PDA

View Full Version : Financing ATPL training..... after college

F/O UFO
24th Feb 2008, 10:33
Before everyone tells me to do a search, I have...

Basically is there any hope of me getting sponsored (either wholely or partially) after compleating A levels next year? Or must I have a degree?
Also could somebody please explain to me how much sponsoring airlines typically pay and what kind of qualifications/ attributes to they seek?

Thanks for the help :)

Adios
24th Feb 2008, 10:52
If you browse the forum just under this one, titled, "Interviews, Jobs and Sponsorships," you might have better luck finding the relevant threads.

You won't need a degree to apply for sponsorship, but you will most likely need A-levels in maths and physics or science.

You may also discover that most cadet programmes don't include scholarship anymore, just an upfront job offer.

There have been cadet programmes at the following FTOs in recent years: Atlantic Flight Training, Sigmar Aviation, Oxford Aviation Academy, CTC, FTE and Cabair. You might look at their web sites as well. The list is not exhaustive; there may be others.

F/O UFO
24th Feb 2008, 10:56
Thanks adios- I'm currently doing A-levels in Maths, Physics, Geography and Economics. Has anybody had experience trying to go from college into training age 18? Does anybody want to take 18 year olds?

preduk
24th Feb 2008, 13:49
Age doesn't really matter to these courses, the only disadvantage I would imagine is that you lack the experience that an older person may have in interviews and other amplitutde tests.

Scholarship from airlines are almost all gone, with more and more airlines going down the low cost route it's something they no longer need to do in order to get pilots...

Most integrated courses (FTE, OAT, Cabair) require a loan of around £50-80k for all living expenses plus training, where as with modular you could work and train at the sometime...

F/O UFO
11th Mar 2008, 20:57
Just thought I would revive my thread...

I'm now fairly sure I will go into ATPL training straight after college and I would love to hear about anyone else who has done this.

If say I was to go for the Oxford Aviation training scheme would it be a simple case of attaining a loan from HSBC (or is it slightly more complicated than this). Also- do people tend to affilate them selves with airlines before they start training to provide the bank some gaurentee they will get their money back?

thanks

forest2807
12th Mar 2008, 13:16
f/o ufof - 'obtaining a loan from HSBC' - the ease of this depends on your circumstances. I'm 34 and could really do with going on an integrated course due to my age. I went to the recent seminar at OAA/OAT and asked about this loan. It won't work for me because:

1. In order to secure the loan you need a property.
2. I have a property but there is insufficient equity in the value against which to secure the loan.
3. I have debts which need to be paid before I embark on an integrated course (during which time I will have no monthly income and therefore unable to pay mortgage,credit card bills, etc.). The obvious answer is sell my house, but that brings us back to point 1 - no property, no loan!
4. Renting out my property for the duration of my training will not raise enough monthly income to cover the mortgage repayments.

I think the HSBC loan is a great idea if you (or well off parents/relatives) are willing to secure it against their property. It just doesn't work for everyone. That's why I am taking the modular route - no other choice!

F/O UFO
12th Mar 2008, 14:19
Cheers forest.

Is it advisable me applying to certain sponsorships (eg the flybe sponsorship) this early on? If not, when should I start applying?