PDA

View Full Version : Rotary to Fixed Wing

allanon1980
25th Feb 2008, 15:36
I'm just finishing off my PPL Heli and have decided to transfer to fixed for my ATPL(f) in Atlantic Air in Cork. I have approx 70hours flying time in helicopters. Will I be able to transfer any of these hours to my fixed wing training?

Whirlygig
25th Feb 2008, 16:19
Depends if you're doing modular or integrated; if integrated, then no as you're starting ab initio. However, if you're doing fixed wing modular, you'll need a PPL(A) to start and you'll be credited with 10% of your helicopter hours towards that up to a maximum of 6 hours i.e. your minimum hours requirement for the PPL(A) will be 39.

Cheers

Whirls

Adios
25th Feb 2008, 19:13
I think you'll also find in LASORS that up to 30 hours of rotary PIC can count toward the 100 hour PIC required for CPL(A) license issue. This could reduce the amount of hour building needed if you go modular. My memory is fuzzy on the details, but I know up to 30 hours counts somewhere. I just don't have LASORS handy and you can't seem to download it free anymore.

Whirlygig
25th Feb 2008, 19:15
What, you mean like here??? (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1591) :}

It's always useful to have a copy of this and refer to it each you have a question like this!!

Cheers

Whirls

r44flyer
25th Feb 2008, 19:45
As I understand it, 30 hours rotary PIC counts towards the total 200hrs required for CPL licence issue, but not the 100 PIC requirement.

allanon1980
25th Feb 2008, 21:50
Thanks guys, I will be going the modular route.

Adios
26th Feb 2008, 21:25
I got it slightly wrong above. I read LASORS section D1.2(D) today and it is as r44flyer stated. Up to 30 hours of helicopter PIC counts towards the 200 total hours needed for CPL(A) license issue. It does not count to the 100 hours PIC needed for same. Effectively, this means it counts in hour building for the 150 needed to undertake a CPL(A) course.

If Allanon1980 takes those 30 hours of rotary PIC time, plus 120 more total hours from both his PPL(A) and his hour building, he is likely to have about 70-80 hours PIC(A). His CPL and IR will get him over the 200 hours total time needed for the CPL(A), but he will still be 15-20 hours short of PIC(A) needed for license issue (assuming 10-15 solo hours while working on the PPL(A)).

This begs the question as to why the CAA allow the 30 hours rotary PIC to count in the first place? All it really does is allow one converting from H to A to start a CPL(A) flying course a bit sooner by cutting off the need for 30 hours of time building toward 150, but then forces them to do more fixed wing hour building to apply for the license.

Have I missed something, or is this what others get from LASORS?

I'm sorry if the maths make your head spin. That's usually the way it is with all things LASORS.

Adios
26th Feb 2008, 21:33
Whirls,

The link is for LASORS 2007. You wouldn't be suggesting we use an outdated bible would you? The 2008 version is not yet available for free download. It will eventually be here, but the link on this page loads the 2007 version as of this writing: http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=137&pagetype=87

Whirlygig
26th Feb 2008, 21:38
We're only 8 weeks into 2008! :} This sort of detail is unlikely to change and the free download is usually available shortly after publication of the new edition!

Adios, if this aspect of the OP's query has changed between these two editions, then please accept this post as a beer voucher!

Cheers

Whirls

wobble2plank
26th Feb 2008, 21:42
allanon1980,

Whirls is quite correct, no 'chopper' time will negate the need to have 100 hours PIC of planks. I converted a few years ago with in excess of 3500 helicopter hours and still had to top my 'fixed wing' PIC hours up as I hadn't flown fixed wing for sooooooo many years, thanks CAA. (don't you love that 'personal' assessment service!)

Might I suggest though that those hours are worthwhile as it took me a little while to get back into the fixed wing way. Pain in the neck financially however enjoy it especially if you are going into the commercial world.

r44flyer
26th Feb 2008, 21:45
It's a bit unfortunate, and annoying, but it does guarantee that any low time pilot has at least 100hours flying on their own, on a new class, building confidence and proficiency, before starting any professional course.

There are lots of aspects of solo flight which are transferrable, of course, but drawing that line isn't easy.

I'm in the same boat, and need an additional 20hours PIC (A) because of it.

allanon1980
26th Feb 2008, 22:20
yes, Im just going to look on it as a good opportunity to build up experience & confidence in fixed wing. Financially, coming from heli's, fixed wing are a lot cheaper per hour. I presume a lot of my experience from the helis ie airmanship, RT etc will make the transfer somewhat easier.

Adios
27th Feb 2008, 00:23
Whirls,

It was the 2008 hard copy I looked it up in today and no it hasn't changed. They never change the useless rules, but thanks for the gesture of a beer voucher nonetheless.

Fanstop
27th Feb 2008, 12:01
:confused:Thats confused me. I spoke to the CAA last week by phone and they said you can count up to 40hrs PIC Rotary towards the 100 Hrs PIC fixed wing. But then again like everything else, it all depends on who you speak to at the Commitee Against Aviation on what answer you get. I dont even think they understand LASORS!!!