PDA

View Full Version : Small Children on the Flight Deck

llondel
23rd Feb 2008, 21:08
Now I'm awake and mostly over my post-travel cold, I'd just like to say thanks to the crew of the CRJ900 that took us from SLC to SFO last week. We got delayed on the ground at SLC due to WX at SFO and my 6-yr-old son got to sit in the front and ask questions about all the instruments for ten minutes or so. Then we suddenly got a 15-minute clearance (despite expecting to be there for at least another 45) so I hauled him out quick.

In the post-9/11 era, this is as close as kids can get to the fun I know I used to have when allowed to look up-front during flights so it's good that there's still occasionally time to give them some chance. Normally it's all about getting ready for the next sector, then make sure the door is closed before pushback so I guess the delays helped. And we comfortably made our connecting flight back to the UK.

TightSlot
23rd Feb 2008, 21:36
As far as I'm aware, no rules broken - so you can safely name the carrier should you wish...
;)

JEM60
24th Feb 2008, 06:51
Same thing happened to me in Chicago O'Hare four years ago on United Airlines airbus. Spent a most interesting hour on the flight deck with the Capt and FO. Would have missed our connection in Newark were it not for the Captain leaving the flight deck four times to arrange a direct flight to London the same evening. BRILLIANT customer service!!! Interestingly, the FO didn't like the Airbus. Said it was VERY boring compared to the 737 he used to fly.

llondel
24th Feb 2008, 18:07
It was Delta. We weren't even supposed to be on a 900, they changed it from a 700.

bealine
24th Feb 2008, 18:37
It is really sad! Before 09/11/01, it was a regular treat for children (and mums and dads) to visit the Flight Deck during the flight. The views from the pilots' office were wonderful, and the ability of school-age children to compare the moving map image with the topographical details below probably did wonders for their grasp of geography!

I recall that Flight Deck visits were nearly always offered to our Unaccompanied Minors too!

Nowadays, many pilots will allow a visit once the aircraft is safely parked with its engines shut down which is a nice touch, given the strict procedures the authorities have imposed upon airlines!

Pandora
24th Feb 2008, 21:26
It was often a treat for the pilots too! Very funny hearing the 5 year old son of the captain on his first ever time in the cockpit asking 'Dad, how do you remember what all these switches do given how awful your memory is?' :D

TheGorrilla
24th Feb 2008, 23:39
Great! I sometimes doubt if I would have gone to the airlines if it weren't for a few jump seat rides I was lucky enough to have as a youngster (in my teens). Certainly gave me something to aim for in life when studying all sorts of boring nonsensence at school. Sadly I suspect the industry has lost a potentially good pilot or two as a result of the stupid security rules.

Shame.