PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Player as default

Doobs
22nd Feb 2008, 12:58
When I play some MPEGS on my laptop, some open up on WMP and some on Quicktime Viewer. I want all MPEGS to open up in WMP. I thought I had WMP as my default but something is not going to plan. I need Quicktime Viewer for my iTunes programme so cant delete that.
Any advice would be good but please make it simple as I am a computer biff.

Doobs

Hyph
22nd Feb 2008, 13:24
Are all the file name extensions the same? MPEGs can come with a wide range of extensions, such as:

.mpeg
.mpe
.mpg
.m1v
and so on

It is possible that not all of these extensions have been associated with Windows Media Player.

In Media Player, go to Now Playing, More Options, then select the File Type tab. Look for

Movie File (mpeg)

Is the tick box grey or white? If it is grey, some file extensions are associated with other applications (such as QuickTime). Un-click it, then click it again (it will be white this time) and click on "Apply".

Does that fix it?

hellsbrink
22nd Feb 2008, 14:57
Doobs

I have no idea if this will work properly or not (only done a search and found this), but it COULD mean you can ditch QT

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm

twiggs
22nd Feb 2008, 23:15
For all the files that don't open in WMP, right click the file>open with...>Windows Media Player.
If "open with..." is not an option in the right click menu, hold shift as you right click, and it should be there.
Make sure you tick the box "Always use this program to open this kind of file"

Doobs
25th Feb 2008, 10:08
Thanks for all your help.
I will try all your suggestions tonight.

Doobs