PDA

View Full Version : how to get 6 pack abs?

mplawssix
22nd Feb 2008, 00:02
Can you recommend some courses for building 6 pack abs? I'm a novice weightlifter and want to find as much info as possible.

troppo
22nd Feb 2008, 08:01
Bah! Six packs are for mere amateurs! I have a mark 1 fiji bitter keg and it fits perfectly into the small of any woman's back!

22nd Feb 2008, 09:06
Hmmm. The first place I'd go to if I wanted a 6-pack would be pprune!

Why not google it ?

One suggestion would be: starvation . . .;)

A10Warthog
22nd Feb 2008, 09:20
Why not try fitness forums or something like that ! Workout forums etc.
haha, what an onion !!! :D

pythagoras
22nd Feb 2008, 11:37
don't eat the crew food

petedavis
22nd Feb 2008, 13:07
crunches, cardio, crunches, cardio, crunches, cardio

Keep repeating until you're there

petedavis
22nd Feb 2008, 13:09
p.s. if you don't get the results you want, start doing weighted crunches

poss
22nd Feb 2008, 15:36
If the above options fail.....
I'd say draw them on with a marker pen :-)

kwachon
22nd Feb 2008, 15:38
Tie some butchers string round your stomach six times...:8

gingernut
22nd Feb 2008, 16:23
Ripped on Tuna=6 pack abs

Ripped on Boddingtons and Chicken Jalfreizi=ginger abs

bluenose81huskys
22nd Feb 2008, 22:16
Hi mplawssix,

As an ex Royal Marine the true answer I can give other than liposuction, there's no quick and easy way to get a six pack. It boils down to a combination of good nutrition, regular exercise and a hefty dose of persistence.

And I hate to tell you this, but not every girl is impressed with a six pack. In fact, my personal experience in such matters is that a lot of them are not the slightest bit interested, despite the claims of various men's magazines to the contrary. Many actually prefer a man with a bit more fat. So if you're doing it solely to impress women, I think you're wasting your time.

To see your six-pack, you need two things: A well-developed rectus abdominis combined with low levels of subcutaneous (under the skin) fat.

Rectus abdominis, which is the six-pack muscle, extends down the stomach from your ribs to your hips. When you lie down on your back and lift the shoulders from the floor, rectus abdominis is the muscle that's doing most of the work.

The six-pack look is the result of bands of connective tissue that "cut" into rectus abdominis. The more developed the rectus abdominis muscle, the deeper the grooves.

how to develop rectus abdominis.

The basic workout template I recommend is this one:

1. Each week, aim to complete all four of these movements at least once, distributed over the week in 2-3 sessions:

• Loaded braced crunch-type movement (e.g. abdominal curls on a Swiss ball, cable crunches, regular crunches)
• Reverse crunch-type movement (e.g. hanging leg raise, reverse ball curl)
• Twisting movement (i.e. cable woodchops, an isometric resisted twist, such as the dumbbell row, would also do the job)
• Plank-type movement (i.e. static plank, ball rollouts)

2. Do 2-3 exercises per workout, 2-3 sets per exercise, 8-15 repetitions per set (using extra resistance where necessary to make the load challenging). Rest 40-60 seconds between sets.

Here’s an example of the type of thing I do. You’ll need to modify it to meet your own needs, making the exercises easier or harder based on your current level of conditioning.

Workout 1 (Monday)
Ball rollouts 2 sets x 12 repetitions
Reverse ball curl 3 sets x 10 repetitions
Cable crunch 2 sets x 8 repetitions

Workout 2 (Thursday)
Hanging leg raise 2 sets x 8 repetitions
Cable woodchop 2 sets x 10 repetitions
Braced, loaded crunch 2 sets x 15 repetitions

Hope this helps,

Richie

fernytickles
23rd Feb 2008, 00:21
The other day someone accused me of not having any abs :uhoh: I told them I certainly did have abs, I was just keeping them insulated against the cold. So there :p

skiesfull
23rd Feb 2008, 07:46
Never mind the 6-packs - bring back the "party-7's"!

Irish_Stu
23rd Feb 2008, 10:34
Who wants a six pack when you can have a keg yeooooo

dfc jr
23rd Feb 2008, 14:02
thats a good one stu - i like that

mutt
23rd Feb 2008, 15:14
New poster that added an URL to his message, I would actually say that was an advertisement rather than a genuine request.

Mutt

englishal
23rd Feb 2008, 16:54
Eat scotch pies from Rosyth dockyard Naafi.....:}

kwachon
23rd Feb 2008, 17:02
Gotta love this Rectus abdominisRectus.. almost blew us apart....no farts please....:}

RudeNot2
23rd Feb 2008, 18:41
I've already got the body of a god - shame it's a Buddha...