PDA

View Full Version : Will a USA FTO on the CV Hinder Employment?

mustflywillfly
24th Feb 2008, 18:14
Evening All,

Due to finances I have the following training plan:

Hour Build (50hrs) and CPL at Ormond Beach Aviation
FI (R) at Bournemouth Commercial Flying Training (BCFT)
IR at BCFT (after a year of Instructing, hopefully at BCFT)

My worry is the CPL and Hour Build in the USA.

Although it is cheaper does training in the USA severley hinder chances of employment?

At a stretch I could do all the training in the UK but would have no room for any extra hours.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks

:ok:MFWF

Mercenary Pilot
24th Feb 2008, 18:29
Although it is cheaper does training in the USA severley hinder chances of employment?

No.

Especially considering that you are planning to do your IR in the UK anyway. Trying to pass in minimum hours is putting yourself under a lot of pressure, everyone goes over even if its only an hour or two.

bigmustard
24th Feb 2008, 22:44
MFWF
I thought your extensive military background and knowledge would see you direct entry onto a big jet (because airlines just love ex military types!!) Can you not find such an airline to pay for all your training? :}

NickGooseBrady
25th Feb 2008, 11:41
MFWF

I wouldn't worry about attending a school in the states for the CPL. Plenty have done it and found employment.

BCFT do have a good reputation though and if you could stretch yourself then you are placing yourself a little higher on the ladder.

No idea what Big Mustard's drivvle is about but I would say he has just got back from the pub and displaying classic aggressive drunk type behaviour (either that or he is just a nob). Either way let's keep this thread useful? I am sure that there are many other people who ponder whether the States is a sensible option or not.

Bon Chance!

NGB

ElSupremo
25th Feb 2008, 23:48
I hope US/Canadian training doesn't hinder employment chances as I'm too tempted to do my training in either the USA or Canada.

I've been given the names of a few schools in the US and Canada which offer the correct training i.e. OBA (Omond Beach Aviation), OFT (Orlando Flight Training in Florida) and MFC (Moncton Flight Training in Canada) which all apparently offer training for less than £30k. However, if I did my training entirely to US/Canadian standards (FAA instead of JAR is it?) and got a job over there how much cheaper would it be? What would be the cheapest option either way (i.e. USA/Canadian v UK/Euro)? Essentially, what is the lowest amount that one can become a pilot either in the UK or USA/Canada? Is less than £20k achievable?

Sorry if none of that makes sense... I'm rather new to the technicalities.

Edit - I've just found out that OFT will do it for about £20k and OBA for about £27k. Sounds like a great deal as compared to UK based schools?!

Is there a website which lists the prices of flight school's courses (i.e. fATPL) anywhere? Looking at each school individually is driving me insane!

Polorutz
26th Feb 2008, 07:05
You can do JAR Licenses in the US in several flightschools, the only license you can't do is the IR and that's just because the test needs to be done in european airspace.

Fair_Weather_Flyer
26th Feb 2008, 13:16
There are still those in the UK aviation industry that don't like pilots to be US trained. I trained and worked in the US myself and the training was fine. However, I have found various instructors, recruiters, simulator trainers and line training captains who hold very negative opinions of US trained pilots. Most are not like this as many were trained abroad themselves but......

So, if you can afford it train in the UK.

VNA Lotus
26th Feb 2008, 13:37
pprune forum

Hufty
28th Feb 2008, 10:18
I can't imagine why it would make a difference - it is the same JAA syllabus taught by a JAA instructor and examined by a JAA examiner to the same JAA standards. The only difference is that you'll be doing it in an N-reg aeroplane and you won't spend weeks sitting on the ground in the flying school, drinking coffee from a machine and watching horizontal rain batter against the window. Caution though, there was a thread a while ago about FlyBe - they seem to want you to have done everything at one or two schools for some reason but I don't know if this is real or if it is, if it is still true.

I did all my ratings, licences and hour building at different schools both in the US and the UK (apart from the IR and Multi which I did together) and nobody passed comment. When I applied for jobs they were mainly interested in how current I was and if I had passed my skills tests first time or not.

I would be careful choosing your school though - there are good and bad schools in the US as well as the UK so you really need to go there and talk to the students before you commit any money. A short holiday visiting some of these places might well pay dividends and save you a fortune in the long run. A good search on this site will also be invaluable.

Good luck with your training!

bfisk
28th Feb 2008, 12:17
If you pull in the yoke, you go up, if you pull too much, you go back down again. Same thing applies here and in the US. (I hope... I've done all my training and FIing in the US, never been in a cockpit in Europe yet).

Does it really matter?:bored: