1203788288695.html)

I think the 'forces jet down' is gilding the lily somewhat...

Shazz-zaam
25th Feb 2008, 21:46
Apparently, Pilots noticed unusual smell in the cockpit and were given priority to land. No one ever owns up to farting :ok:

forgetabowdit
25th Feb 2008, 21:52
Another bloody Classic incident. Poor things, as much as I love the classic, it is getting more and more apparrent that a replacement is overdue...

QF MAINT OUTSOURCED
25th Feb 2008, 21:59
Smelly cockpit forces Qantas jet down

Email (http://www.smh.com.au/cgi-bin/common/popupEmailArticle.pl?path=/articles/2008/02/26/1203788288695.html)
Printer friendly version (http://www.smh.com.au/cgi-bin/common/popupPrintArticle.pl?path=/articles/2008/02/26/1203788288695.html)
Normal font (http://www.smh.com.au/news/travel/smelly-cockpit-forces-qantas-jet-down/2008/02/26/1203788288695.html#)
Large font (http://www.smh.com.au/news/travel/smelly-cockpit-forces-qantas-jet-down/2008/02/26/1203788288695.html#)
Edmund Tadros
February 26, 2008 - 8:34AM

Latest related coverage

Cracks found in 14 Qantas jets (http://www.smh.com.au/news/travel/cracks-found-in-14-qantas-jets/2008/02/19/1203190812849.html)
Qantas jet scare as sink leaks onto wires (http://www.smh.com.au/news/travel/qantas-jet-scare-as-sink-leaks-onto-wires/2008/01/09/1199554742706.html)
Advertisement

A Qantas jumbo jet was given priority landing clearance as it arrived in Sydney yesterday after its flight crew noticed an "odour" in the cockpit.
Qantas said flight QF566 from Perth to Sydney was given priority clearance to land last night after it "developed an odour in the cockpit" as it approached Sydney.
--------------
Do you know more? Message 0424 SMS SMH (+61 424 767 764) or email us ([email protected]) with information.
--------------
"The flight crew responded in accordance with their training and notified Sydney's air traffic control that they would require priority clearance to land," a spokesman said.
"The aircraft landed and taxied to the gate without incident and the 374 passengers disembarked normally.
"We are investigating the incident, which has been reported to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau."
The spokesman said the flight landed at 9.59pm but would not provide details of what type of odour the flight crew noticed.
He said he was checking if there had been similar incidents on other Qantas flights.
- with AAP
http://images.ads.fairfax.com.au/cui/1x1clear.gif

Skystar320
25th Feb 2008, 22:04
Another bloody Classic incident. Poor things, as much as I love the classic, it is getting more and more apparrent that a replacement is overdue...

No offence to the maintenance guys, but if they and the management took better care of the airframes and gave it what it needed they would be perfect.

There are many airlines operating 747-300's to this day with 99% dispatch

Skystar320
25th Feb 2008, 22:07
Dude, post started in the other thread......

OverRun
25th Feb 2008, 22:30
Positive comments from my wife, who was on the plane: "The cabin crew were very reassuring. None of them was under 30 and I thought that if they'd been around for that long, they must know what they are doing".

another superlame
25th Feb 2008, 23:13
Skystar there can't be that many operators flying 747-300 I think there were only about 50 built

Tempo
25th Feb 2008, 23:28
JAL still operate classics

SilverSleuth
25th Feb 2008, 23:38
Channel 7 is reporting on the news PAX were told to take the brace position just before landing ??????

Big Unit
26th Feb 2008, 00:41
No offence to the maintenance guys, but if they and the management took better care of the airframes and gave it what it needed they would be perfect.

If management back up engineering with manpower including that nasty 'T' word (training), and spare parts and the classics could still be around for another 10years. Since the start of MH, all training has basically been stopped. :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:. As long as management keep on cutting the engineering budget year after year, this will continue. We cannot do this on our own. WE NEED BACKUP FROM MANAGEMENT!

OverRun
26th Feb 2008, 01:45
Channel 7 - not so. Pax were informed that if they needed to assume the brace position, they would be told, and that the need to use the slides would be assessed immediately upon landing, but hopefully they would be able to taxi to the gate and disembark normally. Landed without needing to brace, and taxied to the gate normally.

Atlas Shrugged
26th Feb 2008, 01:48
The cabin crew were very reassuring. None of them was under 30

You sure it was Qantas? ;)

roamingwolf
26th Feb 2008, 02:44
You sure it was Qantas?
yeah mate,it was long haul cabin crew not short haul and thats why the pax were reassured and comfortable with what was going on.:oh:

Qantas says the Boeing 747, flight QF566 from Perth to Sydney, gained clearance to land early on Monday night after it "developed an odour in the cockpit on approach to Sydney".

"The flight crew responded in accordance with their training and notified Sydney air traffic control that they would require priority clearance to land," it said in a statement.

The drivers might have been thirsty and wanted a beer before the pubs closed and they went home or maybe one of them had a curry on the flight back to sydney::E

Jabawocky
26th Feb 2008, 03:04
I can see the fur flying here! :E

Skystar320
26th Feb 2008, 03:10
Skystar there can't be that many operators flying 747-300 I think there were only about 50 built

- Corsair
- JAL
- PIA
- Saudi Airlines
- Qantas
- Orient Thai
- Air Atlantic
- TAAG Angola Airlines
- Phuket Airlines

There some others I have missed especially the freighters...............

What was that? not many operating them? Humph!

GILDA6409
26th Feb 2008, 03:13
No that is not true. I was on the plane.
The pilot did not tell anyone to brace for landing.
The captain asked everyone to read again the emergency card and especially take note of the brace position.

myshoutcaptain
26th Feb 2008, 03:35
Anyone else hear the sydney taxi drivers account , from pax in his cab ... come on 6PR you can do better than that... :}

Short_Circuit
26th Feb 2008, 03:50
No offence to the maintenance guys, but if they and the management took better care of the airframes......

Please correct me if I am wrong BUT is it the 743 just out of SIN
Heavy Maintenance? :eek:

Outsorcing maintenance, pay a bowl of rice, what do you expect!:ugh:

Taildragger67
26th Feb 2008, 08:09
another superlame,

80-odd 743s were built and a few 742s had their upper decks extended (-EUD). Mechanically little different from a 742 so if you can run them, you can run a 743. It was not a totally new variant so the fact that <100 came off the line is irrelevant.

forgetabowdit,

The plan was to replace the 743 capacity with A380s but that's been held up a bit.

section 41
26th Feb 2008, 08:37
You are correct,

Rego EBY just returned from check in Singapore.
"there are no quality issues with outsourced maintenance"

Yeah right DC.

QF22
26th Feb 2008, 08:54
It only left S'pore late Sunday night, so is something wrong with it already?
After all QF LAMes certified for the work so it should be top class ?

flyitboy
26th Feb 2008, 09:15
can imagine in the new A380 when someone passes wind & creates the same smell that the pax at the rear won't know anything about it 'cause they'll be in another time zone, damn that's one huge cabin !:)

And by the time any safety message filters thru to the rear it would have changed context/meaning. IE, heard at the front during WW1 in a very long trench ...."send reinforcements where going to advance", by the time it was passed on thru hundreds of soldiers to the other end a long way away it was being said as " send 3 & 4 pence where going to the dance" !:}

F

cnic
26th Feb 2008, 09:53
Was on the casa website today and noticed that QF has had there AOC granted for only six months, either their last audit went very badly or all the problems of late are being noticed. Can anyone enlighten us.

Skystar320
26th Feb 2008, 10:28
Skystar320,

What quality company...

Sorry mate no way am I connected to that particular company

Skystar320 =

Skystar = Is what Ansett called the A320

320 = Short for AirbusA320

:D:D:D

Taildragger67
26th Feb 2008, 10:34
Skystar320,

Mate what I was referring to was that list of 743 operators which you provided on an earlier post. Most are possibly not what immediately springs to mind when one thinks of 'leading global carriers'...

My point being that most 743 operators are running second-hand, clapped-out equipment, and/or cramming them full of holiday-makers; either way, not generally mainline, premium-traffic routes.

And wasn't it Phuket Air whose ex-KLM 743 was banned from European skies?

Then again with Angola drilling for oil these days, TAAG's front-ends are probably chockers with oil execs.

No personal offence intended whatsoever.

Skystar320
26th Feb 2008, 10:39
Duley noted.

So you are mention that JAL and Saudi are not 'well known carriers'

You didn't mention that though you just asked for a list of operators..........

Taildragger67
26th Feb 2008, 10:49
Mate I've taken that bit out of my earlier post as it seemed to be causing some confusion.

My point was to highlight that most operators of 743s are not usually thought of as being amongst the leading global carriers. The exceptions to that would certainly be JAL and possibly Saudi.

However I would not put (at least on my list) Phuket, Orient Thai, TAAG or PIA in a list of 'leading' carriers. Corsair have fairly high maintenance/compliance standards but do mainly holiday charter runs so have the SLF crammed into every conceivable space. Air Atlantic do what they're told by whoever is chartering the aircraft (and I've been on a couple of Atlantic aircraft in IB colours and they were HORRIFIC flights, but that may have also had something to do with the fact that it was IB cabin crew and not just a clapped-out a/c).

So my point is, QF are among very few 'leading' carriers operating the type; most 'leading' carriers who have operated it, no longer do; so the company they keep (in terms of 743 operators) is, in the majority, less than the industry's leading lights.

Then again by numbers, JAL group probably (I'm not 100% sure) operate the most airframes so you could make an argument that by airframes operated, the company's actually pretty good.

sydney s/h
26th Feb 2008, 22:13
Roamingwolf...

"yeah mate,it was long haul cabin crew not short haul and thats why the pax were reassured and comfortable with what was going on."

Does being a knob come naturally to you?

Insecure pratt.

roamingwolf
26th Feb 2008, 22:27
come in spinner
knob,pratt :hmm:
sydney s/h,just a bit fragile are we or have you lost your sense of humour?

tail wheel
26th Feb 2008, 23:22
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Woomera/Closed-1.gif