View Full Version : A/P rated w CPL IR ME can perform a test flight of 747-400/A340-300 with a rated ATPL

dj_lethal
25th Feb 2008, 13:12
after C check or D check of the aircraft?

aircraft mechanics only can perform run-up and taxi if they have a run-up rating...(but not to airborne the aircraft)

can i ask..

if a employed A/P mechanic with CPL IR ME holder in a small aircraft can possibly perform a test flight in a narrow body or wide body aircraft? together with a ATPL pilot?(act as a PIC FO or SIC)

what is the general rules and regulation for these..?
and what is the limitation between A/P license and CPL IR ME.?
(ICAO, FAA,)

if ratings is required...

GECAT or ALTEON would be a good training ground to get my ratings??

and...

could possibly a aircraft mechanic will be a PIC of widebody aircraft even if he/she is only a CPL holder??

thanks.:)

Genghis the Engineer
25th Feb 2008, 18:40
I suspect that the answer, if it's possible, is in the individual company's procedures.

But, without a type rating on his/her CPL, surely said mech could only be an observer assisting the suitably qualified captain.

Is not a full ATPL (implying 500+ hours of multi-crew time, et al.) required to fly PiC of a multi-crew jet? Plus, of-course, the type rating again.

Certainly when I've flown in and/or handled larger aircraft than my licences cover to assist with/manage a flight test, it went in the "other flying" column of my logbook as "Flight Test Observer" and I was in no doubt that I wasn't the Captain - nor, legally speaking, on board as a pilot.

G

(Only really familiar with UK/JAR regs, no idea how FAA stands on this, but would suspect it's pretty similar).

dj_lethal
26th Feb 2008, 11:30
thanks a lot.....

little bit confused about this kind of rule...

it means that i can possbily fly a 747-400 or A340-300...

if i have a "rating" on this type of aircraft...

mutt
27th Feb 2008, 19:33
FAA system doesnt have first officer type ratings, therefore as long as you satisfy the requirements of FAR91, you could get away with it.

Mutt

BelArgUSA
1st Mar 2008, 00:17
Come on, dj lethal...
xxx
The airlines always fly their airplanes, flight test or not, with fully qualified and current flight crews. When an airplane out of a C or D check needs to be tested, an appropriately "qualified crew" will perform the flight, and probably will schedule such crews a few days in advance...
xxx
Do not expect a maintenance manager going through the hangar, yelling "Is there anyone here with a pilot licence to sit in the RH seat, to make a flight test of this airplane...?" -
xxx
Even our mechanics (ground engineers) who are "taxi qualified", are properly trained and qualified to perform ground tests, with specific "type qualifications"... I have had to occasionally train a few of these guys to perform engine run-ups and ground/taxi checks on 747-200s. Even a "towed airplane" must have a properly qualified mechanic to "ride the brakes - in case" for ground movement on the ramps and taxiways.
xxx
And when I am in the office, picking my nose, nobody from the engineering department comes to me and says "hey, could you do an engine run-up of a Airboos A-340 if you have nothing else to do this evening...?" - I haven't got a clue as to what to do about taxiing, brakes and engine malfunctions in these contraptions they call "airplanes" in some countries.
xxx
Ask me to taxi a 707, a 727 or a Diesel-8 in which I have not been flying since the last century, I might still say ok... and even do it properly and safely... but as to doing it in the "Too-Loose Junk" - NO Seņor...
xxx
At my airline, we do not crash our airplanes in maintenance areas, taxiway ditches or blast fences, like it is often practiced by our competitors of the first world. Sorry, we spique Spaniche heere, butt we ar notte eediotes.
xxx
:ugh:
Happy contrails

SNS3Guppy
2nd Mar 2008, 19:56
FAA system doesnt have first officer type ratings, therefore as long as you satisfy the requirements of FAR91, you could get away with it.

The FAA issues fully type ratings, and second-in-command-only type ratings, or in other words, type ratings with PIC or SIC-only privileges.

So far as a mechanic under FAA certification, no rating is required to taxi or runup an airplane. Individual companies may issue privileges to taxi or run up an airplane, but these are not regulatory nor of consequence to the FAA.

A commercial pilot, or the holder of a commercial pilot certificate, may obtain a type rating on that certificate. So may a private pilot.

I suspect the original poster is asking if he can obtain privileges of flying an B747 or other large transport category airplane with minimal flight qualifications. Legally, yes. However, the opportunity to do so will be extremely limited at best, and for the most part, non-existant.

BelArgUSA
3rd Mar 2008, 08:46
The "bare minimum" qualifications to occupy the RH seat of a large aircraft or a jet, under FAA regulations, can be read in FAR 61.55 - for non commercial/airline operations. This applies to a DC-3, or a 747, and anything "in between"...
xxx
:)
Happy contrails