PDA

View Full Version : Sectioning Document in Word

boofhead
21st Feb 2008, 16:00
I can section a document in Word 2003. Part One, Two etc for an Ops Manual. I want to put page numbers in each section that have a prefix showing the section number. page 1-22, 5-13 etc.
I cannot find a way to do this; can anyone help please?

Saab Dastard
21st Feb 2008, 16:16
If your document is divided into sections, click in a section or select multiple sections in which you want to change the page number format.

On the Insert menu, click Page Numbers. Click Format.

In the Number format box, click the format you want.

If your document contains multiple chapters or sections, you can restart page numbering with 1 for each section.

SD

Spitoon
21st Feb 2008, 16:32
I think SD has half answered your query. To get the section number in there as well I think you'll need to use fields.

If it will help, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you an example.

Saab Dastard
21st Feb 2008, 17:11
No, you just need to check the tickbox that says "Include Chapter Number".

SD

Spitoon
21st Feb 2008, 17:25
Ahh, interesting.......

I'm not using 2003 (but struggling with this darned ribbon thing!). If I select 'Include Chapter Number' it tells me there is no chapter number and that I have to select a multilevel list and do something with paragraph styles. I remember having this problem with earlier versions too. It seems like you have to put a lot of work into structuring your document properly to get this style of page numbering in this way. Just spent a couple of minutes fiddling to see if I could make it work but no joy.

boofhead, let us know how you get on. Maybe I just set up Word in a way that makes life difficult for myself!

boofhead
21st Feb 2008, 19:11
That's what I found too. I could not get it to give me the chapter numbers. It works on paragraphs but I want the numbers to appear in the footer, or outside the footer if that works better.

Saab Dastard
21st Feb 2008, 21:18
Try This (http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/ChapterNumber.htm)

SD