PDA

View Full Version : memory upgrade goes wrong

windy1
24th Feb 2008, 20:57
Toshiba Satellite Pro A100 Laptop purchased 2006 with 1Gb RAM. Has 2 slots each fitted 512Mb SODIMM module. Removed and replaced with 2 x 1Gb new Kingston modules from ebuyer. Booted up, screen came alive, egg timer appears then screen goes blank and all indicators die. Only sign of life is fan running, or maybe hard drive but impossible to tell as all the lights are out.

Stuck old RAM back in and pc is Ok again. Questions:

1 Was this a RAM failure?
2 How likely is it they were both duff? - If one module failed, shouldn't the good one still allow the pc to function?
3 There is a seal on the packing "warranty void if seal broken". Where does that leave me with (a) ebuyer and (b) kingston.
4 Is there a way to test these modules other than by suck-and-see in a known good pc? Is that risky to the pc?

Le Pen
24th Feb 2008, 21:02
Hi Windy1 (sounds a bit like my wife)

Have you tried one new sodimm at a time? Had almost the exact problem. So rebooted with 1Gb then added the second and rebooted again.

Worked for me!

Cheers

LP

Saab Dastard
24th Feb 2008, 21:17
Testing can be done with Memtest, or similar. Assuming that you can get them to work one at a time, as per previous post.

Unlikely to get 2 failures - too much coincidence.

I have had motherboard problems where 2 x 1GB modules were supposed to be supported (as per manual), but actually weren't - admitted on Asus support forum. Worked fine on their own, just not together. Asus couldn't give a sh1t.

SD

92Alpha
24th Feb 2008, 21:25
Have the same laptop bought about the same year. I upgraded to 2gig of ram but hadn't seated the RAM properly in one of the slots, and the laptop didn't boot properly, it beeped at me once then sat there.
It is kind of fiddley putting the RAM in so I would look to see if you have seated them correctly. I thought I had, I even had got them to go flat and click into the retainer but they had not interfaced with their connectors correctly.

Wader2
25th Feb 2008, 11:55
Windy, it is conceivable that the memory cards are incompatible.

I tried a Kingston upgrade to an Advent laptop. Kingston kindly refunded and admitted a probable incompatibility. Contacted Advent, paid bucks more, memory worked.

Next laptop contacted Crucial, their website directed me to the proper RAM. Bought it, fitted and it didn't work. Went to their website, followed the FAQ. Worked a treat. All without any human contact at all. Great service.

Try the Kingston FAQ or Help Line.

frostbite
25th Feb 2008, 14:33
I upgraded the memory on a friend's computer some time ago.

Recall that it wouldn't function until I went into BIOS and turned OS Install to OFF.

Don't know if that applies here.

Brakes on
26th Feb 2008, 15:50
Windy,
I had a similar problem with my Dell a while ago. Problem was, that Dell apparently only take a sort of 'special' RAM. The crucial people provide a check on their website, giving you the exact RAM model etc, which fits your computer. Try them and see if they can help.
Regards,
Brakes