PDA

View Full Version : ON-wing AMM & SRM use

GEnxsux
21st Feb 2008, 08:26
Hi,

Hopefully this is an easy question for someone to answer: -

An aircraft (my question is for the A319/320/321 with V2500 specifically) comes in for an A or C check with no scheduled engine removal planned. When inspecting the nacelle regions of the aircraft (AIC, FCDs, T/R, CNA etc) the main useable document is the AMM, containing all insp/chck tasks, off-wing repairs etc. My question is, what dictates when the vendor SRM (structural repair manual) is used? This also contains field repairs & allowable damage limits.

I’m completely confused on when & how the SRM is used so any input would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Vortechs Jenerator
21st Feb 2008, 12:45
The inspection crtiteria is driven by the Maint shcedule for the aircraft and the maint manual ref (AMM page block 601) will tell you what to look at.

If the damage found is not then covered by the aircraft SRM and you know the item is manufactured by a sub contracted company and they provide a vendorrs CMM (component maintenance manual), then you have a shufty through that for repair solution.

You have to be careful here about authority to repair IAW CMM though. If it is off wing, the part needs to be in your company capability list (in the MOE, Maint Org Expositio) for you to be able to repair it as a stand alone component and issue an EASA Form one.

If your vendor provided part IS covered in the A/C SRM then you use that as your repair authority on or off wing.

IF the damage is in neither manual then you approach the A/C manufacturer for a repair with design authority confirmation (RAS etc)

Hope that helps a bit, difficult to get accross easily.

Fargoo
21st Feb 2008, 16:10
Still a bit of a grey area, is an engine classes as a component in the true meaning of the word?
If the CNA is damaged is the repair scheme in your Airbus SRM - if not you really need to be careful as to what you use to certify against any repair.
At our outfit we can use the engine manuals to certify against only on the authority of our powerplant department. If however the damage was in the pylon area it'd most likely be in the Airbus SRM and we are allowed to certify against that.
Tends to vary company to company and your quality dept is the best place to call on to find the definitive answer.

GEnxsux
22nd Feb 2008, 07:48
Thanks for your replies, all good information. Seems very grey indeed! Not as defined as I'd hoped.

Using a T/R on an airbus as an example: -

On-wing (line) – Airbus AMM is the document to use, which contains inspection criteria, allowable damage limits & basic on-wing repairs just there to prevent AOGs & ensure T/R is serviceable.

On-wing (base) – If possible use Goodrich SRM, which contains more extensive T/R structural on-wing repairs.

Off-wing (base) – Use Goodrich CMM (with references to further SRM tasks) & associated VCMMs.