PDA

View Full Version : "A" Licence holder-what can they do?

G-HALE
25th Feb 2008, 13:12
Im studying for a degree in aero engineering at the moment and am also completing my "A" licence JAR part 66 exams because my college is part-145 approved.
As I will have the exams done to work on piston/turbine planes and helis, what exactly can i fix on these aircraft and will i be allowed sign them off for service??

cheers for advice:ok:

Rigga
25th Feb 2008, 17:09
Go to EASA Acceptable Means of Compliance (AMC) for 2042/2003

"AMC 145.A.30 (g) Personnel requirements"

This only lists for fixed-wing aircraft because, according to EASA, smaller aircraft don't exist yet!

Therefore is is hard to remove wheels, water boilers and coffee brewers from an Jet Ranger or even to replenish the toilets.....

"Category A for the purpose of the category A issuing an aircraft certificate of release
to service as specified in 145.A.50 as part of minor scheduled line maintenance or
simple defect rectification are contained in the following list:
a. Replacement of wheel assemblies.
b. Replacement of wheel brake units.
c. Replacement of emergency equipment .
d. Replacement of ovens, boilers and beverage makers.
e. Replacement of internal and external lights, filaments and flash tubes.
f. Replacement of windscreen wiper blades.
g. Replacement of passenger and cabin crew seats, seat belts and harnesses.
h. Closing of cowlings and refitment of quick access inspection panels.
i. Replacement of toilet system components but excluding gate valves.
j. Simple repairs and replacement of internal compartment doors and placards
but excluding doors forming part of a pressure structure.
k. Simple repairs and replacement of overhead storage compartment doors and
cabin furnishing items.
l. Replacement of static wicks.
m. Replacement of aircraft main and APU aircraft batteries.
n. Replacement of inflight entertainment system components but excluding
public address.
o. Routine lubrication and replenishment of all system fluids and gases.
p. The de-activation only of sub-systems and aircraft components as permitted by
the operator's minimum equipment list where such de-activation is agreed by the
competent authority as a simple task.
q. Replacement of any other component as agreed by the Agency for a particular
aircraft type only where it is agreed that the task is simple.
NOTE: This list will be periodically updated in the light of ongoing experience
and technological changes."

Enjoy!

spannersatcx
25th Feb 2008, 17:50
You can fix anything, you can sign for nothing. :eek:

A licence in itself gives you no certification priviledges whatsoever. You need to complete an EASA 147 approved course and get the necessary type on your licence and then company approval before you can sign for anything.

G-HALE
25th Feb 2008, 17:57
Thanks for the info, great help.

So how can i fix light aircraft???? I taught i could do this with an a licence...

JSaeroengineer
25th Feb 2008, 18:06
Also, what about Powerplants, when working on heavy stuff?. Can you not go near them without a B.1?
:confused:

Rigga
25th Feb 2008, 20:22
A Cat A Licence is titled "Line Maintenance Certifying Mechanic".
This means you can carry out "Line Maintenance" as specifically trained for the above tasks - Other tasks may be added in the future. This does not cover scheduled mainteance work.
You are only allowed to complete, and sign for, the work you have been trained to do but nothing else - and you can't sign off anyone else's work.

For all other items (such as defects or scheduled maintenance) you can assist in the task but you cannot sign it off (except to claim your manhours - in the "Mechanic" Column) Your Signature counts for nothing and you (technically) have no responsibility for the work undertaken.

You are a task trained spanner monkey.

On the up-side; You will then have access to work areas where you may be able to claim experience towards your future B licence - if that is the way you want to go?

Hope this helps.

Rigga

PhilM
26th Feb 2008, 22:39
Ok, so you've been trained and hold approvals for A-P on an aircraft type.

Now, P: p. The de-activation only of sub-systems and aircraft components as permitted by
the operator's minimum equipment list where such de-activation is agreed by the
competent authority as a simple task.

How do you/your quality dept interpret this simple task business?

Ours has stated that this means you can defer anything IAW the MEL as long as there is "no maintenance action" specified in the MEL (ie, collaring CBs is ok, anything else is not!)

Rigga
29th Feb 2008, 21:15
In an effort to get some movement in this list - 7 months ago I sent my local CAA office a list of how my company interprets this list with regard to helicopters and their variety of role equipment.

To date I have not had any acknowledgement or reply!

I have no doubt that, at some point in the far distant future, they will complain that our mechanics are doing things they shouldn't.

Engineer
1st Mar 2008, 20:41
Have you looked at section C of the ELGD which can be viewed at the UKCAA website.