PDA

View Full Version : Email send problem

BOAC
20th Feb 2008, 22:00
I have a domain hosted with '3ix'. Initial impressions good, but now I find the tech support appears to be staffed by baboons (NB insult to baboons).

Here is the problem - see if anyone here can sort it out?

The Pop server will NOT send to another mail address I have. This is returned:-

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '[email protected]'. Subject 'test', Account: 'zzzz@3ix', Server: 'mail.3ix.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 unknown user', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Now, all other servers manage to send to '[email protected]'. The Pop on my domain, zzzz@3ix, WILL send to other email addresses ok. I reckon they have a DNS resolution problem at 3ix. They keep on sending emails to the originating address, zzzz@3ix thus claiming it 'sorted', and telling me I have the wrong settings in OE.

Saab Dastard
20th Feb 2008, 22:56
BOAC,

POP3 servers do not send, they receive.

SMTP servers send mail.

SD

stickyb
21st Feb 2008, 01:38
I notice you are using Secure SSL, which means you must supply login paramaters to 'mail.3ix.com' Are you sure these are correct?

Try using non secure method to see if that works.

Bushfiva
21st Feb 2008, 04:27
I notice you are using Secure SSL

Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No

stickyb
21st Feb 2008, 04:53
Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No
Apologies, that will teach me to reply to a post early in the morning.

BOAC
21st Feb 2008, 07:25
Correct, SD- my error. The mailbox is called a POP mailbox. The email address is correctly configured as you can see from other successful 'sends'. The 'test' email I am trying to get to work is simply that - Title 'test', text 'test'. It does not send. I have tried ports other than 25 with no success. I can Telnet in. The tech support is frightening!

Saab Dastard
21st Feb 2008, 09:12
BOAC,

Still not clear what your problem is!

Are you saying that you can't send ANY emails from one account to the other? Or you cannot send a message with the subject of TEST, while all other messages between your 2 accounts are fine?

Are the 2 addresses aliases for a single mailbox?

SD

BOAC
21st Feb 2008, 10:54
Are you saying that you can't send ANY emails from one account to the other? - Yes from the 3ix hosted domain popbox to t'other popbox

Or you cannot send a message with the subject of TEST - see above

while all other messages between your 2 accounts are fine? - yes if they are not from '1' to '2'

Are the 2 addresses aliases for a single mailbox? - separate hosts

Saab Dastard
21st Feb 2008, 16:20
What is a "popbox"?

BOAC
21st Feb 2008, 17:19
Its what they call it, I think - a Pop mailbox. What's in a name?

Anyway, I have contacted tech support at the other host, FreeParking (who do not seem to be 'babooned' and answer far more quickly and helpfully) to see if they can offer any useful suggestions. Semantics are less important than getting the damn thing working.

Saab Dastard
21st Feb 2008, 18:03
"550 unknown user" suggests that the message is reaching the yyyyy.com mail server. Perhaps 3ix are correct.

Have you examined the full headers on the messages? Perhaps you can post them?

SD

Andy Rylance
21st Feb 2008, 18:44
What you need to find is the SMTP log files for the server that is trying to send your mail. It will usually contain something like:

HELO etc etc

and show each step that the server is taking to try to deliver your mail. It sounds like the SMTP server that you are sending on does not have the correct mail exchanger address for the server you are sending to... maybe one problem

Try a totally different email account such as hotmail gmail and see how that gets on delivering things...

BOAC
21st Feb 2008, 18:57
Have you examined the full headers on the messages? Perhaps you can post them? - err, there are no 'headers' - the email is not sending!

andy - difficult to get any sense out of 3ix, since my 'baboonese' is not fluent and I'm not sure the lot I deal with would know what a SMTP server log is.......:ugh: The t'other lot, FreeParking, have again responded promptly and impressively and sent this
<It sounds like it could well be a DNS or even database issue. There might be a problem if the xxx.biz site was ever on their name servers and their systems think the domain still is but don't recognise the email address.
When a similar error comes up for us we would reload the zone file, check
whether the domain to which the email is being sent was ever on our name servers and check the logfiles of the servers to see if we could spot a problem in there. Are you able to send from the webmail interface with them or are you only having problems when sending via the email client?
Do you have trouble sending to any other address from that box? If, after they get back to you there is still no joy send a test and let me know when it was sent - I will then check that the message never hit our
servers.>

That has gone to 3ix in the vain hope that someone there understands.