PDA

View Full Version : FAA licence limits

Soap Box Cowboy
25th Feb 2008, 15:18
Got a couple of friends who have "limitations XIII" written on the back of their licences, can anyone shed any light as to what this applies to? :confused:

joe grind
25th Feb 2008, 16:17
, Limitations will be stated on section XIII of the certificate.

Peter Fanelli
25th Feb 2008, 16:30
Section XIII of a pilots certificate is also known as "Remarks" in other parts of the world.
"Limitations" in this case is just a heading or section title.
This is where you would find any relevant information such as a requirement to wear or carry spectacles while flying.

MarkerInbound
25th Feb 2008, 17:40
I don't think you'll see anything about glasses on the pilot certificate, that would be on the medical in the US. The old US glider rating had "aero tow only" there for people who hadn't done winch launches. A lot of the warbird pilots will have something like "N-B25 VFR only" even though they have a type rating at the ATP level for the warbird. My dispatcher ticket looks sort of blank because there is nothing under the ratings or limitations sections.

Peter Fanelli
25th Feb 2008, 17:43
You are correct there. It was always listed on the license in Australia but in the USA it's not, it's on the medical certificate as you stated.

Bus Junkie
25th Feb 2008, 18:14
This is where restrictions on circling approaches will be listed. Most (all?) US major airlines don't allow circling approaches and so don't train for them. When you get a type that maneuver isn't demonstrated so there is a limitation "no circling approaches" in a specific type. Also MEL center line thrust only would probably be there (for a rating done in the Cessna 337).

WorldDC10
4th Mar 2008, 14:08
My certificate under XIII LIMITATIONS says

cl-65 dc-10 Circ.Apch. VMC only

So we can circle to land but only under VMC not down to circling miminums. I think that most airlines do it this way in the USA.

Puffin
6th Mar 2008, 01:17
That is also where the new "English Proficient" endorsement is placed.