PDA

View Full Version : Can Anyone Sign a Symbian Certificate For Me?

BRL
23rd Feb 2008, 14:34
I can't register at the sign up at Symbiansigned so could you sign a certificate for me please?

Cheers.

mdc
23rd Feb 2008, 15:18
I would have done but it seems my account has expired and I can't reactivate :-(

Another St Ivian
23rd Feb 2008, 15:45
Service was a bit patchy the other day, but I should think I can help you.

dazdaz
23rd Feb 2008, 15:49
Just had to ask.....What's a 'Symbian Cert'?:confused:

Daz

Another St Ivian
23rd Feb 2008, 16:31
Symbian is an operating system which runs on mobile phones, most notably the Nokia series.

If you want to install a program on one it has to be signed, or in other words, verified and stamped with a seal of approval if you like.

BRL
23rd Feb 2008, 18:11
Service was a bit patchy the other day, but I should think I can help you.

Thank You. Do you want my IMEI and what programme it is?

Dazdaz, I have downloaded a prog for my Nokia N95 but it won't work unless the certificate is signed and you can only do that if you are registered etc etc..... I can't get past registration as it keeps rejecting my password.... :ugh:

Keygrip
23rd Feb 2008, 18:39
Thought symbian was either something to do with gorillas, or that the item was similar to a lion.

Guess not.

mdc
23rd Feb 2008, 19:50
I hope this is a legit piece of software such as FExplorer and not a piece of cracked software which needs signing to be installed.

Another St Ivian
23rd Feb 2008, 22:05
I've PM'ed you, BRL.

MDC: I'd very much doubt it. There's quite a few handy widgets for the N95 which are released unsigned until they get taken on by someone who can sign it for general release.

A good example is a program called RotateMe. It uses the N95's accelerometer to do a iPhone-a-like rotating screen function.

BRL
24th Feb 2008, 04:30
I hope this is a legit piece of software such as FExplorer and not a piece of cracked software which needs signing to be installed.

See the answer above as this is the exact bit of software that I have and needs signing.......

ZH875
24th Feb 2008, 11:33
From Page 112 of the N95 user guide (Available on Here (http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4388425)):

look Under Tools - Application Manager

Settings

Select Options > Settings and from the following:
Software installation—Select whether Symbian software
that has no verified digital signature can be installed.

I installed FExplorer on N70 without any problems, just remember to reset back to "certificate required" afterwards as an extra precaution agains Malware.

BRL
24th Feb 2008, 12:23
Hi. Just had a look at what you suggested.

When I get to Software Installation, it gives me the options "All" or "Signed Only".

No mention about Symbian stuff......

mdc
24th Feb 2008, 14:51
The N70 is an older SymbianOS 8.x device. The security application security model was overhauled in SymbianOS 9.x and requires applications to be signed (placed in trusted security domains) before being able to access certain protected device functionality/api's.

Thats why apps like FExplorer I previously mentioned and RotateMe require signing to be installed on SymbianOS 9.x devices such as the N95, E series etc.

ZH875
24th Feb 2008, 17:09
Hi. Just had a look at what you suggested.

When I get to Software Installation, it gives me the options "All" or "Signed Only".

No mention about Symbian stuff......

In that case, select ALL and give it a go.

BRL
24th Feb 2008, 17:54
Just tried that but no joy :{

I have though just tried the sign-up using IE instead of Opera and it worked!!

I did follow the instructions by the book as to signing but I have to try again tomorrow as I had 'tried too many times today' to get a certificate.

I think that must be due to the guy on here helping me out this morning as he got error messages whilst trying to sign mine earlier!!! :)

Hopefully it should be resolved soon!

Thanks for all your help and advice.. :)