PDA

View Full Version : Is there an alternative to Adobe Illustrator??

tired-flyboy
22nd Feb 2008, 11:55
does anyone know of anything as good as the above? (preferably freeware!)

trying to create some image graphics for a website, but don't want to shell out too much money in case I'm :mad: at it.

Thanks in advance

Spitoon
23rd Feb 2008, 21:17
CorelDRAW -better in my view, but maybe that's just because I'm more familiar with it.

You sometimes find old versions on magazine discs or you can download a trial (15 days I think) that will give you a chance to try it before shelling out.

There are cheaper 'clones' - Serif do one called, I think, Draw Plus. I haven't looked at it recently but tried it several years back and although it seemed potentially capable of doing the same as CorelDRAW it was very unstable.

Bushfiva
23rd Feb 2008, 23:51
Gimp is free and hairy, Paint.NET is free and simple.

green granite
24th Feb 2008, 07:14
Gimp is free and hairy

Gimp is a very, very, good Photoshop substitute, the interface is a bit quirky but once you get used to it it's fine.

There is "Draw" in the "open office" suite, which is free.

tired-flyboy
24th Feb 2008, 11:08
Thanks for the replies,

think i'll give gimp a try.

mdc
24th Feb 2008, 11:35
Since you mentioned illustrator I assume you're after a vector based drawing package. If that's the case take a look at Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org/)

Dick Fisher
27th Feb 2008, 18:17
IMHO, you won't get much better than the Xara range of products.

I've used them for fifteen years (or more) and have found them to be the most useful graphics tool for vector drawing and creating beautiful (and small) bitmaps in a wide range of formats. Far better than CorelDraw and you can try before you buy. The website is at www.xara.com.

No other interest other than a satisfied user.