PDA

View Full Version : Obituaries of Flt Lt Harry Humphries, Adjutant of 617

airborne_artist
21st Feb 2008, 13:22
In the Times (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/obituaries/article3345337.ece)

and the Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/news/2008/02/21/db2102.xml)

When, in March 1943, a bemused Guy Gibson, looking forward to some leave at the end of three tours of operations, was told that he was, in double quick time, to form a special squadron for an as yet unspecified “op”, his thoughts immediately turned to the choice of an adjutant, the CO’s invaluable righthand man on the ground who alone can create order from the chaos that is germane to such situations.

Bomber Command’s own candidate for the post had been found wanting, and Gibson thought of Harry Humphries, whom he had come to admire for his administrative abilities during his previous tour with 106 Squadron. “He had been in business in peacetime and everything from Orderly Room clerk upwards in war,” Gibson recalled in his book Enemy Coast Ahead. “He was mad on flying, but his eyes had stopped him . . . a quick call to Group had him posted within 48 hours.”

Humphries was therefore in at the birth of 617 “Dam Busters” Squadron, and he was to look after its members and nurse the alternately boisterous or shattered spirits of its aircrew on the ground from the moment of his arrival until almost the end of the war. In that time he was to serve under all the COs of what was to become the RAF’s most famous bomber squadron.

Thud_and_Blunder
21st Feb 2008, 18:45
Thanks AA, I'd have missed that if you hadn't posted. I reckon that MID was as well earned as any during the War, considering the people he was trying to help organise!

airborne_artist
21st Feb 2008, 19:40
I reckon that MID was as well earned as any during the War, considering the people he was trying to help organise!Staggered that he only got an MID - there were plenty of xBEs awarded for wartime service, and I'm surprised he didn't get one. Still, he and those her served with knew what he'd done, and I'm sure he and his family were rightly very proud.

Matt Skrossa
22nd Feb 2008, 08:14
Fascinating obituary and although not aircrew he was patently held in high respect by his fellow squadron members and senior officers. Having the job of compiling letters to the relatives of lost aircrew must have been a particularly difficult task.

I recall that after the debrief for Op Chastise Guy Gibson gave 617 Squadron a stand-down, but he stayed behind to help write letters and reports, presumably Harry Humphries was there too? I am due to visit Scampton soon so I'll have a quiet moment of reflection near 617's old hangar.