PDA

View Full Version : 'Life's Too Short to Cry', Tim Vigors DFC

kevmusic
25th Feb 2008, 13:54
Interesting take on life and experiences as an RAF BoB (and beyond) pilot from the POV of an Eton-educated Irish patriot. Had an Irish tricolour painted on the nose of his Spit much to Park's displeasure! Great cameos too, like being with Bob Holland as he jammed with Fats Waller in a private party at the Adelphi or poignant sessions at the Horning Ferry Inn before it was bombed.

I'm only two-thirds through, but I'm gripped!

(To mods - if you think this should go to AH&N, please feel free)

stevef
25th Feb 2008, 17:17
Looks like one for the bookshelf, cheers.
While I'm here, I'd recommend Tail-End Charlies for a sobering history of 1944-1945 bomber aircrew. It's co-authored by Tony Rennell and John Nichol*.

*Can't stand his novels though.

Samuel
25th Feb 2008, 19:17
1 "From North Africa to the Arakan: The Engrossing Memoir of WWII Spitfire Ace Alan McGregor Peart DFC, RNZAF"
Alan Peart; Hardcover;

You might want to look out for this book too, on order from Amazon.

I happen to know Alan Peart, and he's a very unassuming guy, but fascinating to chat with. A truly nice guy who still manages to look like a fighter pilot even today!

polecat2
25th Feb 2008, 21:38
I'd like to recommend "Gunning For The Enemy" by Mel Rolfe (Grub Street).

It's the biography of Wallace Mackintosh, a young Scot who joined the wartime RAF as an AC2 general assistant to escape grinding poverty and finished the war as Bomber Command's 'Ace', having shot down eight enemy fighters while flying as a Lancaster gunner during two tours with 207 Sqn.

He passed away last year and his obituary appeared in the Daily Telegraph.

An inspiring read.

Polecat

Pure Pursuit
25th Feb 2008, 21:53
First Light - Geoffrey Wellum.

Quite simply, this is the most honest, touching and griping BoB autobiography I have read to date.

NickB
26th Feb 2008, 11:43
I'm reading this as well at the moment - thoroughly enjoying it! Love the bit about climbing up the parachute!

It feels very much like 'First Light' - another fantastic read.

PPRuNeUser0139
26th Feb 2008, 13:44
This is one I've read and re-read..
Well worth hunting down.

sv

musclemech
26th Feb 2008, 18:41
I have read, and enjoyed, almost all of the above but my absolute favourite is Fly For Your Life by Larry Forrester which is the story of Bob Stanford Tuck. A real Boy's Own story from Merchant Navy to BoB, Spitfires to Hurricanes, POW and escape....

MM

Variable Trim
26th Feb 2008, 18:49
I'd like to recommend Winged Victory by VM Yeates - it's a novel but based on his experiences during WWI - absolutely gripping tale, recently re-printed (2006 ?) so must be worth it. Much better than Biggles and far more poignant. The original had a foreword by Henry Williamson - unfortunately not reproduced in the latest re-print.

VT

Pure Pursuit
26th Feb 2008, 19:26
This thread is costing me a fortune on Amazon!

kevmusic
27th Feb 2008, 23:21
Agree about 'First Light' and 'Fly For Your Life' - stunning reading, both of them.

As for the others, I'll have to follow you to Amazon, Pure Pursuit!